Simonton, Ply Gem or Alside

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Simonton, Ply Gem or Alside

#46 Post by masterext »

The Okna 600 will have a better air infiltration rating than the Endure and a better ( slightly) Ufactor.

HomeSealed

#47 Post by HomeSealed »

MNW wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:29 pm Do the Okna 500 and 600 share the same frame (excluding reinforcements, etc)? Do they basically look the same? They didnt have the Okna 500 with them, only the 600.

Also, the quote for the Provia Endure was about the same as the Okna. Looking at specs looked similar. I dont remember the Endure because it was higher than I wanted to spend at the time so I didnt focus on it. Is the Okna 600 better than the Endure?
The 500 and 600 essentially share the same frame with a few small exceptions including the aforementioned sill interlock. The sash panels however on the 600 are closer to the 800 and share dimensions with it. The 500 and 600 are identical twins from the exterior. On the interior, the only differences in appearance are the metal handle on the upper sash, along with the slightly thicker sash profile on the 600.

As for the Endure, it's a middling choice. I don't think anyone would categorize it along side the Okna models for various reasons. Its an easy choice for Okna IMO .
Last edited by HomeSealed on Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MNW

#48 Post by MNW »

I placed my order for the Okna 600 deluxe package. The only concern I have if I should have chosen the glass package with a lower SHGC. I get a lot of heat in the windows being replaced in the summer, but I also don’t want dark windows. I haven’t been able to compare .54vt to .42vt to see how dark .42vt is. Wished they used a glass in between the two.

I have until the install manager comes out to measure for ordering the windows to make any changes.

MNW

#49 Post by MNW »

Installation Manager came out to measure to order the windows (sales measures for price). I talked to him about capping vs not capping. I plan, if I stay in the house, to replace the siding in 5 years. He said if the siding company is careful, the capping won’t have to be removed. He said they rarely are tho.

He said if they don’t do capping (btw, my wood trim is in good condition), they would probably install from the inside. Any pros and cons of inside install? Any pros to capping except for lower maintance? They said when they do capping they glue it on. Most installs I’ve seen nailed on. Is this abnormal?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#50 Post by masterext »

Interior install is fine. No issues with that. As for capping, it doesnt actually seal the window, it just eliminates the need to paint and maintain the exterior window trim.

samitn

#51 Post by samitn »

I figured it was a smart choice to upgrade for $500.

HostGator DreamHost Bluehost
Last edited by samitn on Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MNW

#52 Post by MNW »

My windows were installed. I like them but there were a few hiccups.

1. Was suppose to get obscure glass in bathroom window, it wasnt. Had to order new sashes

2. One of the balances was too strong (the top sash would try to close itself when fully opened). They pointed out the model number was different than another window that was the same size. They said they believe it was designed for a heavier window. They are ordering me a new balance.

3. One of the spacers was mildly bulging so they are order another sash there as well

Also, out of curiosity, does anyone know what kind of foam they use in the 600 series in the frame?

masterext

#53 Post by masterext »

Your issues are easily resolved and very insignificant. Let the company take care of it. I wouldnt worry about it.

Delaware Mike

#54 Post by Delaware Mike »

OKNA insulates their frames with EPS foam inserts when specified with the deluxe energy savings package or ala carte request. Some other premium manufacturers utilize filling the extrusions with low-expansion spray foam which is also great, however there is cons like burping of the foam that can leave potential hollow spots in the extrusions with no real way to tell during the manufacturing process.

Most of us dealers have sold both EPS foam insert and spray foam insulated frames and really can't give a nod to which is really better as they both do the same thing in regard to the performance testing of the window.

HomeSealed

#55 Post by HomeSealed »

Agreed with marsterext on the minor service issues, also on the foam assessment by DM. Both EPS and injected have some minor advantages and disadvantages, but both are very effective. I always suggest referring to how it affects the U value (thermal performance) as that tells you how it will actually benefit you and cut through the "salesmanship". In this case, your particular manufacturer actually switched over from the injected due to those fill concerns, and the window tested at the same exact U value.

Windows on Washington

#56 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1.

The foam and utility of it all depends on the extrusion and design of the window. With regards to which is better...the injected closed cell polyurethane will have a slightly higher R-Value, but the human component for error in a closed cavity fill (trick installation to get 100% right) makes me default to the inserted foam to be honest.

jlondos23

#57 Post by jlondos23 »

Forget all those and go with one of the quality brands mentioned and find a model from their vast collection of models for all areas and home types. Cost is only what you pay for what you get. But price will get you every time, you’ll keep paying for it over and over if you make the mistake of choosing by price alone.