Living room remodel - Builder spec'd Visions 3500

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
schmeckp

Living room remodel - Builder spec'd Visions 3500

#1 Post by schmeckp »

Hello,

I'm new to the site - stumbled across it a few weeks ago as we started drafting a living room remodel that relocates a fireplace and expands / replaces a wall of windows. We just sat down with a contractor this morning that drew up the space. The exterior wall is 19'w x 18' h, and currently houses 6 windows, two rows of three, each row is 65"h x 120"w. Bottom row is a 5'w picture window flanked by two 28" DH. Top row is 3 picture windows of matching widths. Currently there is only a 1" piece of vinyl between the windows vertically, and a 4x6 header horizontally).

As we're moving the corner fireplace, we're gaining more room, and we want to go taller and wider with the windows. The designer drew up a plan with a 3x3 grid of windows, with a cased out grid in between each. The two outside bottom windows will be casement, and the other 7 windows will be picture. Our house is white trim exterior and interior, so the contractor said his window guy recommended Weather Shield Visions 3500 as a mid-grade vinyl window. Our house is currently 16 years old (we've owned for 1 year), with Visions 2000 SH windows throughout, many of which are failing. Our prior house also had Visions 2000 windows and we didn't really like them. Given that, I wasn't keen on another Visions product, but I was told the Visions line from 15 years ago isn't the same as what they make now.

Given the size of the new opening (going from 10'w x 11'h to approx 13'w x 14'h) that we're filling with glass, we've also had someone recommend looking at fiberglass windows for rigidity. FYI, I mentioned Okna as a brand based on some reading I'd done on the site and our contractor hadn't heard of them.

Would love input on: 1) Vinyl vs Fiberglass, 2) Visions 3500 vs other lines (our contractor said lots of his clients select Pella or Andersen, which I know the forum doesn't seem to be a fan of), 3) best casement & picture windows for where we're located (SE Wisconsin, plenty of cold). We'll likely replace our remaining windows & patio door over the next couple years.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Living room remodel - Builder spec'd Visions 3500

#2 Post by masterext »

I can see why you have issues as vision windows are garbage. I am not big on wood windows and pella fiberglass is no better than what you currently have; their air infiltration rating is horrible and its a flimsy window.
You mention Okna. Okna windows are one of the most air tight windows in the industry and also one of the nicest looking. They are designed amd engineered for extremely cold climates like you have in Wisconsin. Also, since you are in Wisconsin, there is a pro who comes to this forum who is located in Wisconsin. He goes by the name “ HomeSealed “ which is also the name of his company. Not only is he one of the nicest guys you will ever meet, he is also the most knowledgable people in terms of windows that i ever had the experience of talking to. I also believe he offers Okna. I would definitely contact HomeSealed and at least talk to him.

schmeckp

#3 Post by schmeckp »

Thanks for the input. Any others to look at besides okna? I only mention them as I saw them as highly regarded in the forum.

I'm asking our contractor if they sub out windows and would work with homesealed. As the project is part of a larger remodel, not sure how that would work.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1 on reaching out to HomeSealed and Brandon.

I am sure he can work with your contractor and either go direct on the install or help him out with product. The reality is that you are going to be faced with a replacement decision on those other windows in the not to distant future so it will be nice to have some consistency throughout if you go and stay with the Okna or their composite product.