Help me in Ohio, please!

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
HelpMeInOhio

Help me in Ohio, please!

#1 Post by HelpMeInOhio »

HELP! We just got an in home quote today for 15 new windows- vinyl double hung, (going from 17 down to 15, putting in a 25/50/25 slider instead of 3 separate windows) from Larmco (Cleveland, OH)
The estimate also included two doors and two storm doors, which i realize increases the cost and doesn't particularly relate to the window portion.... but the estimate/contract came up to $21,000..... (roughly $9,000 of that being doors) Is this a reasonable price for the Larmco quality for windows? I have been lurking on forums and reading, trying to research to the best of my virgin window replacing abilities, help from the pros would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thank you in advance for your insights!
Helpless in Ohio!

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Help me in Ohio, please!

#2 Post by masterext »

I think Larmco uses soft lite Elements which is a fantastic window.

HelpMeInOhio

#3 Post by HelpMeInOhio »

Thank you, any bit of information is helpful, do you think they are worth their cost? we were looking to go "mid range" on windows, not bottom of the barrel, but not top end either... We live in Ohio, so weather is...well... it changes every 5 min, from 80 to freezing rain in one day kind of crazy. I know also that they use ProVia doors (which are made in Sugarcreek, Ohio, about 30 min from my home) Pricey doors, but from reading reviews of other professionals, worth it. Thoughts?

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Just using the math you have given us here (i.e. $12,000 for the 15 windows, one of them being a large 3-Lite slider that will probably require a full tear out and new trim), I would say that the numbers you got on the window portion are quite reasonable.

If they are quoting the Elements window, that is well below what they go out for in this market and as mentioned previously, one of what I consider to be the 3 best vinyl windows out there.

HelpMeInOhio

#5 Post by HelpMeInOhio »

Thank you for your help, i REALLY appreciate it, i know these windows will make a huge difference for us, i just get nervous spending that kind of money on anything... =o)

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

No problem.

You are probably wise to be a bit nervous. Most people make terrible window decisions and hence the reasons that very high pressure and poor product companies exist.

You did A-Ok in your application.

What's the old saying....its better to be lucky than good...? :lol:

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

Good advice above, the Elements is a top performer. I'm not intimately familiar with Larmco, but I've heard generally positive feedback.

HelpMeInOhio

#8 Post by HelpMeInOhio »

Did more research on the the doors, theres a local company that can use the same doors as we were quoted, with labor and be half the cost. this is what i was leery of. The window portion seems to be spot on, and we have decided to go ahead on them. I know in the long run we will be happy with them. The doors, another story. I knew my gut was telling me something wasn't quite right there.... Maybe that cost would be accurate in California, but I live in Ohio...VERY rural Ohio...lol

Thanks again for all of your help and advice everyone!

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

I would just make sure that you are comparing apples to apples. The fact that the window quote is fairly priced makes me think that their door pricing would be as well. I can't comment on specifics without much more info about the exact products, install details, etc, but HALF price throws up a red flag IMO.... Again, all speculation on my part, but I'd definitely dig deeper on that. The last thing that you want is a great door poorly installed, and then the company that put it in is nowhere to be found next year when it needs service.

HelpMeInOhio

#10 Post by HelpMeInOhio »

You are right to warn on that, i agree. it wasn't quite half, but about 3k less in the long run. The products are the exact same, i think ( i cant be 100% sure obviously) but the doors are made locally, and the company i called for the install is local (ive seen their work, they do very well) im betting the door company gave them a discount that they were able to pass along to the customer....that they maybe dont for others. again pure speculation obviously. but that 3k can go towards siding in spring (which we also need lol)

TheWindowNerd

#11 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Depending on the specs: two single doors with two storm doors in the $6000 sounds about right.
I find that it takes more time than expected for most door installs to be done right. I run very strong numbers for door installs because of all that needs to be done for a good door install. A single door with flanking side lights and a transom can take all day for a two man team. If they were installing windows they could do 8 windows and make more money.