Replacements for large windows in 100 year old home?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
rch165

Replacements for large windows in 100 year old home?

#1 Post by rch165 »

My wife and I live in a 100+ year old home in TN. The windows are in terrible shape and need to be replaced. We have 9 windows that are 30x90. We have 4 smaller windows that are around 32 x 54.

I am looking for a recommendation for a good replacement window for these windows. We had a quote from Renewal by Anderson and they wanted $16K and the installer has been in business for 25 years. I have recently read a lot of bad press on Renewal and want to get a recommendation on what would be better. I have seen a lot of basing of Anderson but no real solid recommendations?? I don't mind spending some money to replace these windows, but I don't want problems from them either. One of my concerns with vinyl is that it won't be strong enough, especially considering the size of our larger windows. Any suggestions??

Tru_blue

30 x 90

#2 Post by Tru_blue »

That is an unusually tall size so your concern about performance is justified. Numerous thoughts come to mind:

Since you are concerned with strength, unreinforced vinyl would be among the weakest products, and fiberglass and wood (preferrably wood/clad) would be among the strongest. However, there are some vinyl windows that can achieve a DP50 rating when reinforced with metal inside, so if you consider vinyl it would be nice to have it reinforced. A 90" height window would have more deflection, especially in an unreinforced vinyl unit. For that matter, it would have more deflection, air infiltration, etc. in fiberglass, aluminum, or wood as well.

I would suggest trying to get a high DP rating (it's a structural rating, roughly how strong is the window at holding up against high wind loads etc.). It is not a number that is looked at as much as U values and air infiltration ratings but because of your height it becomes more important. I'd aim for a DP50 (which is really really good), if you can find it in that height. It's not mandatory, but nice to have in those tall sizes. DP 40something isn't bad either. I'd recommend avoiding anything less because of your size if you value high performance.

An issue to consider is aesthetics - how the windows will look. I handle wood, vinyl, and fiberglass, but easily my 1st choice in a 100 yr old home would be a wood window. Looks great, works great (depending on the brand), low maintenance if you get it exterior clad. It just doesn't look right on certain homes to get anything else. However, it's worth checking out vinyl and/or fiberglass, since everyone has a different idea of what they find attractive looking. Pella (their Architect series) has the highest DP rating I've seen on wood double hungs (DP50) without having to modify the window, Marvin (their Ultimate Double hung) is pretty good too, and both look BEAUTIFUL. Those are the only two brands I have ever used in that height or taller. Both make wood and fiberglass windows but I don't think either will make one 90" tall in fiberglass. Some brands can achieve a DP50 on their smaller sizes but miss it completely on their larger sizes.

There are two main ways to replace the windows - a retrofit replacement (new windows go into the existing window frame) or a full tear out (the old window frame is removed and the new windows go into the original rough opening). You will find that many brands will not be able to make a 90" tall window, or if they do its performance will be somewhat lacking. Others will be able to make a 90" new construction (full tear out) window, but not a 90" replacement window. Whenever I've done windows that tall (usually once or twice/year) I have always done a new full tear out as I couldn't get a replacement double hung unit in that height. You can also cheat and use a full tear out window without fins in a retrofit application but you may have to modify the existing frame or trim to make it work sometimes.

mman

#3 Post by mman »

That sure is a strange height. Is that one unit, or is there a transom? Your options may be limited if that is the proper size, but have you considered fiberglass? All the looks of wood, and none of the drawbacks. It will cost more than vinyl, but will perform better. Make sure the installer is well established too...the best window can turn into garbage in the wrong hands, especially when you are dealing with a historic house and older wood casings.

Tru_blue

Fiberglass

#4 Post by Tru_blue »

I don't think fiberglass is available in that height.

rch165

#5 Post by rch165 »

Thank you for your replys. I am new to the board and thought it would email me when I got a reply.so sorry for the delay..anway, a few questions.

Whats the difference between a new window and replacement?? Just a fin?

On the "tear out" option, would that affect the interior or exterior trim?? The moldings around the windows are very nice and I would not want to ruin them? What exactly is torn out..the sill, jamb, header? I am sure some of the windows need some wood replaced in the opending due to rot, etc. Especially a few of the sills.

Would another "type" of window..i.e. single hung, fixed frame, casement, etc be a better? What about a commercial window??

Thanks for your help