Simonton, Ply Gem or Alside

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
MNW

Re: Simonton, Ply Gem or Alside

#31 Post by MNW »

So it seems, for some reason, the Simonton dealer backed out. No idea why. Seems Alside is not even worth considering.

I guess the same can be said for the PlyGem Pro for $3500 (which I believe is made by Great Lakes?)

The Okna dealer also sells Soft-Lite, but I think they are more expensive. They have been around for about 15 years, have great online reviews (including BBB where they are accredited). They dont require money down (pay when complete). An it seems the price is really good. Almost sounds too good to be true. I will consider it even though its over 1k more than the PlyGem Pros.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#32 Post by masterext »

Not requiring any money down is extremely rare and i dont know of anyone who would ever think of doing that. I would never do that under any circumstance. Every company i know require 35-50% down. Just as i would never recommend going with a company because they have the lowest price, i would also never recommend going with a company just because they dont require a down payment.

MNW

#33 Post by MNW »

Never said that was the only reason. Again, lots of online reviews that are good, been around for a while. I dont know what else to look for. Im not a window expert. I shouldnt also choose the most expensive either for no reason.

HomeSealed

#34 Post by HomeSealed »

toddinmn wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:57 am If you’re budget is that tight I would have no problem with the 5500. Putting it in the category of “some “ builder grade junk is a bit harsh and incorrect IMO.
Yes Todd, great point. I made it almost verbatim in my post immediately above your comment: "Let me also reiterate that while I don't love Simonton, as I stated, I wouldn't put it in the same category as most "builder grade" junk."
Perhaps you mistakenly read wouldn't as would.

MNW that sounds like an excellent deal on the EcoPro. Yes it is worth the upcharge IMO over the Simonton and Plygem based purely on product, however all of the details about the installation company, its reputation, etc just added icing on that cake.

toddinmn

#35 Post by toddinmn »

Seems I am having problems reading between the lines.
I’d say the installation and the company are the cake, the Okna would be the icing.

MNW

#36 Post by MNW »

I had the okna dealer come out. I did like the windows, obviously higher quality than the other windows.

He quoted me the 500 and 600.

500 with deluxe heatseal glass package: $4350
600 with deluxe heatseal glass package: $4590

He said there is the SunSeal package, but he doesnt recommend because of the VT difference. I realize the glass package they recommended isn’t energy star rated because the SHGC is too high. Should this be a concern?

He said the main difference between the 500 and 600 is the top lift handle and the reinforced locking sash. I want white/white windows. Is this correct?

Is it worth $30 a window for the 600 over the 500?

HomeSealed

#37 Post by HomeSealed »

Very similar windows and performance. The difference between the two comes down to option content more than anything IMO. Pick the one that you like better, or if you want to pocket a couple bucks you aren't losing a ton.

MNW

#38 Post by MNW »

He was comparing the difference with the heat shield deluxe package and white color.

I actually don’t like the top lift rail on the 600. Is there a reason the reinforcement of the 600 is needed? This more important near the coast?

The 500 and 600 he quoted me both are foam filled.

Also, there is a solar deluxe package that lowers the SHGC to .21, but lowers the VT to .41. This compares to .29 shgc and .52 vt of the package he offered me. Im in Atlanta and the windows face south west so they get lots of sun. The upgrade worth it?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#39 Post by masterext »

The handle on the 600 is very appealing to most. Same goes for the 800. As for reinforcement, it adds structural integrity to the window. The okna 600 also has an interlocking sill and interlocking header as well. The 800 also has these feautures. These upgrades are there for a reason and most high end windows will have similar features.

HomeSealed

#40 Post by HomeSealed »

IMO, the initial glass that he offered is most appropriate. If you were in the desert or someplace where your furnace rarely ran, that would be different. The standard low e will take a huge bite out of the heat that you feel coming through as well as the UV rays that fade your furniture, flooring, etc.

On the 500 vs 600, the features that masterext mentioned are not without merit. It is the upgraded window, and the price difference here is pretty small. Is the reinforcement needed? Considering that the 500 series gets a DP 50 without it, I'd say absolutely not. That said, its not bad to have. I'd just go back to my earlier comments to pick the one you like better. The performance numbers are almost identical. The 500 and 600 are the same model Mercedes, the 600 just has a few more heavy duty options like say a tranny cooler and a little better sound system.
You will not go wrong here either way.
The really weird thing is that you have a dealer offering you both options. They are so close, dealers generally only carry one or the other

MNW

#41 Post by MNW »

All thanks for the info. I think im going with the Okna 600 with heatshield deluxe package. It has a SHGC of .3.

Does anyone know the make/model of glass used?

masterext

#42 Post by masterext »

Deluxe is doubl pane- .26 ufactor.. one thing that makes absolutely no sense to me is how the 500 and 600 would have the same structural rating of 50. If the 600 has structural reinforcement as well as 2 additional structural interlocks and the 500 does not, how in the world could the 600 not be at least a 60 structural rating?? Its not because the 500 frame is stronger, thats for sure.

toddinmn

#43 Post by toddinmn »

Because Okna said so.

HomeSealed

#44 Post by HomeSealed »

toddinmn wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:09 am Because Okna said so.
Okna(or insert any manufacturer) doesn't test the windows, an ANSI certified laboratory does. I know that you are aware of that, I'm only clarifying so that the OP and others don't read this and think that performance ratings are only as honest as the manufacturers publishing them. We'd all be in trouble in that case... All thermal and structural ratings are independently tested and certified.

Clearly, while the upgraded features on the 600 are nice and again, not without merit, they just aren't enough to push the DP rating to that next threshold.

@MNW, great choice. Again, either option would have been. As far as the glass it's made by Guardian.

MNW

#45 Post by MNW »

Do the Okna 500 and 600 share the same frame (excluding reinforcements, etc)? Do they basically look the same? They didnt have the Okna 500 with them, only the 600.

Also, the quote for the Provia Endure was about the same as the Okna. Looking at specs looked similar. I dont remember the Endure because it was higher than I wanted to spend at the time so I didnt focus on it. Is the Okna 600 better than the Endure?