Alside Excalibur

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
michaelc

Alside Excalibur

#1 Post by michaelc »

Hi. I was wondering if anyone has any feedback on Alside excalibur windows. Are they any good, or are thay more of an entry level window. Any help would be great.
Thanks

ANOTHER WINDOW GUY

#2 Post by ANOTHER WINDOW GUY »

On a scale of 1-10 there about a four. Nice narrow lines but no meat. Too flimsy for my taste.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#3 Post by Window4U (IL) »

I'd give 'em a 1.26

.............on second thought, a 1.23

ANOTHER WINDOW GUY

#4 Post by ANOTHER WINDOW GUY »

After further review, I have changed my rating to a 3.4. Whatever the case there not going to metal.

windowmannjny

#5 Post by windowmannjny »

this is what i meant by one of my older posts on what makes a window bad> the excalibur is a virgin vinyl window with stainless steel constant force balances fusion welded frames and sashes warm edge spacer double strength glass a nice slim profile so the customer does not lose too much viewing area has a u-factor of about .32 comes from a company that has been in business for many years and on the NYSE or Nasdaq ( i forget which one) (soft coat of low-e and argon is available as well as superspacer) interlocking sashes cam-locks etc. i realize that it is not the "almighty schuco" but i would like to know why the experts feel it is such a bad window. i would imagine that the price point is rather competetive, i would not say that it is a $500-700 window but at the right price i would think it was atleast the material would be acceptable as the"norm" for a replacement

ANOTHER WINDOW GUY

#6 Post by ANOTHER WINDOW GUY »

It's not a bad window, it's just not very good. The first time I put one in and went to shut it I thought I was going right through the wall with it. My problem with Alside has always been tolerances. The window is adquate in smaller sizes but when you add some width to it..........different story. I like the slim frame but I use Winstrom if that's the needed look and that window performs. Alside uses the Excalibur as their new construction window. It's just ok at best.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#7 Post by Window4U (IL) »

windowmannjny wrote:this is what i meant by one of my older posts on what makes a window bad> the excalibur is a virgin vinyl window with stainless steel constant force balances fusion welded frames and sashes warm edge spacer double strength glass a nice slim profile so the customer does not lose too much viewing area has a u-factor of about .32 comes from a company that has been in business for many years and on the NYSE or Nasdaq ( i forget which one) (soft coat of low-e and argon is available as well as superspacer) interlocking sashes cam-locks etc. i realize that it is not the "almighty schuco" but i would like to know why the experts feel it is such a bad window. i would imagine that the price point is rather competetive, i would not say that it is a $500-700 window but at the right price i would think it was atleast the material would be acceptable as the"norm" for a replacement
The last time I used them, (which was the first time in a long time) the craftmanship was just horrible. The laminate was peeling off and the sashes were bowed on every one. I reordered sashes (which were not acceptable) and finally replaced them with different windows.
How can I say they I don't think they are a quality window??.......easy. They aren't in my opinion.
On the other hand, if you are 22 years old, make $6.00 an hour and just bought your first home for $24,900, then a window like this may be fine if your windows are bad. You can get a $189 install from WW and probably be thrilled compared to what you had.

All these windows we talk about have a place in the marketplace, just not mine.

windowmannjny

#8 Post by windowmannjny »

as always i appreciate the replies, but i think you may have missed my point. to the average homeowner, looking at the specs of the window it would sound to be of above average quality being that its fusion welded low e argon constant force balances etc. how much different is another window besides shuco, just wondering?

researcher

#9 Post by researcher »

[quote="windowmannjny"]as always i appreciate the replies, but i think you may have missed my point. to the average homeowner, looking at the specs of the window it would sound to be of above average quality being that its fusion welded low e argon constant force balances etc. how much different is another window besides shuco, just wondering?[/quote]

I know home owners with vinyl windows that worked fine when new, but after some time, some would not even open anymore and by using more force in trying to get them open, ended up cracking the handle or something. So when it comes to vinyl, beefier may be better. But I don't know anybody with older beefy vinyl to know if that makes the difference.

ANOTHER WINDOW GUY

#10 Post by ANOTHER WINDOW GUY »

I see some interesting comments and understand a customers perspective. The NFRC and sites like this are about all someone can rely on for information. Many people in the business including myself are quick to judge a window like the Excalibur by simple saying don't buy it or it's not much of a window etc etc without going into detail. I use Silverline as my example. Their DH has an air test of .14 a DP rating of 45, uses a constant force balance system, Cardinal low-e glass has a welded frame and sash and looks presentable. The total unit u is .32. All this would lead you to believe it's a middle of the road window. I however would sell a Excalibur long before that Silverline. This is based on years of window experience and without writing a three hundred page book, I simply say when asked I prefer this one over that one when referring to different windows.
I believe shoppers should pay more attention to local dealers and what their customers say about them and their product. It's nice to visit a place like this but it's the lazy way to shop. The NFRC helps but I can tell you a lot more about a window from my experiences than you'll ever learn on that site and there are a lot of pro's here that can do the same. So for the consumer that's really concerned about their window purchase you've got to do it all, It's a lot more work but worth the effort. And don't forget to haggle.

Scott1q1

#11 Post by Scott1q1 »

Alsides' biggest problem is guilt by association

windowmannjny

#12 Post by windowmannjny »

thank you Another Window Guy so you can understand where i am coming from. a shady salesman can make a customer believe that the silverline is a good window going based on its features. is there anyway that we can pass on to the consumer without saying "in my opinion" or "based on my experiences" because just as we try to look out for our customers, the next guy wants to rip them off and a large majority of consumers will opt out for the lower price because they want to believe its the same as the last guys window

ANOTHER WINDOW GUY

#13 Post by ANOTHER WINDOW GUY »

Scott if your insinuating that Alsides association with WW clouds their image, wait until they sell one of your potential customers out their back door. Their quite clever about it though so you may not notice.

WisWindowGuy

#14 Post by WisWindowGuy »

Scott1q1 wrote:Alsides' biggest problem is guilt by association
Alsides biggest problem is the company that actually owns them and the
area of the world it's based in. LOL...just kidding

AimHigh

#15 Post by AimHigh »

ANOTHER WINDOW GUY wrote:It's not a bad window, it's just not very good. The first time I put one in and went to shut it I thought I was going right through the wall with it. My problem with Alside has always been tolerances. The window is adquate in smaller sizes but when you add some width to it..........different story. I like the slim frame but I use Winstrom if that's the needed look and that window performs. Alside uses the Excalibur as their new construction window. It's just ok at best.
Window Guy - can you provide me some details as to why the Winstrom is a better way to go if wanting a slim frame...I too was looking at the Excalibure for that feature.
thanks-