Window World (Alside) vs Zen Windows (Soft-lite)

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
toddinmn

Re: Window World (Alside) vs Zen Windows (Soft-lite)

#16 Post by toddinmn »

The BBB recommends getting a written estimate, don't see anything against getting rough estimate sight unseen.
A lot of people appreciate being able to get a rough idea on what a job may cost and don't won't to go through presentation that last 2-3 hours, requires spouse to be there , then go through the discount game. Most people do understand prices can change , especially when changing products.
Swackerl took his time and a good approach, sound like he got a good window and installer at a good price.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#17 Post by masterext »

I think giving any kind of an estimate without actually seeing the job and scope of the work in person is absolutely ridiculous. The BBB adamantly opposes that practice and any honest contractor would insist upon seeing the job in person.
Would a doctor give a "ball park" diagnosis without seeing a patient? I think not.
Window install pricing is much too variable to give signt unseen. I would never do that and hopeully most of the guys in this board wouldnt either.
The only time a homeowner would request this would be one that only cares about price and certainly not quality.
What are you supposed to say? The job will cost somewhere between 15 and 25 thousand????

toddinmn

#18 Post by toddinmn »

In my opinion an experienced contractor can get pretty close. This would involve asking some questions of course and explaining what add ons are and there typical cost. Again I see your comparison on the ridiculous side, it's hard to figure what the cost of a doctors visit is even after your done. In some cases giving a range of 15,000-25,000 would make sense. Have not seen anywhere the BBB says getting a rough estimate sight unseen is bad, it should be followed up with a sight visit and written estimate.

TheWindowNerd

#19 Post by TheWindowNerd »

In general I agree with toddinmn.