Is there a huge difference between Double Hung and Sliders?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
CB_Windows

Is there a huge difference between Double Hung and Sliders?

#1 Post by CB_Windows »

I'm somewhat torn at the moment between sliders and double hungs.

Replacing my existing sliders with sliders will require fewer windows than replacing with double hungs.

However, it is my understanding that double hungs are more efficient than sliders. Possibly double hungs will be more reliable long term?

What I'm trying to decide is if it would be worth the extra money to replace with double hungs.

Going the mixed slider/double hung route will put me around 13 windows total.

Going with maximum double hungs will put me at 19 windows at the least.

The bottom line is, am I shooting myself in the foot by purchasing sliders to save money? Will they cost me more in the long run due to being less efficient and less structually sound?

I am currently deciding between Great Lakes Seabrooke, Simonton Reflections, and Soft-Lite Imperial LS lines.

Thanks!

Windows on Washington

Re: Is there a huge difference between Double Hung and Sliders?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

A good slider should serve you just fine as well.

Double hung will be a bit tighter from an air standpoint and have a bit of a structural advantage over the Slider option.

In terms of efficiency, the thermal and solar numbers should be very close.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

+1 to WOW's comments. Sliders would serve you well and the sacrifice in performance would be minimal. As far a durability, I don't see any increase in issues with sliders, in fact, there are probably less as they are a simpler design. I'd also add that you have three pretty nice window choices there. I'd base your final product and configuration choice on whichever you like best. :)

CB_Windows

#4 Post by CB_Windows »

HomeSealed wrote:I'd also add that you have three pretty nice window choices there. I'd base your final product and configuration choice on whichever you like best. :)
The Simonton 5500 line is very well respected here, but on paper it does seem a bit... lacking.

The Imperial LS has foam insulation throughout the cavities of the frame. It also has the K-Beam for added structural integrity.

The Seabrooke offers foam inserts in the frame. It also offers a fiberglass reinforcement in the frame.

The Simonton 5500 doesn't seem to offer either of these options. To me that seems somewhat worrisome. The salesman stated that it is a thicker extrusion and that is why it doesn't offer those features. Whether or not that is true I honestly don't know.

Can anyone here comment on this? I can't fathom the 5500 being so highly recommended if it truly is lacking. Perhaps it isn't, but to someone like myself that is trying to compare based on brochures and manufacturer websites it seems so.

buddy110

#5 Post by buddy110 »

CB_Windows wrote:
HomeSealed wrote:I'd also add that you have three pretty nice window choices there. I'd base your final product and configuration choice on whichever you like best. :)
The Simonton 5500 line is very well respected here, but on paper it does seem a bit... lacking.

The Imperial LS has foam insulation throughout the cavities of the frame. It also has the K-Beam for added structural integrity.

The Seabrooke offers foam inserts in the frame. It also offers a fiberglass reinforcement in the frame.

The Simonton 5500 doesn't seem to offer either of these options. To me that seems somewhat worrisome. The salesman stated that it is a thicker extrusion and that is why it doesn't offer those features. Whether or not that is true I honestly don't know.

Can anyone here comment on this? I can't fathom the 5500 being so highly recommended if it truly is lacking. Perhaps it isn't, but to someone like myself that is trying to compare based on brochures and manufacturer websites it seems so.

The Softlite is the best of the three. Sliders will be fine as long as they are installed oproperly

Skydawggy

#6 Post by Skydawggy »

CB_Windows wrote:

What makes you believe foam filling and reinforcements are needed to make a window "not lacking"? Do you have any idea of how much foam filling affects the U-factor? Why do you believe a "K" beam will prevent warping any better than a metal reinforcement?

If I put tires on my Chevy Malibu rated to 155 MPH would you consider them lacking as compared to ones rated to 200 MPH, or would you ask why you need tires rated to 200 MPH on a Chevy Malibu?

CB_Windows

#7 Post by CB_Windows »

EcoStar Windows wrote:What makes you believe foam filling and reinforcements are needed to make a window "not lacking"? Do you have any idea of how much foam filling affects the U-factor? Why do you believe a "K" beam will prevent warping any better than a metal reinforcement?

If I put tires on my Chevy Malibu rated to 155 MPH would you consider them lacking as compared to ones rated to 200 MPH, or would you ask why you need tires rated to 200 MPH on a Chevy Malibu?
I don't know if the reinforcements or insulation are needed, that's why I'm here. I'm trying to understand if those features are truly necessary in a window or if they are superfluous marketing. If the experts here tell me not to worry about those features I'm confident in that advice.

Your example, though extreme, is very apt. That is exactly the answer I am looking for. I know cars, and I know that putting 200mph tires on a Malibu is unnecessary. I don't know windows, so I don't know if frame filled insulation and extra reinforcement are necessary.

In your opinion, does the lack of the features touted by Soft-Lite and Great Lakes make the Simonton a less comparable alternative? I'm guessing not.

To me that points to marketing I can now safely ignore in my comparison between these manufacturers. Or at worst it points to deficiencies in the Soft-Lite and Great Lakes windows that require upgrades to make them comparable to the Simonton.

