Pella 350 vs Okna 800 (and other questions)

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Windows on Washington

Re: Pella 350 vs Okna 800 (What to do?)

#31 Post by Windows on Washington »

I was only commenting on the product in that recommendation. If you like the installer better...its a win - win.

I agree with HomeSealed. The Okna with the standard glass is the more appropriate glass here. The only better option would but triple pane with the standard SHGC glass.

TheWindowNerd

#32 Post by TheWindowNerd »

How bout Honest Windows, no BS.

Newbie772

#33 Post by Newbie772 »

Hi all,

I was not sure I would like the handles on the 800 series so I contacted another installer who offers the 500 series. I’m glad I did. The 500 series seems like a solid window that I will not regret at a much better price than sunrise restorations. I also like the slimmer frame of the 500 series compared to the 800 series. The 500 series will also save me a couple hundred dollars on the project compared to the 800 series and this company also offers attractive financing options.

After speaking to this latest installer, I unow nderstand what window nerd was referring to about the field applied fins on the 800 series. Didn’t realize the 800 does not come as new construction and the fins have to be retrofitted (glued on) to the replacement windows. For this reason, this installer recommends the 500 series over the 800 series for my situation (they sell both).

So, in summary, the windows I am considering are the 500 deluxe heat seal (NO sunseal) with contoured colonial grids.

I just have one question about the installation. Is it typical to use spray foam with the installation? The 500 series comes with manufacturer applied foam and the installer says no other spray foam is needed. He said they would tape the flange. Moreover, the interior trim would not be replaced (only damaged sills would be replaced where needed). Does all that sound correct? Anything else I should ask him about the installation?

I also received a quote from this same installer for the Elegante Forester patio door. In the pictures, the frame looks somewhat wide. Does sunrise offer a patio door with a slimmer frame than Okna?

Thanks for the help.

Windows on Washington

#34 Post by Windows on Washington »

Spray foam is preferred in my opinion. The open cell foam around the windows is not as effective at stopping air infiltration.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#35 Post by masterext »

You will be very happy with the okna patio door. As far as the install, it seems as if your installer knows what he is doing, i would just let him do his job and not try looking to deeply into things, its just going to create a bunch of unnecessary confusion.

Newbie772

#36 Post by Newbie772 »

Thanks WoW, is it necessary to remove the interior trim to apply the spray foam or is there a way to do it without removing the interior trim?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#37 Post by masterext »

These are questions you really need to be asking the installer you are choosing to hire. If he owns a window company and uses a high end window, i am betting he is a competent installer.

randy

#38 Post by randy »

If your windows are being installed with nailing fins, the interior trim will have to be removed in order to use spray foam to air seal. It’s worth doing, since this is the time to get it right.

TheWindowNerd

#39 Post by TheWindowNerd »

There are installs where we dry fit the unit into the hole, push it out 1/4", put a needle tip on the foam gun spray perimeter, then push window back.

HomeSealed

#40 Post by HomeSealed »

I agree, spray foam is preferred. In addition, the installation with nail fin and without removing the interior trim seems a little dicey. They must have the jamb depth measurement perfect and also use a creative means of insulating the cavity as Window Nerd described... Hard to say if anything is being neglected here or if they simply have creative means of addressing. The lack of spray foam is a little red flag, but again, there could be many things being lost in translation

10kredline

Re: Pella 350 vs Okna 800 (and other questions)

#41 Post by 10kredline »

trying to get in contact with masterext for an estimate. masterext are you out there?

masterext

#42 Post by masterext »

10redline
You can call me on my cell or shoot me an email. We spoke already and i stopped over.
Paul

tripleDouble

#43 Post by tripleDouble »

Hey Newbie772,

Did you end up getting the Okna 500? I'm in the same area and was wondering if you can tell me which installer you used.

HomeSealed

#44 Post by HomeSealed »

tripledouble, not sure if you will get a response from the OP, but Masterext runs a great company called AGM. Highly recommended if he services your area.