Insulated Glass Units - Dallas

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
WhatToDo

Insulated Glass Units - Dallas

#1 Post by WhatToDo »

I am looking to replace some or more likely ALL the glass units in our 24 yr old house due to seal failure and hail damage to glazing beads. Since we won't live here much longer, replacing all the windows is out of the question. 2 story house with 70 glass units, roughly 32 windows.

Research suggests Cardinal 366 LoE glass, but local glass guy says I won't get any benefits over using 270 LoE glass due to the aluminum frame. Is that right?

Local glass guys don't buy IG units made by Cardinal, they buy units from Dallas Flat Glass, or Thermotec in Carrollton. Can they make IG units as reliable as Cardinal can, or should I find someone who will have Cardinal manufacture the IG units?

I assume window manufacturers buy IG units rather than make their own. Is that correct, generally speaking? Who are the main IG manufacturers they buy units from?

Should I worry about argon fill vs air fill?

The north and south side each have only two windows, and I may replace them. The two I have spoken with recommend Burris Vinyl Windows.

Any guidance or thoughts you have would be helpful.

Windows on Washington

Re: Insulated Glass Units - Dallas

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

1. Incorrect. Low-e 366 is more effective for your climate zone.
2. Not sure. Cardinal is pretty darn good at this point.
3. For just getting them ready to sell...probably not. Argon is more efficient.

randy

#3 Post by randy »

WoW nailed it with great advice on all counts. Cardinal makes one of the best IG units, but they do have QC issues with tempered glass out of the Waxahachie plant. Regardless, that’s who I would use.

Burris vinyl is fine for a home you intend to sell soon.

WhatToDo

#4 Post by WhatToDo »

Thank you, that was helpful. I am inclined to Cardinal manufactured IG units. I have another glass person coming who uses Cardinal manufactured IG units and will see what they advise and quote.

WhatToDo

#5 Post by WhatToDo »

Have a quote for Cardinal manufactured IG units with 366 glass for roughly $8200 before tax for 67 glass units. One unit on order to make sure it will fit existing frame depth (should per Cardinal but best to confirm since right on the margin).

Asked several neighbors about their recently replaced windows, and none know the manufacturer or the glass, only the contractor! On Nextdoor, a lot of Window World, Alside Mezzo, Conservation Construction on $400k+ houses. Neighbor did Burris on a $600k house (he didn't know mfr, but installer told me). Number used Best Buy Siding and Windows (brand unknown) but their web pages advertises 10 single hung installed for $3,950. Cheap.

Front of house has 13 windows (5 with arches) and 3 door transoms - 34 glass units, cost over $4,200, so I may get window quotes for just the front. Contractor some have used does several brands - Milgard, NT, Andersen, Jeld-Wen, Sierra Pacific and their own Brennan brand (pvt label, no doubt). Seems like a good choice to get quotes, given variety. Thoughts on brand/model for Dallas, west facing, 1994 construction, two story, in the above value ranges?

The front is brick, and all the window frames are in a cavity inset by 4". Would new windows require sheetrock work, repainting?

WhatToDo

#6 Post by WhatToDo »

Just called Best Buy, our of curiosity. The primary brand they install is MI Windows.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

Most insert application are done in a manner so as to not require drywall work.

I am sure Randy is around and can comment with some familiarity given that he is out of Houston and knows the Texas landscape as it pertains to window suppliers and products.

LoneStarGuy

#8 Post by LoneStarGuy »

I had two windows with broken seals or hard to operate sashes a year ago. I called local glass places and cost was $200 per unit or $400 per window. I ended up buying two new vinyl windows new with LoE 366/LoE 340 glass for less than than replacing the glass doing my own labor. Cost was around $250/window. If you are handy it is something to consider. I've since replaced 8 more windows and am about to order 7 more to be done. Total cost for 17 windows will be around $5400.

WhatToDo

#9 Post by WhatToDo »

Thanks, and though I am somewhat handy, I am not going to replace the units myself. I have a pretty good quote already on IG units (~$130 per unit installed), so a lot cheaper than your IG quote.

Had one IG unit installed yesterday as a test. Wow, the 366 glass is so nice and a huge improvement over the old clear glass. From across the room, it looks as if there is no glass in the window! Cardinal IG units do fit our frame. Next week they will replace the test unit for free since they did not measure properly. (To be fair, they told me upfront this might happen since they didn't pull the beading when measuring).

Still waffling on whether I should consider windows for the front.

WhatToDo

#10 Post by WhatToDo »

An update: we have now had Cardinal manufactured IG units installed in 7 windows and really, really like them. A huge improvement. Our plan is to continue replacing the IG units in the other windows (sides and back before addressing front), but our installer has gotten busy and I hope we are not getting brushed off.

I just got a quote for NT Executive Windows for the front to see if that made sense rather than glass replacement. The contractor recommended by neighbors said our arched windows should not be done as one window (currently 3 glass units) because our blinds on the inside are two pieces - one for the wood blinds and a fabric arch fan blind. Said the arch should be a separate window or there will be no line across and you will see the blind hardware and it won't be pretty. We have five arches above windows on the front. (We have one arch on the back, which will be a test to see how the 366 looks with the blinds done as IG units).

Said replacement windows don't have nailing flanges, they are screwed thru frame into studs (if I understood correctly). Said they don't use foam, that is just a marketing gimmick, but can at extra expense. Also said do white, or would be $150 more per window - what? Told me they can be any color but other than white they paint the vinyl, bake it, etc, and that is why it is so costly (am guessing he didn't tell me there are a few other standard colors that wouldn't cost $150 more since none match our red brick/grey trim scheme). Also said reconnecting security alarms is $16 per window for the six first floor windows that have them. I asked about cutting sheetrock and window sill and they said unnecessary in brick, but if replacing windows in siding they have to cut and set window back.

So, given the arches that means 21 windows on front, 3 of which are around and above the door, and the rest are single hung. $13,200. Told me that their house brand window, Traditions, is NT, and is about 10% more. Cardinal IG units installed is ~$4,500 so unless that price came down a lot, I can't see doing windows.

Any thoughts or comments are welcome.

WhatToDo

#11 Post by WhatToDo »

This is a picture of the front of the house. The current windows were tinted 25 yrs ago when the two trees were tiny.
Attachments
176 (Small).JPG
(163.65 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Windows on Washington

#12 Post by Windows on Washington »

Paging Ultra Windows for feedback....

WhatToDo

#13 Post by WhatToDo »

Also wondering if thermally broken aluminum might be a significantly less expensive option.

I see Don Young has such and uses an aluminm glazing bead. Any idea how that bead stands up to hail, since we get hail somewhat regularly?

If a lot cheaper, other brands of thermally broken aluminum to consider for my Dallas area home?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#14 Post by masterext »

When you start looking for cheap alternatives you are making a big sacrifice on quality hence impending issues.
Unless its a rental or some kind of house flip.

WhatToDo

#15 Post by WhatToDo »

I am not looking for cheap. I am looking for a good quality window that is less expensive. I have read nothing but good things about Don Young thermally broken aluminum windows. I have no idea if they are a little less expensive than the NT Executive quote I got or a lot less expensive. I am confident they are better than the 25 year old builder standard aluminum windows I currently have.

I agree with you, cheap is bad.

Hopefully Randy will read the posts starting with my update above and chime in.