Need Window Purchase Advice

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
NormS

Need Window Purchase Advice

#1 Post by NormS »

Hi Folks,

Discovered this forum quite by chance last week and it's been a terrific learning experience.

I recently purchased a townhome in San Jose, CA with 3 aluminium windows and 2 patio doors which I want to replace with vinyl windows.

Windows
46" x 42"
70" x 34"
70" x 34"

Both Patio Doors
71" x 80"

In the last several weeks I received the following quotes:

1. Allbrand windows quoted Polybau for between $4k to $6k. Later in the week, manager calls to say they have special manufacturer's rebate so they can let me have the windows for $4k. Same story the following week with "extension" of the offer due to President's day weekend. Very fishy so I think I'll stay away from them.

2. Home Depot quoted Viplex windows with double lifetime warranty for hair raising $8,102 :shock: but was willing to give me a 5% discount if I placed an order that day so he wouldn't have to come down a later day. Talk about high pressure tactics which is surprising for Home Depot. I refused of course.

3. Last was American Vision Windows quoting Anlin windows for $5000 (doors are about $1600 and windows around $500). Supposedly after discounts of "free" installation of worth $1310 (because I mentioned their ad on radio) and reference credit of $250 because I'm the first in my complex for them to install windows. Also claims that because they have super Low E glass, argon gas is not needed but they will include them anyway to make their customers feel better. The salesman seems decent though.

Based on the messages on this board, Simonton and Schuco seem to be good bets but Schuco windows aren't available on the West Coast so that rules them out. That leaves Simonton vs. Anlin.

My questions are:

1. I have a budget of up to $5k for the 3 windows and 2 patio doors. Is this reasonable to purchase a decent set of vinyl windows with installation?

2. Based on my budget, can I afford Simonton? How much would they cost?

3. Any recommendations for a good dealer/installer (Simonton or otherwise) here in the Bay Area?

4. What other brands of windows should I consider?

Apologies for the long post and thanks in advance for any replies.

BTW, I do agree with other posters here that buying replacement windows is similar to buying a used car only I think it's worse! At least there's a lot more info on used car prices, specs, etc. than windows. But sites and forums like these certainly help.

ANOTHER WINDOW GUY

#2 Post by ANOTHER WINDOW GUY »

Both Anlin & Polybau have products that are a step or two above simonton. In as far as the phony discounts............some may be real....or not. Remember the word SALE still has quite an impact on buying habits. The quality of the window dealer and their installers should be your first priorty and then you hagle. It's the american way.........HD well always be high so your following the right course. Shop until your satisfied with both price and quality.

NormS

Simonton vs. Anlin vs Polybau

#3 Post by NormS »

AWG

Thanks for your input. Based on the posts in this forum, I had the impression that Simonton was better than Anlin or Polybau?

montanagrl

Purchase questions

#4 Post by montanagrl »

I am also in the San Jose area and am just beginning to look at windows. I'm in need of 1 patio slider, 3 awning and 2 dual slider windows. What should I be looking for when it comes to dual pane windows?
Thanks to anyone with info for me.....

mikey105

#5 Post by mikey105 »

My experience was Home Depot quoted me $6500 for (low end Simonton windows) then when I asked them to change the grid pattern and upgrade me to SuperSpacers instead of the standard Intercept spacer, they needed to write a new contract for +$$ so the job would be around $7500 + .

I contacted the local Simonton dealer, they quoted $4600 for the same windows, including Superspacer AND the self cleaning glass !! They are a 34 year old Simonton dealer and did an excellent installation which included extensive wood trim on the exterior of the house, plus mahogany trim inside where needed to match my existing materials.

PS: Simonton has lifetime transferable warranty PLUS (non transferable) accidental glass breakage replacement for free. Check with the other suppliers to see what warranties they give.