Feedback on NE Ohio quote

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
zach

Re: Feedback on NE Ohio quote

#46 Post by zach »

Signed the contract with Window Universe for the Okna 600 series last week and had the installer out to measure.

Was impressed that he popped the trim and several of the questionable windows to get an accurate measurement and put all the trim back up.

One thing that leaves me slightly apprehensive (too late to change my mind, but I'll keep pushing for more info if it's in my best interest) was the installer's description of the last few steps for the full-frame tear out. It's all pretty standard, but I don't want to be dependent on caulk alone to seal these windows, as they do not have a nailing flange.

Remove all interior trim
Cut existing window frame out of it's nailing flange
Remove sashes and collapse old frame
MAYBE cut back siding
Replace any moisture damaged lumber in rough opening
Put the new window in place
Level and square the unit
Foam seal the air gaps
Caulk between frame and J-channel
MAYBE coil-wrap depending on size of the gap

I called the office this evening and am waiting to hear back from the installer, but the person in the office seemed to think there was more "technical" stuff involved and the caulk was just a final measure of protection and to clean up the appearance.

Windows on Washington

#47 Post by Windows on Washington »

Seems pretty normal. Wrapping is pretty standard.

zach

#48 Post by zach »

Thanks. It's entirely possible I'm just overly concerned given the visible moisture damage on the old windows.

I can't imagine their service would be so well reviewed if they really were skimping somewhere.

Windows on Washington

#49 Post by Windows on Washington »

Probably a safe bet you are right. Nothing wrong with asking questions on the day of installation as long as you aren't in the way.

If you order lunch or have cold refreshments, the guys/gals will love working hard for you.

HomeSealed

#50 Post by HomeSealed »

As I believe was mentioned earlier in the thread, there are a few different methods of replacing a full frame, and that is one of them. There are ways to do so that are more comprehensive, but also significantly pricier. Overall, it sounds like you have have a reputable company, great window, and an installation procedure that is recognized and accepted in the industry, so nothing to fret about.

zach

#51 Post by zach »

Thanks to all of your for the information.

Sounds like we're about 4 weeks out, then we'll have brand new Okna 600s.

Windows on Washington

#52 Post by Windows on Washington »

Solid choice and congrats. Post up some before and after photos to help button up the thread.

zach

#53 Post by zach »

Installation is finally complete! The new windows look great and we can already feel a difference inside.

We're handling the trim ourselves as we wanted something more custom than the standard picture frame. Something similar to this https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73 ... 7615e3.jpg

TheWindowNerd

#54 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Not a fan of MDF for trim.
I would tend to build that head on my work table and put it up there all in one piece.
I like a solid back crwn like rams head.
And I have used sash bead for the bootom of that assembly.

theWindowNerd.

zach

#55 Post by zach »

I'm not a fan of MDF either. There's a lumber yard that was suggested to us by the installation crew that seems to have a huge selection of casing, crown and other trim work. Since we'll be painting it we don't need any of the premium wood types, but I'm certain everything they have will be better quality than at a big box store.

Thanks for the tip on assembling the header on the work table. That does sound quite a bit easier.

dmbarney

#56 Post by dmbarney »

Zach, not sure if you are still monitoring this forum, but I too am from NE Ohio. I am having Window Universe come out tomorrow and thinking about going with the 600 or 800 series from Okna. I know from this site and valuable feedback from Windows on Washington and others that this is a good window line. The unknown is the company that installs them. Angie's list as well as the BBB has nothing bad to say about Window Universe. Just wanted to see your thoughts of how well they did in the install process. Seems like you were very happy with them. Thanks!

Kennedy

#57 Post by Kennedy »

dmbarney,

Did you make a decision? I'm in Cleveland and am looking at the Okna 600 and the Polaris line.

TheWindowNerd

#58 Post by TheWindowNerd »

You would do better to start a new thread.
The Okna/Highmark is a great window.
We recommend the 800DX to all our customers. We go to market a little differently than most. the 500DX is $50 less than the 800 DX, I want all my customers to buy the 800.
The normal delta in my market is $150 between the 500 and 800.

theWindowNerd

Windowguy

#59 Post by Windowguy »

"The Okna/Highmark is a great window."

Agreed!