Feedback on sliding doors quote

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
scouselady

Feedback on sliding doors quote

#1 Post by scouselady »

Hello

I hope you can help!

We are Texas newbies and in the process of replacing our sliding doors. We have no experience with windows replacement costs!

We have 2 sliding doors size 8' x 80" and we were recommended the Simonton Inovo brand. A reputable company (recommended by friends and had good Yelp reviews) gave us a quote of $6500 which included labor, demo, install and adding new trim. Does this sound reasonable to you? For me, it seemed quite expensive, especially as I think I can see these doors in Home Depot for $900 so I don't know where the expense is coming from. The bid was not itemised, so maybe I should get them to be more detailed?

Anyway, would love to know whether we are being shafted or it is actually reasonable.

thanks in advance!

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Feedback on sliding doors quote

#2 Post by masterext »

2 8 ft patio doors installed for 6500 isnt out of the norm.

randy

#3 Post by randy »

It’s always hard to comment on pricing without knowing all the details, but the price seems a bit high to me considering that it’s a Simonton product. While Simonton is a solid mid-grade option, the pricing seems more appropriate for a premium grade brand. Of course door options, installation details, and contractor overhead can create a wide variance in what is considered reasonable pricing.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Seems within the normal range and perhaps on the higher end of it. They are 8' doors though and those are definitely more expensive vs standard heights. Once they get "custom", they will jump up 30% in cost really quickly.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

I'd agree with the others that this is not out of the normal range, although maybe slightly high for that particular unit. That said, if the installation is trickier than normal, it could be right on point. The one thing that I can say with some degree of certainty is that it's not a "rip off" price. There are companies charging nearly that price for 1) standard 6' door to put that into perspective. If this is an established, reputable company and you like everything else about the deal, you could certainly do worse.

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Just my opinion...
If they were high performance product like Okna, Sunrise, or Sft-lite the price would be acceptable.

scouselady

#7 Post by scouselady »

Thank you everyone for your responses! This is most helpful indeed and has put my mind at ease. The reason why we are going with Simonton is because the rest of the house has Simonton windows so we wanted the patio doors to match.

This is the door we are planning to get (2 by 8'x80")

https://www.simonton.com/inovo-patio-door/

Any thoughts before we seal the deal?

Delaware Mike

#8 Post by Delaware Mike »

That newly launched flagship vinyl patio slider from Simonton is expensive to purchase. I had one priced out last year just out of sheer curiosity.

Windowrican

#9 Post by Windowrican »

Pretty normal price from what I see.