Another Sunrise Question

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
AKHS

Another Sunrise Question

#1 Post by AKHS »

Like everyone else, I’m about sick of looking at windows. I have to replace 27 wooden double hungs in a recently purchased 20 year old all-brick home. We plan on staying in the home at least 10 years.

We started this process a year ago with an Apex Solutions pitch but decided against it. We’ve also been pitched RBA, Softlite Pro, Zen Windows, and Alside. Upon culling some window forums and reviews, I decided to look at the Sunrise brand. I kept reading they produce very good windows except the the Elements line. But now I’m reading that they have significant sagging issues.

I really like the simplified look of the Sunrise models with the larger glass area. In the Charlotte, NC area, there are two Sunrise dealers. One is a large firm that offers the Restoration and Elements, while the other is a small firm offering the Restoration, Vanguard, Verde, and Elements. The smaller owner claims to have a close relationship with Sunrise built through a brand (I can’t remember which one) that Sunrise purchased some years ago. Maybe that’s why they have access to all of the lines as I’ve read that Sunrise usually provides dealers with a high and a low option. This dealer has been in business for almost 30 years and has lots of great reviews (along with a couple of negative ones) and his installation techniques mirror the ones that WoW and HomeSealed suggest. He also installs Okna, and Softlite.

The Restorations is out of my comfort zone price-wise. So I am about to pull the trigger on either the Vanguard or Verde. The owner’s son says he installed the Verde on his own home and highly recomments it. Obviously, I’d prefer the sash reinforcement in the Vanguard but really don’t know if it’s a “must have” item. My largest units are 32x72.

Per unit numbers as of today:
Softlite Pro $687
Zen Nirvana (SL Classic) $566
Verde $760
Restorations Double Hung $1,288
Restorations Single Hung $1,055
Elements Double Hung $1,036
Elements Single Hung $958
Alside Mezzo $503

After spending a couple of winters with the old wood units, almost anything will be better so the fractional differences in energy efficiency are not my biggest concern. I want a good looking window that lets in lots of light and won’t cause me problems down the road. And yes, at a reasonable price!

Thanks for any feedback provided.

Windows on Washington

Re: Another Sunrise Question

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Your window unit sizes aren't really that large and I am guessing the 72" tall ones are the biggest with the majority falling in the smaller brackets.

Its been forever since I have looked at a Sunrise price book, but can't they just specify the reinforcement in the Verde?

AKHS

#3 Post by AKHS »

You are correct with the sizing. I've sent the installer/dealer an email asking about the reinforcement option. I'll report back when I get an answer. My wife wants to consider the Okna 600 and we may be able to take a look at one next week.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#4 Post by masterext »

Elements doesnt have sagging issues at all.
A few negative reviews from a company that has been in business a long time isnt unusual and i wouldnt pay attention to that. Some customers enjoy giving bad reviews. the old 15 minutes of fame thing.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

masterext wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:41 pm Elements doesnt have sagging issues at all.
A few negative reviews from a company that has been in business a long time isnt unusual and i wouldnt pay attention to that. Some customers enjoy giving bad reviews. the old 15 minutes of fame thing.
I think that there may be a mixup here. The Softlite elements has no sagging. The Sunrise Essentials is not as highly regarded as the other Sunrise models. Not sure if Essentials was mistakenly called the Elements, or if we are jumping around on products a little bit here... On the Sunrise, if they can add the sash reinforcement and foam fill to the Verde, it should be about the same as the restorations. I'd wait to see what you think of the Okna products though, as well as the pricing. While most put the higher end Sunrise models in a high tier of quality and performance, you'll likely find the Okna regarded even higher, along with the aforementioned Softlite Elements if that is indeed an option that you are entertaining. The Okna 1000, 800, or 600 would be finalists for me with the Elements.

AKHS

#6 Post by AKHS »

I took the hour drive to the showroom again today. We went to see the Okna 600 as it supposedly has a slim frame profile like the Sunrise. My wife and I still prefer the look of the Sunrise. To our surprise, our original estimate for the Sunrise Verde did include the sash reinforcement.

I asked about single hung options because we don’t have a real need for doubles. The estimate for 27 Sunrise Verde single hungs is the same as 27 Okna 600’s double hungs: $16,500.

AKHS

#7 Post by AKHS »

Or $611 per unit, installed.

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

Frame sizes on the Sunrise and the Okna 600 should identical in this comparison if memory serves me correctly, but if you are happy with the look and the reinforcement on the Sunrise...it is definitely one of the more recommended windows out there so you are in good shape.

AKHS

#9 Post by AKHS »

Thank you all for your responses. This board and a couple of others are fantastic resources. One more question: How does the consumer know if the options ordered are actually the options delivered? Without cutting open a frame, how can I tell if it is fully insulated, has fiberglass reinforcements, or that the glass package is as specified?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#10 Post by masterext »

AKHS wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:26 am Thank you all for your responses. This board and a couple of others are fantastic resources. One more question: How does the consumer know if the options ordered are actually the options delivered? Without cutting open a frame, how can I tell if it is fully insulated, has fiberglass reinforcements, or that the glass package is as specified?
Like anything else, whether you are choosing a money manager, insurance agent, doctor, and in your case a contractor, you are hiring them because you trust them. If you think they may not provide what you agree to, you may need to hire a different company that you do trust. That said, you should be fine. It would be very rare for a company to rip you off in that way.

Windows on Washington

#11 Post by Windows on Washington »

Easiest way it to look at the NFRC sticker. Options will be listed on there.

AKHS

#12 Post by AKHS »

Thanks again gentlemen.

ScottFiore1

#13 Post by ScottFiore1 »

The Softlite elements has no sagging. The Sunrise Essentials is not as highly regarded as the other Sunrise models. Not sure if Essentials was mistakenly called the Elements, or if we are jumping around on products a little bit here :D