Simonton 5050 vs Vista Panorama vs Soft Lite Barrington

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Delaware Mike

Re: Simonton 5050 vs Vista Panorama vs Soft Lite Barrington

#16 Post by Delaware Mike »

I would really encourage you to look very closely at the other pros responses. Your house is way too nice to be devalued with a Simonton 5050 level window. Does your neighbor that also utilized this contractor also have stucco? HomeSealed's advice is rock solid.

The only window outfit doing windows around my area at that pricing was a local Window World franchise. They somehow made it for decade and just closed up shop. Corporate had to come in clean up there mess as a lot of folks didn't get their windows installed for like 6-8 months.

TheWindowNerd

#17 Post by TheWindowNerd »

The Simonton 5500 used to be along time ago my preffered offering.
They leak air terribly. If you want draft free windows you should use the 500 Okna.
Call and explain to the person who quoted you on the 500 your budget, ask how much they can help you out.

theWindowNerd.

rummonkey

#18 Post by rummonkey »

e90steve wrote:I'm a first time home buyer who just bought a house and this winter I'm freezing next to my single pane wood windows. I need to get this fixed so I'm shopping a variety of entry level windows. I realize these aren't for everyone but I just can't afford an anderson or marvin level window. I had them quoted and :shock: Anderson wanted 75k for a full replacement and Marvin not too far behind.

I've quoted the Simonton 5050 and the Vista Panorama.

I like my Simonton installer much better, but his price is about 5% higher than the Vista Panorama. He included capping/existing sill repair in his price.

The Vista installer isn't as responsive or helpful, but I think I like the window better and it's less expensive. Capping included in price, but charges $60 a sill to repair existing rot so has the potential to even out compared to the 5050 quote.

From my research here I've found the Soft Lite Barrington and will be quoting that soon. Should I expect the Barrington to be lower than the 5050?

Assuming similar pricing, what is the recommended choice here? I'm in Georgia. All windows would be double hung, double pane, Low E Argon filled.

Thanks a ton!

Out of curiosity where in Georgia are you? I'm on the north west side of Atlanta and am going through the process of trying to find the right window for my budget and home as well. I started out like you looking at some of the lower or mid grade offerings to try and save some money. We plan to be in our home for another 5 to 10 years max, so I didn't want to dump a huge chunk of change into windows. After doing a lot of research and bouncing questions off the pros here, I have decided to go with a bit better window. Luckily my budget isn't really set in stone. We purchased our house about a year ago and are doing the same as you, replacing and updating as funds and time permit.

You need to be super careful of the contractor you choose to install your windows. Make sure whoever you go with, they have good reviews on the quality of their install as well as their warranty on labor. Since budget is something to consider, you may want to think about replacing a portion of the windows that are in the worst shape now and then a few more later on. Break it up into multiple purchases to help better fit your budget.

If you are in the Atlanta area, we should compare notes on who we have both talked with. Maybe my research and companies I've talked to already would be of some help to you.

e90steve

#19 Post by e90steve »

How do these window & CFM numbers look?

Rummonkey I'm in the North Atlanta/Alpharetta/Roswell area. Shoot me your email and I'd be glad to compare notes. I've probably quoted every option out there at this point.

Windows on Washington

#20 Post by Windows on Washington »

Decent.

0.06 is pretty good in terms of an air number. I don't care for the PG-R30 though. Seems a bit weak to me.

HomeSealed

#21 Post by HomeSealed »

My sentiments exactly. Getting warmer on the AI, but the dp 50 leaves a bit to be desired.... I also can't help but mention that you can post ratings anonymously if you would like, however there is really no "brand bias" here other than based on experience. Any pro that contributes regularly recommends multiple products that he/she competes against on a regular basis. Just fwiw...

TheWindowNerd

#22 Post by TheWindowNerd »

The .06 AI is a good number. And with the test size of 44" that is good too.
theWindowNerd

e90steve

#23 Post by e90steve »

Those specs are for the Vista Panorama. It's from a document they sent over to me after I requested the air leakage number however I haven't been able to confirm it anywhere else. Also I'm not exactly sure how to read everything so apologize if I'm interpreting it wrong. For the price and if accurate I am pretty impressed.

I have another rep that is quoting the Okna 400 and Softlite Bainbridge for me. I like both of those better obviously. Most likely about double the cost though. Most of my neighbors have pretty standard windows, many of them still original. Even the most mid-range replacements would be an upgrade.
Attachments
E__Customer-Support_Structural-Summary-081215-(1).jpg
(233.75 KiB) Downloaded 95 times

fridge2020

#24 Post by fridge2020 »

That's the first time I've seen an air number published that low for the Panarama. Something seems a little fishy that they are showing a variety of different sizes and ratings on the same model. I've always know it to be in the teens, more like that .15 number. Maybe they improved something though. Either way, I agree with the other guys that teh dp30 is too low for my liking. It pretty widely regarded as an average product, no more no less.

e90steve

#25 Post by e90steve »

That chart came directly from Vista. I called directly to ask for the information because the vendor who have the window quoted through didn't know what the number was... that's a whole different story...

rummonkey

#26 Post by rummonkey »

e90steve wrote:Those specs are for the Vista Panorama. It's from a document they sent over to me after I requested the air leakage number however I haven't been able to confirm it anywhere else. Also I'm not exactly sure how to read everything so apologize if I'm interpreting it wrong. For the price and if accurate I am pretty impressed.

I have another rep that is quoting the Okna 400 and Softlite Bainbridge for me. I like both of those better obviously. Most likely about double the cost though. Most of my neighbors have pretty standard windows, many of them still original. Even the most mid-range replacements would be an upgrade.

Sorry for not getting back with you quicker, I got called out of state for work. Is the rep that you have coming for the Okna and the Softlite out of Woodstock? There is a dealer there that quoted me for the Okna and the Softlite Elements and Bainbridge. Was your Vista Panorama quote from Vinyl Window Solutions? They seemed nice, but I'm not confident in their install team since they contract out. Check out my thread "Vista Panorama, Earthwise or Polaris Unishield?" it shows who I called. I can give ya more details on any of the guys that I talked with as far as what I got for a feeling from them. I'm still out of state right now, so not getting a chance to check this much.

fridge2020

#27 Post by fridge2020 »

e90steve wrote:That chart came directly from Vista. I called directly to ask for the information because the vendor who have the window quoted through didn't know what the number was... that's a whole different story...
Don't doubt that rum. My question is, why put out a chart full of various sizes as opposed to simply stating the rating of the standard gateway size like other manufaturers do? Misdirection. Manipulation. You really shouldn't choose based on the one rating anyway, but when all other numbers on the product suggest mediocrity, and then one rating suggests better but has some doubts as to how and why, I think you can probably know that its a mediocre product. Like somebody siad above, you will see guys recommend products that they compete against here, but that is never one and theres a reason. Cheers mate.

e90steve

#28 Post by e90steve »

What configuration would you suggest for this window:

Either double hungs on the side or casements with picture window in the middle.

Windows on Washington

#29 Post by Windows on Washington »

If they are all going to be fixed unit (if you go that route), why not a single, huge palladian in lieu of the multiples?

e90steve

#30 Post by e90steve »

Every single salesperson I've had out said it is too big of an opening for a single window. So it has to be built in some configuration where at least the top half round is a single piece and the bottom is some configuration of picture, double hung, casement etc...