How do you install shims?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Texwindow

How do you install shims?

#1 Post by Texwindow »

How do you install shims? Do you run the screw through the shims? Or Do you insert your screws and then wedge the shims between the frame of the window and the roughin. Please help? I just installed 2 each window and have only about a 3/16in to 1/4 inch gap between the window and the rough-in? I try putting shims in, but they are a pain in ***. Whats the trick? Thanks for any advice. :x

ranger

Re: How do you install shims?

#2 Post by ranger »

you would be surprised how easy it is if you had a pro do it in the first place. why would you install a window without knowing how to shim? not trying to be a hard ass,just curious.

toddinmn

#3 Post by toddinmn »

I would shim behind the screws before screwing.You may need to shim between above and below the screws as well depending if the windows have jamb adjusters or not.Some of the cheaper windows need more shimming due to thinner or not as well designed extrusions.You may find it easier to use a wider shim as they will not fall out as easy.what kind of windows and what brand are you installing?
Too bad one can't ask for advise without getting their balls busted.

Texwindow

#4 Post by Texwindow »

I always like to learn new things. I have a construction back ground along with HVAC. So I do not think I am going out side my bounds. So be a pal and answer my question. Dont worry my try anthing adittude will not cause you to loose your job. You seem offended by my willingness to do things and learn things on my own. I am sure you had to learn how to shim at one time also, Didnt you? Thanks
Last edited by Texwindow on Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Texwindow

#5 Post by Texwindow »

Thanks for the advise toddinmn. I am installing Jeld-wen Premium vinyl frames.

toddinmn

#6 Post by toddinmn »

not familiar with all of Jeld-Wens offerings but if they are the cheapo's from menard's and the like they usually require a little extra shimming.Make sure to keep the sight lines between the frame and sash even through shimming and keep the windows level and square and as plumb as the frame or framing allows.Some casements can be problematic if not set perfectly square.Let us know how it turns out.