Wasco vs AllAmerican/softlite?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
gatoramal

Wasco vs AllAmerican/softlite?

#1 Post by gatoramal »

I'm looking to replace some windows and am trying to decide between Wasco and AllAmerican/softlite. The product seemed comparable and the prices were pretty close. I've seen a few positive reviews of Wasco, but none for All American (Germantown WI). Anyone out there in the Milwaukee area have an opinion?

randy

Re: Wasco vs AllAmerican/softlite?

#2 Post by randy »

There's a regular contributing pro here - Homesealed, who serves the Milwaukee area. He's extremely knowledgeable and professional. I'd recommend getting an estimate from him. There's no one better in your area.

Here's a thread he's been active on. If you'll click on the "contact" or "get a quote" button, it will get you to him.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4890

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

HomeSealed is a top notch pro and I would absolutely recommend you give him a call.

crankthisout

#4 Post by crankthisout »

Wasco, Wellington and Stanek all manufacture and install their own windows. Wasco actually makes them right in Milwaukee. Just about all others are dealers giving you seperate install and product warranties.

Skydawggy

#5 Post by Skydawggy »

So what?

crankthisout

#6 Post by crankthisout »

Peace of mind having one company responsible for all aspects of the work. Manufacture, delivery, installation, and service.
Less chance of run around if/when a service is required.

"It's the windows fault, call the manufacturer" or "It's not the windows fault it was the installation." This is heard all the time and can be very frustrating for some homeowners.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

What worthwhile company does that?

I have dealt with "factory" servicing and we are far better than most I have ever dealt with.

lex luther

#8 Post by lex luther »

What's the point of a middle man.. to take your money for no purpose.

Why do you think big companies like RBA take care of there own just like Wasco.

There is no denying this fact.

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

lex luther wrote:What's the point of a middle man.. to take your money for no purpose.

Have you seen what Andersen charges for their RBA window? If there is no middle man, shouldn't the window be, in theory, less expensive?

HomeSealed

#10 Post by HomeSealed »

Here is a fact: The vast majority of companies who claim to "make/manufacture" their own windows simply purchase a bunch a parts from various suppliers in varying stages of completion, and assemble them to a finished product. There is nothing inherently wrong with this-- in fact, I'd say that the companies mentioned in this post all offer a solid product. That being said, there is no distinct advantage from a consumer's perspective either. Any said advantage of "eliminating the middle man", or anything of that nature is pure hyperbole. The "replacement window industry" is a highly refined game, and this is just one more sales "gimmick".... In the interest of full disclosure, I am an independent dealer who installs the products of prominent nationwide manufacturers, however, imho, that is the superior choice. Actual manufacturers such as Softlite, Gorell, etc, do far more volume and can spend far more on r & d than regional "manufacture/install" firms, which leads to a highly refined product with a trustworthy warranty.... A good product/install can be had either way, it really just comes down to finding a trustworthy and qualified installation company who is dedicated to their craft, and dedicated to delivering the highest quality possible in every regard.
Last edited by HomeSealed on Tue May 31, 2011 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HomeSealed

#11 Post by HomeSealed »

Windows on Washington wrote:
lex luther wrote:What's the point of a middle man.. to take your money for no purpose.

Have you seen what Andersen charges for their RBA window? If there is no middle man, shouldn't the window be, in theory, less expensive?
:lol: :lol: :lol: ..... I'd also ask the difference between RBA "licensing" their product to independently owned dealers, and the actions of other manufacturers (ie: Softlite, Gorell, Sunrise, etc) that do the same.... What's the name of the RBA Milwaukee dealer? Isn't it Independent Window Solutions , or something along those lines?

Skydawggy

#12 Post by Skydawggy »

There's plenty of denying your non- fact. It's pretty obvious you know very little about the window industry or business models in general. A very large number of companies who both manufacture AND install are some of the highest priced windows you could buy. Champion, RBA, etc. Lack of competitiveness in a product always results in higher prices and usually lower quality installations. This is also almost always true for private label and limited dealership business model too, although not quite as prevalent.

lex luther

#13 Post by lex luther »

RBA has fiberglass frames that's why it's more expensive and obviously costs more. Second of all you can get a good price on Champion windows if you know what you doing and don't let the sales people rip you off. That's how they make there money and that's the consumers fault for being pressured. First of all don't let the sales person monopolize your time, it's your house your rules and you need to be strong and don't let them bully you. If you do that you'll get a fine window at a good price with no middle man. It's simple, the more people you have to pay the more it's going to cost. If you can get everything done by one party it will be cheaper, this is a fact. This is economics 101. I understand you are the pros on this site so you are defending you turf and actually are the middle men in this case. I'm sure you do a excellent job but some people really have a very tight budget and are trying to save money.

Skydawggy

#14 Post by Skydawggy »

I'm not defending anything. I'm telling you you are wrong and don't know what you are talking about. We have people coming on here all the time who have purchased very good quality windows from Sunrise, okna, Soft-Lite and Gorell for under $500 installed. I have never heard of anyone purchasing a Champion Window equally equipped for anywhere near that price. You say if you happen to be a really good negotiator you can get a good deal, well, I've never heard of it and why should a homeowner have to be a good negotiator to get a good deal? That implies you will get ripped off if your skills aren't as good. Why should a homeowner have to be subjected to used car tactics to get a good deal?

I won't go into the local factories in Northern Virginia by name because the hate mail will start but I can tell you I can install a better quality window for substantially less than any of the "we make our own windows" brands or the exclusive dealerships such as those et up by AMI, Serious Windows, Thermal Industies etc. all of which have huge marketing expenses and management costs, sales commissions, sales management expenses etc. which are added into the cost of the windows.

And that's a FACT.

Windows on Washington

#15 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

The negotiating skills of the customer should not determine what type of price they get. By that math, the widow who has never previously contracted for a remodel on her home is going to get the drastically shorter end of the stick as compared to the used car salesman that owns a home.

Is that really fair.

On a second note, if you are claiming that you know the RBA model so well and are an expert on their approach, yet do not know what the window is made of, you argument is like a house of cards. Nothing about the Fibrex (not fiberglass) material is any more expensive than well engineered vinyl.