Window Recs for Northern California Bay Area?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
slada

Window Recs for Northern California Bay Area?

#1 Post by slada »

Great site and great information. Hoping someone could help point me in the right direction.

We are doing an extensive remodel with some new construction on an old Spanish bungalow styled home near Stanford University and train line. Summer temps at high 80s with rare 90s+, winter with lows 40s to rare upper 30s. (Rare use for AC in summer, though some heat use in winter)

Need to replace old wood single pane windows and provide new windows for new construction.

Looking for vinyl windows with the following characteristics:

- reasonable cost and maintenance
- better than usual sound insulation given train proximity
- colored exterior (darker brown spectrum)
- 'colonial' styled with grids
- screens

Don't really need an installer, our contractor is planning on installation once we identify product.

Thanks in advance- sl

Windows on Washington

Re: Window Recs for Northern California Bay Area?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

I can't be of much help on the West Coast offerings.

Anlin seems to be well regarded.

In the dark brown color range, you are going to be looking at either a painted or a foil laminate. As a general rule, I prefer the foil from a durability standpoint but the paints are pretty good these days.

Depending on the severity of the noise, you may want to think about laminated glass in the bedroom windows. This will bump up the performance of the sound control considerably in those windows as compared to the double pane replacements and will be light years better than your single pane units.

If you want to maintain some of the wood look, you might want to consider a fiberglass/wood hybrid. There are several manufacturers of that type of window and fiberglass is usually not that much more expensive when you figure in the premium for the painted exterior on the vinyl.

slada

#3 Post by slada »

Does the laminated window affect visibility at all? Does the glass look different?

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Negative.

Look through you car windshield. That is laminated glass.

No difference except in its ability to lighten your wallet. :lol:

I crack myself up sometimes.