Windows for SF Bay Area Home

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
nookway

Windows for SF Bay Area Home

#1 Post by nookway »

Our house is in Mountain View, CA. We are currently in the middle of a remodel/extension to our house. New windows will be added to the extension and the current ones will be replaced. Based on our contract with the general contractor I will be buying windows and he will be installing all the windows. I need help/advice on two things.

1. Which is the best brand for this area? Based on all the past posts it seems the decision should be between Anlin Catalina/Coronado, Simonton 7300/7500 or Milgard Tuscany. Which one would you recommend? The other question is where can I buy windows only without the installation included in the cost? Also how much is the price difference (approximate) between these tree options?

2. The only brand my contractor can procure for me is the Milgard Tuscany one. For any other brand I need to get them myself. How good or bad will it be if I am unable to go with the recommendation in 1 above and have to go with Milgard Tuscany?

Look forward to your responses.

Thanks for your advice!

- N

Skydawggy

Re: Windows for SF Bay Area Home

#2 Post by Skydawggy »

All of the mentioned brands are decent windows and will serve you well if installed properly.

Pricing is determined by the individual retailer. Best advice is to shop around and make your decision based on which one you like the best with price as only a secondary consideration.

You can locate a Simonton distributor by going to Simonton.Com and entering your zip code into the "where to buy" option.

I would seriously consider having your windows professionally installed by an experienced window company. Most of the complaints we hear about windows are installation related and often they are installed by "jack of all trades" GC's wo are focused on the bottom line.

nookway

#3 Post by nookway »

Ecostar Windows,

Thanks for your response. I have reached out to a few professional installers to get a quote. One thing I learned in the process is that I need the windows to have a nail fin setback of 1 inch with stucco key as I have a stucco exterior. This limits me to Milgard as I understand. Would you recommend any other window manufacturer who would be able to provide the same.

Thanks again,

N.

Skydawggy

#4 Post by Skydawggy »

Sorry I can't help you. I am in Northern virginia and I am just not familiar enough with West Coast windows to be of much help other than to advise you to talk to a few companies. I find it hard to believe that the only window you can use is Milgard.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

nookway wrote:Ecostar Windows,

Thanks for your response. I have reached out to a few professional installers to get a quote. One thing I learned in the process is that I need the windows to have a nail fin setback of 1 inch with stucco key as I have a stucco exterior. This limits me to Milgard as I understand. Would you recommend any other window manufacturer who would be able to provide the same.

Thanks again,

N.
That should be quite easy to locate in that area of the country as that is one of the more common install methodologies for that region.

pilot

#6 Post by pilot »

Both Anlin and Amerimax sell the fin and set back you need. Contact Customer Exteriors for Anlin or XO Tech for Amerimax. Amerimax is growing and Anlin is shrinking as companies.

nookway

#7 Post by nookway »

Thank you all for the feedback I have reached out to Amerimax dealers.

nookway

#8 Post by nookway »

I think I can get Amerimax as well. I have sent an email to some of the local dealers. I would like your feedback on two things:

1. Which window is a better window? Milgard Tuscany or Amerimax Grande Series.
2. From a cost perspective which is more expensive of the two?

Thanks again for all your feedback!