Window Warranties: The Deciding Factor?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
CA Dave

Window Warranties: The Deciding Factor?

#1 Post by CA Dave »

I live in Northern CA, and the Popular replacement windows seem to be Milgard, Simonton, and Anlin. Cost is comparable for each with Milgard cheapest, then Simonton (with Superspacer) about 8% higher, and Anlin about 20% higher. What seems to differentiate them is their warranties. Anlin surprisingly seems to have the worst warranty (20 year limited), Milgard (lifetime limited), Simonton (Lifetime and seems to cover everything). Does Simonton’s warranty make it the best buy? Who stands behind their Window's? Too bad No Schuco Windows in CA :cry:

mman

#2 Post by mman »

The Simonton window is a good window, and so is the Milgard. To compare the two, Simonton has won the Builders Magazine "Top Vinyl Window" award one time, while Milgard has won the same award 6 times. That may help with your decision, and Milgard always backs up the warranty, (it happens to also have a 10 year transferrability with it). So, if the Milgard estimate was the lowest, go with it. Milgard would be the "best bang for the buck".

FenEx

#3 Post by FenEx »

I am assuming that mman stands for Milgard man?

mman

#4 Post by mman »

Yes it does, but I try hard to be as non-biased as possible. Doesn't always pan out, but I still try to be professional, but back to the topic at hand, read the two warranties (off of the websites) side by side, and make the decision for yourself.

FenEx

#5 Post by FenEx »

I find Milgard and Simonton to be pretty comparible. Depending on the lines chosen and the area of manufacture, both are strong contenders for the mid to upper-mid market.

No need to give me a disclaimer on bias... we are all biased. Even a homeowner that doesn't like bias is by definition biased. Bias is simply a strong belief or preference of one thing over another.

Welcome to the boards mman.