Best Deal: Soft-Lite vs Sunrise vs Simonton

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
abartonkc

Best Deal: Soft-Lite vs Sunrise vs Simonton

#1 Post by abartonkc »

I'm in the Kansas City area and have 3 quotes from dealers offering these windows. I know these are the preferred brands on this site, so I'm looking for some guidance on the best deal of the 3. Each quote is for 9 double hung, 2 single casements, 2 sliders, 1 awning casement and 2 very expensive half round windows. I'm considering having the half rounds taken out completely, but I'm not sure if there is a good technique for remodeling that window hole.

Here are the windows and prices:

Soft-Lite Imperial LS with 7/8", Argon, Solarban 70XL and Super Spacer - with half-rounds $9495, w/o half rounds $8345
Sunrise Reflections with Omega 12 glass pack - with half-rounds - $9021, w/o half-rounds $7671
Simonton Reflection 5500 with 3/4", Argon, ProSolar Low E and U-channel Intercept - with half-rounds $7290, w/o half rounds $5380

Are there any options, specifically, on these windows that I should be considering that isn't already included?

randy

Re: Best Deal: Soft-Lite vs Sunrise vs Simonton

#2 Post by randy »

The Sunrise Restorations and the Soft-lite Imperial LS are the better windows. Simonton's 5500 is a good window, but not a great window. If your budget permits, I'd go with either Sunrise or Soft-lite. Do you prefer one over the other in terms of aesthetics?

abartonkc

#3 Post by abartonkc »

I'm torn between the Sunrise and the Soft-Lite windows. Each has features I like, that the other doesn't have. In the Sunrise I like the larger glass area, but I don't know if the air infiltration numbers on it, match that of the Soft-Lite. On the Soft-Lite, I've read good things on this board about the Super Spacer and I like the idea of the interlocking sill-sash rail on the double hung windows. The Soft-Lite comes with a reinforced sash rail, I don't know if this is an option on the Sunrise.

Overall long term durability is a key feature I'm concerned with, and right now I think the Soft-Lite window has the edge, but I don't know if I'm justified in saying that. If anyone would be willing to confirm or disagree, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

Skydawggy

#4 Post by Skydawggy »

You are looking at 2 really well made windows. My decision would center more around which company you felt would do the best installation and provide the highest level of customer service should the need arise.
Last edited by Skydawggy on Sat May 28, 2011 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

EcoStar Windows wrote:You are looking at 2 really well made windows. My decision would center more around which company you felt would do the best installation and provide the highest level of cutomer service should the need arise.
+1

You can't go wrong with either.

abartonkc

#6 Post by abartonkc »

Does the prices I've been quoted seem reasonable for these windows?

Skydawggy

#7 Post by Skydawggy »

I don't see any red flags.

windowmike

#8 Post by windowmike »

What a deal
SoftLite with super spacer no solarban 70 and triple pane argon
Two circle windows at 900 seems fair
Are they individual or mulled to DH
Mulled units would strongly advise new

abartonkc

#9 Post by abartonkc »

Honestly, neither I nor my wife want the half round windows. Both are placed just above a set of 3 vertical and 2 vertical windows at the front of the house. We'd rather insulate and close the opening than replace the windows. We were thinking of leaving the window trim that is on the exterior and capping the opening with a decorative vent gable. Anyone have experience doing something like this?