Feedback on quote in Texas

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
meadows3

Feedback on quote in Texas

#1 Post by meadows3 »

Received a quote on Sunrise Restoration windows last night. I am more than a little blown away about the price. We have 29 windows being replaced and the quote we received was over $50,000! But with “discounts” (including a 20% discount if we signed the contract last night ONLY) brought the quote in at $39,000. He told us that high-end windows cost about $2,000 - $3,000 per window and that his price was right in the mid-range at $1,300 a window. AND that $1,300 is the discounted price! This was way higher than any pricing estimates I found online! So what is the average cost of a “high end” and “mid-range” window?

Windows on Washington

Re: Feedback on quote in Texas

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Not a huge fan of sales models that employ a huge +20% drop inside the home.

Good windows are not cheap at the end of the day, but a starting point of 50K for 29 windows DE-legitimizes this quote in my opinion.

randy

#3 Post by randy »

There’s no way to give you a per window price for mid-grade and premium because there are too many variables (color, grids, shape, etc....). Best bet is get another quote or two to establish a fair price.

gti16vman

#4 Post by gti16vman »

Curious where in TX you are located? If in DFW (like I am), there are multiple Sunrise dealers and I assume you probably had Statewide come out seeing those prices. If you are in Houston, you should give Randy above a call for a quote.

After doing all my research on here, and going through about 6 bids, we ended up with a Sunrise dealer with Vanguard windows with low e (.24 UF, .21 SHGC average) at around $750-775/window. That price includes 4 geometric 6ft half circles and 4 72 x 72 sliders and 2 108x72 sliders, so some very big windows (the geometrics as I understand it are very expensive from Sunrise). My price per would have been a decent amount less without those. My next choice was going to be NT Presidential, which were about $100/window less.

meadows3

#5 Post by meadows3 »

Right on the money, it was Statewide Remodeling – not the best introduction to window replacement! But thankfully that led me here and I’m starting to feel a bit more informed about windows, never realized there were so many options. I really appreciate everyone taking the time to respond and all the other info I found on the site – invaluable resource.

I will keep looking for other Sunrise dealers, thankfully several in the area offer Vanguard in DFW. Who are you using? Hoping there isn't a big difference between the Vanguard and
Restoration lines.

Angie’s list had highly rated dealers for NT Presidential and Simonton Windows so I will be adding those to the list.

randy

#6 Post by randy »

The Vanguard and the Restorations are practically identical on performance, with one of the biggest differences being in the locks & tilt latches. Both are great choices.

Both the NT Presidential and Simonton are a step down from Sunrise, and of those two, NT would be the better choice IMO. NT makes two other lines that are basically equivalent to the Presidential; Energy Master and Traditions.

If you can get Sunrise at a price that is fair and reasonable, it’s the better choice. But if the Sunrise dealers all prove to be too pricey, NT would be a reasonable second choice.

gti16vman

#7 Post by gti16vman »

We went with Southern Pride Openings. I have another thread on this main page that you can see some before and after pictures. Ours were done a few months back and my dad and stepmom liked them so much, they are getting theirs replaced by Southern Pride this next week. Tom, the owner of the company, was the guy who came out and listened to my ideas and gave me some options to think about. Very low pressure.

For NT, we had The Window Authority come out. I really liked them as well, but at the end of the day for us, it came down to Sunrise being a better performing window for not that much more money. It just made sense since we plan on being here for quite awhile.

Honestly, even though it hasn't been that warm, our electric bills for Nov and Dec were the lowest that we had ever in any month in this house, so I know they have helped make a difference.

meadows3

#8 Post by meadows3 »

Working through the second round of window bids. Current front runner is the Sunrise Vanguard. We are looking at single hung, omega-12 glass, interior Low-E coatings, and no grids.

I tried looking up the windows in the NFRC directory, but its all Greek to me. Looking at the ratings mainly for the VT rating. A big factor about what we love in our house is the light, which also makes it hot as hell with our current 90’s aluminum widows. The Vanguard brochure says it has 27% more viewing area but the VT rating isn’t listed.

Also, does the interior low-e coating effect the VT? And do we really need this in Texas? Currently its included in the base price through a promotion, but if we don’t need it and it negatively effects the VT rating I don’t think we want it.

Again, thank you all for your help! It has really made making such a big decision infinitely easier!

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

Low-e type and coating will affect the realized VT.

The Sunrise does have a nice thin profile and give you a bunch of visible glass. It, along with the Okna 500 and the Soft-Lite Bainbridge, are two of the narrower profiles on the market.

Nothing will quote match the profile of aluminum and I would highly recommend that you order the Sunrise with the reinforcement in it.

Ask you vendor for the CPD# or send the link through here and we will tell you what the VT numbers are.

In Texas, you will need to focus on a very low SHGC window so it will be a 3 coat window and probably have a VT of somewhere around 55-60 on the glass vs the low 70's of a 2 coat window. You definitely have to control solar heat down there as a first goal when it comes to being in your climate and exposure.

Delaware Mike

#10 Post by Delaware Mike »

Omega 12 is the correct glass option for down there. Not sure the interior low-e addition coating would be of any benefit as that might be geared for helping the U-factor and winter heating?