need your input

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
elena

need your input

#1 Post by elena »

Hello,
I have a 2-store house with twenty-two windows and one sliding door that should be replaced. However, I don't think that I can replace all windows at once. It is too costly.
So far, I had only one estimate, which was very pricey. This company sells Brothers Windows. I am going to get another estimate, and that company sells Simonton Windows.

I live in Southern California where is very hot. Unfortunately, my house is located on a hill, and the sun is baking it.
What windows are good for such a climate?
Any suggestion is welcome.

randy

Re: need your input

#2 Post by randy »

After getting the Simonton estimate, you might look for an Anlin dealer. They have a good reputation on the West coast.

Skydawggy

#3 Post by Skydawggy »

3 good choices in SoCal would be Simonton, Amerimax & Milgard. Ask for either Cardinal 366 or PPG SB70 glass.

elena

#4 Post by elena »

Thank you for such a prompt replies.
How about Brothers Windows? Have you ever heard about them?
Here are few more questions:

1). As I wrote before, I probably will not be able to install all the windows at once.
My second floor gets hot even I have a whole-house van installed. There are 8 windows there. The rest of the windows are on the first floor.
Where is better to start: in the second or the first floor?

2). Will the installation of these windows really reduce the hit on the second floor? How much?

3). If you are familiar(Southern California )with this area what are the good companies to call for good windows, good installation, and good company? Any suggestions?

4). Would you suggest to go with a smaller family-owned company or with a big one?

Thank you for your advices.

jeff1995

#5 Post by jeff1995 »

I am guessing that you are in the Orange County or San Diego area. I know of Brothers, but neither sell or install them. EcoStar is spot on with his 3 choices and glass selection. You might also consider Superior Windows. Factory is in Ontario, Ca. You say the property is hillside. I would recommend that you replace the South and West side, entire, but that depends on the orientation of the home and many other factors that only a on-site inspection, by competent window company, would provide. As for a competent installation company you will have to research that. At a bare minimum ensure that the company is licensed, insured and that their main focus is window replacement. As for any claims to energy savings of your second floor, that is unknown.

elena

#6 Post by elena »

I finally got a few estimates and now need to make a decision which one I will go with.
Two choices: Amerimax/Brothers windows and Simonton.

1). Amerimax/Brothers windows: Vynal Windows - UV .27, AG3,LowE Argon fill Truewarm Spacer . Life-time warranty including glass breakage.

2). This is what I copies from the estimate for Simonton -
Impression, 7300, LowE Argon Gas, double-strength glass, UV - .29, double-time ferrable warranty including glass breakage and screen replacement due to mesh(1 year ) damage. Tempered grass is also included. Specialty cutglass V-Groove glass included. Most labor is covered by Simonton concerning warranty issue, but all must be approved by Simonton.
I do not understand the last sentences. I guess I need to ask about it.
The price is almost the same. Simonton is slightly less but they do not offer financing.

I still cannot get the information about the installation fees. Brothers rep told me that it is “life-time warranty’’, but I am not sure if this is correct.

What would you recommend: Brothers or Simonton?
Thank you for your time.
Elena