Newtown Slocum Harmony Replacement Windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
ggamz10

Newtown Slocum Harmony Replacement Windows

#1 Post by ggamz10 »

I am considering Newtown Slocum Harmony Series Windows as replacement windows. Does anyone have any information on this product?

buddy110

Re: Newtown Slocum Harmony Replacement Windows

#2 Post by buddy110 »

I would put Slocum windows in the mid range of quality. Also their manufacturing plant is a bit antiquated.

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I would look at some really good windows like HiMark, Softlite, Okna, or sunrise.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

+1 to both comments above. :D

zephyrjs

#5 Post by zephyrjs »

Hi - I am also considering the Harmony windows, and they are ridiculously cheap. I examined them carefully, and I couldn't see anything blatantly wrong with them; in fact, they seemed superior in many respects to some of the other windows I'm looking at, like the Excalibur and the Newpro's lowest end window. They are about 30% cheaper than the Excalibur. The U factor is SLIGHTLY worse (by about 2%) but the fudge-factor in the way they measure the U factor means that 2% is almost meaningless.

I have the same question - this seems too good to be true. Are these windows just pure junk for some reason that I can't fathom, or are they simply perfectly good windows that happen to be dirt cheap?

Thanks!
-- Zephyr
Last edited by zephyrjs on Tue May 22, 2012 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#6 Post by masterext »

the excalibur is a lower grade window and is never recommended. newton slocomb is a decent mid grade that is ok...
however, when i hear " ridiculously cheap" , a red flag goes up. make sure you are getting what you pay for and make sure the installer is a true window contractor and not some jack of all trades the neighbors recommend just because he is cheap. that will be an expensive mistake.

zephyrjs

#7 Post by zephyrjs »

He's been doing windows for 30 years; he's not a "windows guy" but he is definitely knowledgeable, and he particularly likes this window for some reasons that he outlined, but were beyond my understanding. It had to do mainly with the way the glass sits in the frame of the sash, and the way the sash fits with the outside frame. The sash seems to fit tight; he'll be filling the frame itself with insulation foam, so the hollow spaces within the frame will be filled somewhat (extra $5 per window), and he'll be sealing around the frame of course and filling the weight pockets (it's an old house). So, he seems to know what he's doing. I'm not worried about the contractor; I just want to know why the window itself - the Harmony specifically - is so much cheaper than, say, the Windblocker, which is Slocomb's top-of-the-line model.

We're putting in 26 double-hung windows for just over $10,000, which seems cheap.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#8 Post by masterext »

ok.. looking at the website, it seems the harmony is their budget oriented line whereas the windblocker is their better line. i am guessing the harmony is'nt as solid.
the fact that your contractor isnt a window guy but likes this particular window leads me to think he likes the price. the windblocker is more expensive for a reason. i would suggest stepping up to the windblocker orn whatever its called.

TheWindowNerd

#9 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Must be junk.
They do not allow you to look at the structural test results.
The harmony bsae is clear IG with out low e and argon. No sash reinforcement either.
Most of the time you get what you pay for.
My friends grand father used to say " we are to poor to do it twice", in other words do it once right it is cheaper.

zephyrjs

#10 Post by zephyrjs »

anthony wrote:Must be junk.
They do not allow you to look at the structural test results.
The harmony bsae is clear IG with out low e and argon. No sash reinforcement either.
Most of the time you get what you pay for.
My friends grand father used to say " we are to poor to do it twice", in other words do it once right it is cheaper.
They do have optional low e and argon, and we are getting those options - included in said price. .27 u factor which is about the same as all of the other windows we've looked at.

As for "reinforced sash" - you are correct, there is no metal reinforcement. What will the net result be if I don't get reinforcement in the sash? Bad insulation due to warping? I would imagine that as long as the seal is good, this shouldn't be an issue. Do a lot of people insist on metal-reinforced sashes? If so, what do they get out of it that I would be missing out on by going with these windows? Just curious to know - why will I regret going with this window.

Interesting discussion about that here:
http://www.replacement-windows.com/wind ... f=1&t=4982

Based on this, it sounds like unless I live in an area with frequent hurricanes or other severe weather disturbances, the reinforcement is not an important feature.

Otherwise, I'm seeing that this is a good, budget window for a good price. I'm 90% sure this is what we're going with. We could spend another $150 per window for another 5% improvement in the u factor (based on what a salesman from Slocomb told me - but the literature contradicts him on that) and I think aluminum reinforced sashes, etc., but I don't think we would ever recoup on that; my guess is that .27 will give us pretty much as good insulation as we can expect, and anything below that is going to be pointless. Sound bleed hasn't been an issue, even with the crappy single-pane windows we have now, and we don't have earthquakes; the house is very old, so it's settled about as much as it is likely to. I'm not particularly concerned about them warping since these are replacement windows, and there's going to be some sort of seal around them anyway that should absorb any changes in shape over time. They won't have ever been perfectly square in the first place.

It sounds like I'm making my own case here, but I'm just curious - what am I missing here?

HomeSealed

#11 Post by HomeSealed »

Find out the Air infiltration and design pressure ratings as well as the SHGC.... .27 is a nice u-value, but may not be appropriate for a northeast climate if it takes the SGHC lower than .25. If it is above that, you are in good shape.
The structural ratings will be very telling as to the overall design and build quality of the unit. Anthony mentioned it rather bluntly above, but if a company is not forthcoming with those ratings, there is probably a reason and it is not a good sign.

KailiNC

#12 Post by KailiNC »

Hi Zephyr,
Did you go with the Slocomb and if so have you been satisfied?
Thanks

masterext

#13 Post by masterext »

I dont like how the stuff fiberglass into their window extrusions. Seems kind of cheap.
Most reputable companies use polyurethane or moulded foam, not fiberglass.

Windows on Washington

#14 Post by Windows on Washington »

masterext wrote:polyurethane or moulded foam, not fiberglass.
Well...somebody is talking all British now I see.

You better do that with an accent buddy.

:D :D :D

zephyrjs

#15 Post by zephyrjs »

KailiNC wrote:Hi Zephyr,
Did you go with the Slocomb and if so have you been satisfied?
Thanks
I went with the Slocomb. They seem fine. I got the reinforced sashes so they won't bend in the wind. I had a bit of a problem with the fit in a couple of them, but I think it's a matter of adjusting the frames. The only problem I have with them really is they don't allow much sun in, which means no free heat in the winter. But it's really hard to find a window that allows a lot of sun in, and also provides a lot of insulation. Overall, for the price/performance, I'm very happy with what I've got.