Gorell window replacement

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
timchi29

Gorell window replacement

#1 Post by timchi29 »

I have 5 slider windows from Gorell that I need to replace the glass since the seals are broke. Any recommended contractors in the Chicago area? Tried Dave (windows4u) but I seem to have old contact info. Thanks.

Windows on Washington

Re: Gorell window replacement

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Tough spot to be in. Have you called a local glazing company? Perhaps they can order or remake the IGUs for you?

timchi29

#3 Post by timchi29 »

Thanks for the feedback. What is a glazing company? Would a window contractor be able to order new glass and replace?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#4 Post by masterext »

Window companies normally dont replace glass unless it was a window they installed and they agreed to warranty.
Calling a residential glass repair company would be your best bet.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

+1.
First, if they are still around, I'd contact your installation dealer. Hopefully they can help.

2) Softlite originally purchased the assets of Gorell and had been manufacturing service parts for a bit, not sure if they are still doing so. That would be a potential option.

3)If not, (or maybe even if so), a local glass supplier would be able to make and install to the spec that you need. It sounds like option(s) 1 and 2 may have already been exhausted, so this is where you may be at... as masterext said, most window installation companies will only "service" product that they installed for a host of reasons.

timchi29

#6 Post by timchi29 »

1) Contractor is no longer around.
2) i called soft-lite earlier in the week and they could send me the glass for the smaller windows, but not the larger. They will not honor warantee and I would need to pay.
3) I called a contractor in the area and they can replace for 150-170 per unit (300-340 per window). They use
Cardinal IG Glass with 10 yr warranty.

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

The price for option 3 sounds reasonable, and Cardinal glass is very good. I'd go that route and odds are that you will not have to replace again.

NuSash

#8 Post by NuSash »

The Gorell product was decent, so glass replacement would definitely be worth exploring.
NuSash
installing windows since 1934