Feedback on NE Ohio quote

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
zach

Re: Feedback on NE Ohio quote

#16 Post by zach »

I haven't given up on the Polaris window, I just wanted to explore other options now that I have a better understanding what to look for in window quality. I'm also hoping to get another quote within the realm of reasonable cost.

I realize the windows I'm looking at now are all fairly similar in U-factor, air infiltration and overall quality. My wife has some concerns about the chunky frame, potential glass loss and VT ratings.

HomeSealed

#17 Post by HomeSealed »

The VT on the Ultraweld is solid, but as mentioned earlier, the frame is slightly bulkier than some so that is a fair concern. Definitely not a bad idea to get a comparable quote for another good performer.

zach

#18 Post by zach »

Got the updated quote from the Polaris dealer. Seems pretty reasonable to me.

8000 Series UltraWeld
Supreme double-pane glass option
Foam filled frame and sash
reinforced meeting rails
Stainless Intercept spacer
Contour grids
Full screens

$675/window as replacement install
$865/window as full-frame install

HomeSealed

#19 Post by HomeSealed »

I agree. As long as you are dealing with a high quality installation company, this sounds solid.

Windows on Washington

#20 Post by Windows on Washington »

That is a reasonable delta between full tear out vs. insert.

Solid, well built window and a good company.

zach

#21 Post by zach »

It seems we only have 1 Okna dealer that services the Cleveland area. They only offer the 600 series. It was explained to me by Okna that it's kind of a mashup the 500 and 800.

Any thoughts on the 600 series?

HomeSealed

#22 Post by HomeSealed »

Its a new product, although as has been explained, it uses some parts from both the 500 and 800. They recently changed the lower sash lift rail to extruded vinyl like the 500 which I think is a good thing. Performance is excellent just like their other products. Ultimately, I think that the 800 and 500 are better at what they do, with the 800 being the flagship and the 500 being the bang for the buck option with fewer bells and whistles, but again, the 600 is still very good. I'll say this, if all else is equal, I'll choose the 600 over the UW 10 of 10 times.

zach

#23 Post by zach »

Thanks for the info on the Okna 600 series.

I just received a call from one of the original companies I got a quote from. They "discovered a rebate" that could save me even more. When I mentioned I had been shopping around, they insisted they could send a "manager" out tonight for a 20 minute meeting and get me down to an installed price of $650/window for the ThermaWeld. I thanked them for their time, and declined. Just too many games being played there...

zach

#24 Post by zach »

Looks like Soft-Lite is out unless I can find another dealer in the area.

The Timeless is a rebranded Elements, but only available in triple-pane. I understand there's some cost difference between double and triple pane, but they came in at $2100 per window for full tear-out. That seemed quite steep to me.

Windows on Washington

#25 Post by Windows on Washington »

Flush out those Okna 600 options. The Elements is a great window, just not $2,100 great.

zach

#26 Post by zach »

I have an appointment lined up with the Okna 600 dealer next week. Hoping it goes well.

HomeSealed

#27 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. Unless you have some extraordinary circumstances like your home being built off the side of a cliff, $2100 per unit seems a bit excessive.

zach

#28 Post by zach »

Their claim was that it's a "closed end bid" which means if they find moisture damage to the rough openings they'd fix that "at no cost" as well. Sure sounds to me like they're building every possible "what if" into the price though. And I confirmed they won't reduce the cost of none of those issues pop up.

I think I'd rather see what the window costs and if there are additional issues, address them on their own.

The Okna dealer around here is very well reviewed, and seems to be a multi-state installer (Window Universe), but their Cleveland footprint is pretty small right now. They can't come out until the 23rd, and I'm looking forward to that visit.

Soft-Lite is also supposed to get back to me with another installer that offers the Elements line.

HomeSealed

#29 Post by HomeSealed »

zach wrote:Their claim was that it's a "closed end bid" which means if they find moisture damage to the rough openings they'd fix that "at no cost" as well. Sure sounds to me like they're building every possible "what if" into the price though. And I confirmed they won't reduce the cost of none of those issues pop up.

I think I'd rather see what the window costs and if there are additional issues, address them on their own.

The Okna dealer around here is very well reviewed, and seems to be a multi-state installer (Window Universe), but their Cleveland footprint is pretty small right now. They can't come out until the 23rd, and I'm looking forward to that visit.

Soft-Lite is also supposed to get back to me with another installer that offers the Elements line.
I don't know the Cleveland guys specifically, but the guy that runs Window Universe is a pretty solid dude. I'd expect that you will be pretty happy with the price.

zach

#30 Post by zach »

Thanks.

Just out of curiosity, what would you consider the range of reasonable cost for an Elements triple pane? I realize there's a lot of contributing factors, but as far as I'm aware nothing about my setup is all that extraordinary. 2-story colonial, 22 windows, 11 up and 11 on main floor. There's one 3-lite (lower), one 2-lite (upper), all the rest are singles.

Although at this point I may just have to scratch on Soft-Lite. Somebody from S-L responded to my request for a dealer, recommended the $2100/window place, and replied with "Soft-Lite has had a contract with this company for 20 years, I've been on it for 4. No customer has ever complained about the quality of the work they do."