Knowing and understanding this will help me greatly and I appreciate education. :)

Skydawggy

#8 Post by Skydawggy »

It is the window salesman's job to point out the differences between his product and others and to convince the consumers that the differences are worth paying extra or that the consumer will somehow feel some pain unless they buy the salesmans product. We have them around here that make claims that unless the consumer buys his low air infiltration window that the consumer will suffer from hayfever from all that additional pollen blowing thru the house if they buy a competitors window. I almost fell over laughing when I heard that one.

I would say you are well on your way to becoming a very educated consumer.

Windowsage

#9 Post by Windowsage »

You might want to look at some other make windows too. I have installed hundreds of CertainTeed and with very good results and customer satisfaction. They offer a lot of features for the money with their sliders.

Skydawggy

#10 Post by Skydawggy »

The only time Certainteed had a decent quality window was when Simonton made them.

HomeSealed

#11 Post by HomeSealed »

The Cetainteed/MI/Cutting Edge/Xact window does not deserve consideration compared to the other 3 choices... I'd agree with buddy that the LS is probably the best choice of the bunch if all else was equal. That being said, these truly are 3 good choices. As Eco stated, the type of reinforcement and foam filling doesn't necessarily distinguish a quality product from a poor one. Any of your three choices are good quality, well engineered products and you'd be hard pressed to find an honest "window guy" that would disagree. If there is any one of those products that is commanding a substantial premium, I'd toss it out. Quality of installation and trustworthiness of the install company are paramount in your decision making process at this point.

CB_Windows

#12 Post by CB_Windows »

HomeSealed wrote:If there is any one of those products that is commanding a substantial premium, I'd toss it out. Quality of installation and trustworthiness of the install company are paramount in your decision making process at this point.
That might be the most important statement as it is definitely the case in my situation.

With the Seabrooke's being the baseline the Simonton's command a $3,000 premium and the Imperial LS a staggering $6,300 premium. That is almost double the cost of the Seabrooke.

Unfortunately no one else in the state carries Soft-Lite. I did find a number of building supply warehouses that can order Simonton. I called one today and they hooked me up with an independent contractor that is going to take measurements and quote an install price. I'll use his measurements and get the cost directly from the supply warehouse. Perhaps that will work out for me.

Thanks again for all your help. I'll post more as I wrap up the process.

warrantyservice

#13 Post by warrantyservice »

EcoStar Windows wrote:The only time Certainteed had a decent quality window was when Simonton made them.

Yes I agree, and Anlin when they Manufactured them on the West Coast. Anlin modeled their Business to Simonton, quite the compliment if you ask me.

HomeSealed

#14 Post by HomeSealed »

CB_Windows wrote:
HomeSealed wrote:If there is any one of those products that is commanding a substantial premium, I'd toss it out. Quality of installation and trustworthiness of the install company are paramount in your decision making process at this point.
That might be the most important statement as it is definitely the case in my situation.

With the Seabrooke's being the baseline the Simonton's command a $3,000 premium and the Imperial LS a staggering $6,300 premium. That is almost double the cost of the Seabrooke.

Unfortunately no one else in the state carries Soft-Lite. I did find a number of building supply warehouses that can order Simonton. I called one today and they hooked me up with an independent contractor that is going to take measurements and quote an install price. I'll use his measurements and get the cost directly from the supply warehouse. Perhaps that will work out for me.

Thanks again for all your help. I'll post more as I wrap up the process.
Ouch! I would say the Softlite is a little bit better, but certainly not for an extra $6300 unless the other guys are hacks. I'd say the Seabrooke and the Simonton are a horse a piece, although I have more experience with the Great Lakes product so I'd probably lean that way... Gorell and Sunrise are a couple other good choices if there is something keeping you from selecting one of the three that you've already seen...Just for comparison purposes, a typical price range for quality replacement windows would be anywhere between $400-$900 depending on options, location, and other factors.

CB_Windows

#15 Post by CB_Windows »

HomeSealed wrote:Ouch! I would say the Softlite is a little bit better, but certainly not for an extra $6300 unless the other guys are hacks. I'd say the Seabrooke and the Simonton are a horse a piece, although I have more experience with the Great Lakes product so I'd probably lean that way... Gorell and Sunrise are a couple other good choices if there is something keeping you from selecting one of the three that you've already seen...Just for comparison purposes, a typical price range for quality replacement windows would be anywhere between $400-$900 depending on options, location, and other factors.
Thanks, HomeSealed.

I tried Gorell and Sunrise but neither responded to my inquiries regarding their product in my state. I presume they aren't available since they didn't respond.

Unfortunately Soft-Lite is out for me. They used to be carried by two companies in my area but were dropped by one. The company that does carry Soft-Lite is the one with outrageous pricing.

I am down to Great Lakes and Simonton.

Great Lakes is carried by a full service company. Their price is fair IMO.

Simonton I would get through a building supply warehouse. I met yesterday with a contractor the supply warehouse recommended. He took measurements and is putting together a quote for the install.

My gut feeling is that the Simonton package will be less expensive with a better install. I won't know until I get the install quote though.

The Great Lakes will likely be more expensive by about $1,000. However, if something goes wrong with the windows I can go directly to the single company that handled the sale and install.

I'm ready for this process to be over! :)