Confused

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Confusion

Confused

#1 Post by Confusion »

I have been on the forum reading and researching for a few weeks now and want to thank all of you for the information that has been shared on here.

I have quotes from 2 companies that sell "exclusive" versions of a Simonton window. I have a 28" wide wide that has a half circle on top that is 14" tall. One company states that Simonton can not make it and the other company states that they can get a Simonton window that size.
my question is: Can/Will Simonton make a half round that is 28" wide x 14" tall?
Thank you for your help,
Confused

Windows on Washington

Re: Confused

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Paging Bill....

I don't see why they would not make that window. That is not an uncommon size but perhaps it is on the lower limit of what they can accommodate.

Skydawggy

#3 Post by Skydawggy »

I can't recall if I have ordered a circle top that small. I know we order them often that are 32x16. A quick call to the factory would answer that question.

samantha77

#4 Post by samantha77 »

It probably depends on which Simonton extrusion they are using. Since they're telling you they are using "exclusive" windows you probably don't know which actual Simonton window it is, but I'd bet that's making the difference. Some of their windows use thicker frames than others and a think frame window typically has a larger minimum size.

So, they may both be telling you the truth. To figure out the mystery I would start by finding out which actual model they are talking about. Keep in mind a window with a thick frame will reduce the glass space of an already small window so that's something to keep in mind. Good luck!

Skydawggy

#5 Post by Skydawggy »

Like nearly all manufacturers, Simonton only uses one extrusion for all their specialty shaped windows, casements, bays etc. So it shouldn't matter whether it's a private label or not. Most private labels are only for double hungs and sliders.

What is the private label named?

shamu

#6 Post by shamu »

28" half round should not be a problem. Many manufacturers make 24" half rounds. They also will have different profiles to match like profiles of their SH or DH lines for both appearance and frame depths.

Bill

#7 Post by Bill »

Yes Simonton can make a half round 28”; the minimum width on both profiles they make shapes from is 27 ½”

samantha77

#8 Post by samantha77 »

So they do make shapes from 2 profiles? That's good news, I was affraid I was losing my gift of silly product knowledge :wink:

Although it looks like my theory on why one company would say no was wrong. I suppose I should have led with with ol' standby of "the salesman probably didn't know what he was talking about". It's always the easy answer...

Confusion

#9 Post by Confusion »

To clarify. Simonton does makes a 28" X 14" half round. But I also have a pair of 24" X 12" half-round windows. I had always thought they were the same size as the other set that has a 28" x 14" half round. Evidently Simonton does not make the 24" x 12". I have hears that NT Windows can make the 24". Does anybody know any other companies that will make a 24" X 12" half round?
Thanks for your Help