Install temperature for Windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
DAR

Install temperature for Windows

#1 Post by DAR »

I bought a new 11 years old house about a year ago, that most of the window are fogging up. The cost from the there dealer to repair windows was not worth it. I have ordered new windows and there have come in to the dealer he wants to install them. My Question is at that temperature is it too cold to install and not cause a foam or calk failure from the house movement when it heat up this summer? I live in Michigan and temperature it still in the twenties and low teens at night.

Delaware Mike

Re: Install temperature for Windows

#2 Post by Delaware Mike »

No issues with the sealants that we window pros all utilize. Some of the heavier solvent based sealants like OSI Quad do prefer warmer temps as the cheaper cardboard tubes and how the caulking flows out of the nozzle can make the tube to tip tie-in area fail which means caulk all over our caulk gun and a tube to be taped up or thrown away. We simply put the boxes of caulking in the cabs of our work trucks to get warm during the commute or inside the homeowner's house for a few hours prior to utilizing. Silicone or hybrids have no real problems with the cold temps.

Spray foam either needs to the be the harder to find "All Weather" formula designed for the cold temps or the installers need to get their cans of foam warmed up for a few hours prior to application. I don't have a problem installing in your temperatures unless the homeowner really prefers us not to work on a super cold windy miserable day.

DAR

#3 Post by DAR »

Thanks for the response I was concerned that the house might have to much movement with a 60-80 degree change. I didn't want the installers hurrying and get done to be warm not doing a good job.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

Good feeback from DM. Very little restriction as it pertains to the materials, most are rated at or below 0 degrees. Our general rule is installer comfort to ensure quality. Hard to put an exact temperature on that, as 20* with wind can be less comfortable than a sunny and calm 12*... Its not often that we are working in single digits though.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#5 Post by masterext »

Far too many homeowners focus on temperature for the install when in reality, you can install in zero degree weather although i would not want my installers doing that because im a nice guy.lol
Most companies focus on one room at a time and keep doors closed which minimizes any discomfort on the part of the homeowner.
I will tell you, given the choice, most installers would rather install on a 20 degree day opposed to a 95 degree day.