Patio Door Reviews ?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
427HISS

Patio Door Reviews ?

#1 Post by 427HISS »

I'm replacing our patio sliding door after 28 years. I'm researching patio door reviews and it's all confusing. One company will have the same looking door with 10 different models. I haven't seen any reviews of say,....the top ten. I'm a member of Consumer Reports, but for what reasom, they don't test & review, patio doors ?

We want a 5' wide with internal grids, maybe blindes Must have a screen. (Our windows have grids)
We like the french doors to open fully on nice days, with a screen. The second choice is a slider.

We don't want to spend over $1,700 and I'll do the install.

Is there a site that has reviews ?
Any type of review or list of the best here in the forum ?

I will have to pass on the top doller doors, by going down the list. Lol....
Regards,
Kevin

HomeSealed

Re: Patio Door Reviews ?

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

For hinged (french doors), you can simply search out entry door reviews. Provia, Albany, Homeguard, and HMI are a few brands that are highly regarded in fiberglass.

For sliders, you can pretty much lump those in with windows. Sunrise and Okna are my two favorite vinyl sliders. In wood, Marvin and Kolbe make nice units. I actually think that the Pella door is not half bad, although many folks don't like the interior mounted screen.

427HISS

#3 Post by 427HISS »

I looked up the websites but did not see any patio doors ?

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Keep in mind that while 5' doors with internal blinds will have a small opening width.

You won't find too many doors with internal blinds and grids as an option unless you look at something like a Pella designer series.

427HISS

#5 Post by 427HISS »

Lowes has their Reliabilt that has both grids and blinds, but a 5' would be a special order, so it goes up to $1,000. They have 6' in stock, but not 5'.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Haven put a Reliabilt door in a buddy of mine's home as a favor to close up an opening, you would be better suited to set fire to the money.

The door in this case was a complete pile of garbage and is due to come out already after about 3 years.

Save your money.

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

The vinyl sliders are featured on the websites of those companies. Regarding the hinged doors, they may not have a section specific to "patio doors", or "french doors". Again, feature wise, you are really just looking at an entry door, just doubled with an astragal kit. I believe that Provia and Albany may allow you to build what you want on their site

427HISS

#8 Post by 427HISS »

The Reliabilt is out. Thank you.

What I don't like, is the doors above websites want to come to my house, and when I say I just want a carry out price, they're not happy. And most are over $2,500, out of our price range.

Has anyone seen a top 10 to 20 doors list ?

Isn't there any good quality doors under $1,500 ?

Are there any good brands at Lowes, Home Depot or Menards ?

With my bad health and medical bills, that's all we can afford. I have duct tape holding the glass into the wood frame of our old slider. I don't want to replace it right now, the weather is just too hot, and it will take me a few days to take out the old one and complete the new install. So, I must wait until early fall.

427HISS

#9 Post by 427HISS »

How about this Pella ?
Update- too wide. See if they have a 60" ?

http://www.lowes.com/pd/ThermaStar-by-P ... RRWidgetID

427HISS

#10 Post by 427HISS »

Bump,.......

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#11 Post by masterext »

The pella therma star is garbage as far as im concerned. Its a flimsy window and looks very cheap. I wouldnt waste my money.

HomeSealed

#12 Post by HomeSealed »

Kevin, maybe I missed it, but where are you located? We (pros) might be able to play matchmaker in some way. If you are looking for a product only, vinyl slider, you should be able to get your hands on something decent for the price point that you mentioned.

I'd agree with masterext, the Thermastar is not highly regarded. As far as something available at a box store, the Plygem Premium door should be available from Lowes. Not a top performer, but solid, and a smooth operator. Much better than the Thermostar.
You can probably source a Softlite Kingsroyal from a building supply house as well.

427HISS

#13 Post by 427HISS »

We live near Lincoln and Omaha Nebraska.

Smorko

#14 Post by Smorko »

I'm looking for a new patio door now, what's the best place to get one? (sorry for bumping this) I found a place where they are selling everything that you might need for your doors. Their website looks legit, but I wanted to ask for another opinion on this. They even have big sales, almost 50% on everything, this might not be good still. People like me, who do not know a lot about doors can be deceived by a website like this one, has anyone had any experience with them?

Last edited by Smorko on Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HomeSealed

#15 Post by HomeSealed »

You'll yield the best feedback by starting a new thread.

With that said, the best place to get a new patio door imo is from a reputable, established local window/door dealer. Preferably an "installed" package featuring a product that is widely recognized for top quality and performance. A few options were mentioned earlier in the this thread.