Sound Quality Issues on Sunrise Windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
anu

Sound Quality Issues on Sunrise Windows

#1 Post by anu »

Hello, we recently had Sunrise windows installed. Since the install, we notice not just that significantly more sound comes through these double-pane windows, but also that we now have a weird high frequency humming / singing throughout our house. It's as if the sound traveling through the 2 panes of glass is somehow magnifying into this high pitched drone that can be extremely annoying.

Neither the installer nor Sunrise will acknowledge any issue. Does anyone have any experience with this? We spent thousands on new windows for our entire house. We are SO disappointed that major investment like this - instead of increasing the comfort and value of our home - has done the reverse.

We did significant research before selecting these windows. I was disappointed that none of the other companies believed enough in their products to offer more than 10 year warranty. Sunrise's warranty is Lifetime. BUT beware - as i've learned, a warranty only does any good if the company actually acknowledges you have a legitimate concern. i wish now we had stuck with one of the major brand names. It's also been a real issue that the install company is not affiliated with Sunrise, as they can easily just point the finger at one another.

While i'm now pretty convinced that the install is OK (foam insulation, etc.) and has not caused these issues, i'm still very disappointed that the installer has washed his hands of the issue instead of advocating for me with Sunrise.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Sound Quality Issues on Sunrise Windows

#2 Post by masterext »

If the install is good and the window isnt defective, i dont know what the installer could do or how he could become your advocate. A new double pane window that is air tight with an install using foam would reduce sound. To what degree depends on many variables.

toddinmn

#3 Post by toddinmn »

Myth: A new window will not always reduce sound.
Even a single pane window with storm can perform better then a new insulated glass unit.
What was in the existing openings? What was there condition?
I'd consider Sunrise one of the major brand names.
What model and type did they install?
We're the weight cavities ? Did they insulate them? More details on the install and existing Windows will help to analyze problems. They may have done everything correctly but failed to explain complexity of sound control.

Delaware Mike

#4 Post by Delaware Mike »

Todd is absolutely correct. I've seen swollen wood windows that are painted shut and haven't been opened in years with super tight storm windows be about the quietest windows one could ever own. Hope you can figure this out and resolve the issue.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Need to know what sort of noise frequency you are getting to make some recommendations.

Todd is spot on though.