Okna triple pane - how much light loss?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
allnuwinz

Okna triple pane - how much light loss?

#1 Post by allnuwinz »

Hello, I am new here.

I am having all 17 windows replaced in my townhouse with Okna Enviro-Star windows. Currently, on the quote i have the Deluxe option with foam filled extrusions (double pane). However, I am thinking about upgrading to the triple pane option. One area that I have no point of reference is how much more light this will cut. Currently I have builder grade 15 years old vinyl windows with no special coating. I love to see nice blue skies up there and I am not sure how much this will change.

I gather some prefer to have dual pane windows so there is still some solar heat gain, especially with southern exposure. In my case I am in the middle and only have east-west exposure. My location is south-eastern PA, not far away from Philadelphia.

I am also getting the Okna Elegante patio door. I assume these are available as double pane only? Is the reinforcement in the middle made of aluminium? Another company when they were here to quote, the sales person was very strong on his opinion that any vinyl patio door is weak and a bad idea. He wanted to sell Andersen series 200 sliding patio doors.

Another aspect is the installation. I chose to have the existing windows completely removed, including existing nailing fins. To do the installation they will remove the siding where necessary. I think this will provide for a better installation, repair of any issues and somewhat larger glass area in the windows. Is this a good decision? Versus having inserts installed?

Looking forward to some comments. Thanks in advance. I need to make this decision very soon.

Windows on Washington

Re: Okna triple pane - how much light loss?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

The triple pane will usually net about a 0.10 reduction in VT to the comparable optioned out window in double pane.

We are promoting triple pane these days for its superior thermal properties and if you look at the impact in total wall R-Value, it absolutely has a tangible impact.

They do make the 8800 series in triple pane by the way.

Good luck and post back with any additional questions.

allnuwinz

#3 Post by allnuwinz »

Thank you for your prompt feedback.

Is .10 about 10% reduction or it doesn't translate like this? What would be this value when going from regular glass to these new windows? Curious to get a feeling how different the inside of the house will feel.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

VT on clear glass, double pane, is about 82-83%

The Low-e that Okna uses had a VT of about 71%

Going to triple pane will drop that number another 10 points or so.

The VT numbers that are quoted via NFRC are total unit number and from edge of frame to edge of frame.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#5 Post by Window4U (IL) »

My experience is that the triple from Okna will not tint the windows much at all. Blue sky will still be blue, green grass will still be green, and it won't look like it's getting ready to rain outside when looking out the windows on a normal day like much of the older generation triple panes did. If it's in your budget then by all means consider getting the triple.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

Window4U (IL) wrote:My experience is that the triple from Okna will not tint the windows much at all. Blue sky will still be blue, green grass will still be green, and it won't look like it's getting ready to rain outside when looking out the windows on a normal day like much of the older generation triple panes did. If it's in your budget then by all means consider getting the triple.
+1... If you are looking for exact numbers WoW has that listed above. As far as how that translates to a real world difference, I can say that I have yet to have a single client that opted for triple pane complain that their home is darker. Non-issue with that product.

randy

#7 Post by randy »

This is how I understand the VT rating.

If you have a hole in the wall the size of the window you're replacing, whatever light would come through that hole is set at 100%. Take a double glazed window with Low-E and a VT rating of .82 and you're going to get roughly 82% of the light that you were getting with the hole, so you sacrificed about 18% of the light. So on the triple glazed, if it has a VT that is .10 lower, you're giving up about 10% more light.

So, as I was taught years ago, the VT is really a relative rating that is based on the reduction of light rather than actually measuring the amount of light that passes through.

allnuwinz

#8 Post by allnuwinz »

... what about the weight when it comes to operation? I realize that they are balanced, but do they feel different than double pane?

TheWindowNerd

#9 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Yep, when you load them on and off the truck.
Some when they are tilted, but the balances take care of the rest when in normal operation.
No problems.

TommyJ

#10 Post by TommyJ »

TheWindowNerd wrote:Yep, when you load them on and off the truck.
Hilarious.

Can't wait till some company makes triple pane with lami glass.....ouch!

Delaware Mike

#11 Post by Delaware Mike »

Triple-glazed with laminate! Ughhhh. I'd have to train for that job. Reminds me of the Infamous leg workout of 94 that started with 10 sets of rockbottom deep squats with a pause at the bottom. 225lbs front squats x 10 sets of 10 reps. Only vomited twice. That was the warm up prior to presses and lunges………..

I think that the trade off regarding triple verses the light loss is worth going with the triple myself. The 800dx triple is what I'm putting in my house next year and I have access to any and everything out there.

fridge2020

#12 Post by fridge2020 »

Another vote for triple. Not a noticeable difference in my experience.

allnuwinz

#13 Post by allnuwinz »

Thanks for all the great feedback.

I think I will be making the decision tomorrow morning. Have to move forward ...

I spoke to another contractor today (windows are also his business, but we met to talk about entrance doors) and in his opinion the energy savings from improved attic insulation will exceed the benefit of triple pane windows. He made this comment not knowing that coincidentally, I had an energy audit last winter with a heat/cold sensing device and that audit recommended attic insulation over windows replacement. The insulation is very uneven up there.

HomeSealed

#14 Post by HomeSealed »

nuwinz, the other contractor is absolutely correct--- IF--- the attic is to be properly treated. That means not just adding insulation, but proper air sealing. Having that done will be the biggest bang for the buck improvement by far. I wouldn't disqualify triple pane as it does not have to be an either/or proposition, but iin terms of priorites where straight energy savings is concerned, the attic is at the top, no pun intended.

What did your energy audit consist of? The "hot/cold" sensing device sounds like maybe a thermal cam? A true energy audit would be performed by a certified professional (BPI or other) and include a blower door test.

allnuwinz

#15 Post by allnuwinz »

HomeSealed, yes, the energy audit included a thermal camera and a blower door test.

i was planning to make a decision yesterday, but it will be Monday AM instead. Went yesterday to the showroom to look at the Okna display windows. Not a huge difference between the double and triple pane. The additional cost for 17 windows and Okna patio door will be just over $1800. Right now I am thinking that I might go with the double pane and spend the money on attic insulation, but I go back and forth ... :)