My window install has begun

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
gti16vman

My window install has begun

#1 Post by gti16vman »

So it has been a couple months, but my windows are finally here and today was the start of the install. Sunrise Vanguard x 28 windows (replacing 38 with new configurations). The 36x72's that have gone up on the front have .24 UF and .19 SHGC, pretty happy about those numbers. A little better SHGC than I was anticipating, probably due to grids, but I haven't seen any of the non grid ones yet.

So far, very happy with our decision as the ones that are up look great. The one thing I initially was worried about was every window has AI of <= 0.3 on the label. I looked up the NFRC labels on the site and noticed that it appears that is the standard for Sunrise windows. I am guessing that is just the standard they put on there to get energy star rating, but the literature shows it to be much better than that.

Windows on Washington

Re: My window install has begun

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Energy star only posts it as a sub 0.30 number.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

WoW is correct. Energy Star / NFRC do not do the structural testing. That is done by an ANSI certified lab like AAMA or Keystone. NFRC only publishes that it meets the bare minimum standard, which is .30 or less. You would need to ask your rep for a structural data test report if you wanted documentation of the actual AI ratings. I believe that the Sunrise double hung is .04.

Delaware Mike

#4 Post by Delaware Mike »

.04 is correct for Sunrise Vanguard double hung units in regards to the air leakage. Triple-weatherstripping on the sashes and tight engineering design and manufacturing tolerances with that window. I was told that Marvin, Pella, and Andersen had their panties in a bunch and put some of their influence to the NFRC air leakage label ratings? Don't know if that's true or not?

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Delaware Mike wrote:I was told that Marvin, Pella, and Andersen had their panties in a bunch and put some of their influence to the NFRC air leakage label ratings? Don't know if that's true or not?
Who said that....

Delaware Mike

#6 Post by Delaware Mike »

One of my sales reps naturally.

gti16vman

#7 Post by gti16vman »

Thanks all for the responses, I figured it must be something like that. We actually went with SH to save some money since our house is 1 story and getting to all the windows is pretty easy. Here is the first big window on the front done. Had colonial grids before, changed it up to perimeter. Pretty happy with the look so far. They are working on the big back windows today, which should make a big visual difference as we are going from 2 openings of 4 36x72 SH to 2 72x72 sliders.
Attachments
IMG_20161102_122302954.jpg
(189.57 KiB) Downloaded 212 times

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

Looking Good!!

Delaware Mike

#9 Post by Delaware Mike »

Very nice.

gti16vman

#10 Post by gti16vman »

Alright, a little delayed with my final update, but the windows are in (well, except the two that they messed the grids up on and have to come back and redo later).

A couple before and after pictures of the front and back. In the front, we wanted to keep configuration the same, but changed up the grids from colonial to perimeter. They didn't put a grid at all in the one over the front door, which we actually kind of like, but I think it will look more consistent with it in there, so that one will be changed out. Then they goofed up on the grid in the top sash of the right most window on the front, which they will fix as well. Everything else went pretty smooth, just a lot of work for 2 guys. Took them 3 full days, they didn't finish until almost 8pm on Friday.

On the back, being that we have plantation shutters on all the windows that cut out some light, I wanted as much glass as possible and still have functionality. We replaced the 2 groups of 3 36x72 SH to single 108x72 3 lite sliders. Then where there were 4 36x72 SH, we changed them to 2 72x72 sliders mulled together. The single 36x72 in the corner went to a picture window and not in this picture is the bay window in the master, which we did 2 picture windows with a 72x72 slider in the middle. Overall, really happy with how this turned out. It is a lot brighter in the house, probably partially just due to the really clean new glass.

I did immediately notice the difference in efficiency, as my daughters' room, which is one of the 3 lite sliders that faces West, stayed the same temp as the rest of the house with the sun out. It has never done that and is one of the big reasons that we did the windows. So overall, we are very happy with the outcome. Thanks again for all of the help/guidance.

Finally, one more question, in regards to doors. With all of these new windows, it makes the glass in the two doors on the back side look bad. How hard is it to replace the glass in the door? The installer wasn't sure, but thought it would be possible. I have to assume it would be a lot cheaper than replacing the whole door and we could probably do it fairly soon.
Attachments
Front_Before.JPG
Front View Before
(87.6 KiB) Downloaded 207 times
Back_Before.jpg
Back View Before
(227.47 KiB) Downloaded 182 times

gti16vman

#11 Post by gti16vman »

After pics
Attachments
Front_After.jpg
Front View After
(250.02 KiB) Downloaded 209 times
Back_After.jpg
Back View After
(235.74 KiB) Downloaded 193 times

Windows on Washington

#12 Post by Windows on Washington »

Looks great. I like the grid pattern.

What kind of steel roof is that?

gti16vman

#13 Post by gti16vman »

The brand is Decra. The previous owners put it on ~12 years ago and it has a 50 year life. It has the highest UL rating, which provides a nice insurance discount (35% or so). The largest claim type here in TX is hail, so these being impervious to hail makes it great in that respect and what causes the big discount.

Windows on Washington

#14 Post by Windows on Washington »

Decra is great stuff. We install that as well.

Not as big a benefit here, but you can't beat the look.