Window Quote Help

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
wildblue

Window Quote Help

#1 Post by wildblue »

I have 27 double hung windows that need replaced here in the middle of Ohio. I have 4 quotes so far:
Window World. Well, let's just skip that one. I don't believe I'm getting anything great for $269 a window. I plan on being in the house for awhile.

Sunrise - from all the reading I've done, I know this is a favorite but it came in at $23.5k - that seems a little high.

Polaris Thermalweld - $17.7k

Gilkey 366 - $16.9k

It's tough to find a strong opinion on Gilkey since they're pretty regional, but they tend to have favorable reviews on window performance and installation. I think I'm deciding between Gilkey and Polaris at this point. Gilkey has a slightly better U-Value and SHGC numbers, and I think their warranty is a little better. Then it's pocket sill vs slope sill and 500 chambers vs foam filled.
I had yet another person tell me I might need 'new construction' windows because of how my windows are now. Or at least that's how he would want to do it.
Any opinions on those prices and/or windows?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Window Quote Help

#2 Post by masterext »

you do NOT want a pocket sill. You DO want a foam filled chamber.
Being that you are in Ohio, you dont want the shgc too low. .26 - .30 is good in your region. Do not get triple silver, you simply dont need it unless you lived in Arizona or Texas.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

Ask the Polaris vendor for a quote on the UltraWeld.

toddinmn

#4 Post by toddinmn »

I see no advantage going to the UltraWeld, plus it’s more money. I would consider upgrading to the stainless spacer , maybe triple pane.
What was the difference in warranty?
Pricing seems in the ballpark, but there are no details to judge it by.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

depending on options and install details, the Polaris and Sunrise options are both in the ballpark on pretty good windows.

As the other pros alluded to, you really don't want a pocket sill on a DH (outdated, obsolete, problem filled design), nor do you likely want 366 glass in OH unless you have a special set of circumstances. If both of those issue point to the third choice, that is the one that I'd disqualify.
As for Polaris, The Ultraweld is very good. The old Thermalweld was nothing special, but I have yet to see the redesign in detail.

toddinmn

#6 Post by toddinmn »

To be clear, I was assuming the ThermalWeld quote was for the ThermalWeld Plus. The Old ThermalWeld is Now the DynaWeld with a rollformed screen which replaced the ValueSmart.

wildblue

#7 Post by wildblue »

Getting another quote for the UW. I wasn't super impressed with the guy that gave me the first polaris quote, so I'm actually having another contractor that installs the UW come by. And it just says 'Thermalweld' ... so, I'm assuming it's the Plus, but he didn't leave me much else.

The Polaris quote I have now is just their limited lifetime.... I don't think he even mentioned glass or labor. Gilkey's warranty was lifetime (as long as you own / transferable) frames, screens, hardware. $100 trip charge after 5 years. 20 years glass 100% covered even accidental breakage.
Polaris seems to be a good way to go, hopefully this next one will be at a good price and have good installation references... I'm just getting tired of window shopping :)
Thanks for the comments.

wildblue

#8 Post by wildblue »

Well going through yet another quote might have actually paid off, and I think we have a winner. Polaris Ultraweld double pane, lowe/argon, foam filled sash/frame for a bit over $13k installed Up to the triple pane for right at $15k. I feel like I'm close on 'too good to be true' pricing on this one, but it's from a A+ BBB business of 20 years and handful of positive reviews online with no real negatives. Had a pretty good portfolio of previous jobs... so....

I think my only question now is the triple pane upgrade worth it? U value of .23 vs .27 for ~ $1,800. No more tax credits and nothing from my electric company to nudge me to a better number. Swinging some real rough numbers around, it might shave $25 off my heating bill. Little more if we have a brutal Winter and the propane kicks in. Don't really have any noise issues, so maybe just 'comfort level of someone next to the window'

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

For that many windows...its a no-brainer.

toddinmn

#10 Post by toddinmn »

I would ask for pricing on the ThermalWeld plus, I personally like this unit better than the UltraWeld
The pricing you got is excellent perhaps a little low?

wildblue

#11 Post by wildblue »

Windows on Washington wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:33 pm For that many windows...its a no-brainer.
This last quote is for sure a no brainer... I keep waiting for the 'oh we forgot to add x and y.'
You think the cost to go to triple is too? We didn't talk about the spacer, so I think this was just the regular intercept and not stainless. I'm assuming SS has a lower failure rate. The .01 better U seems unimportant.

Windows on Washington

#12 Post by Windows on Washington »

At that point and at that price, you have roof for spacer upgrades if you so desire. That is a crazy low number.

wildblue

#13 Post by wildblue »

I might just go all out then. I'm still waiting for something to be wrong at that price. Will let you know how it goes.
Thanks again for the replies guys - I know some of you probably feel like you're repeating yourselves a lot and us consumers don't always get the right details / info, but your world of windows is way more confusing for us tourists than it is for you :D And it seems way harder than it should be to get information on all the different brands / designs / options / glass.
Appreciate your time to comment.

Windows on Washington

#14 Post by Windows on Washington »

Keep us posted how it turns out.

HomeSealed

#15 Post by HomeSealed »

+1, good advice above... Definitely vet this from every angle as that price is VERY aggressive. Kinda strange to have a 20 yr old business with only a handful of reviews, idk. This is not likely the case, but like me give you an example of how things can be twisted:
Local company just started a year or two ago. Slimy sales guy found a good, installation subcontractor that has been doing it for 20+ years. Talks him into getting in business together. They take the 20 year old sole proprietor sub "business" and change the name etc, and now boom, this brand new retail operation has "20 years in business"... Sad for the consumers that buy it, and frankly sad for the sub installer, as the slimy sales guy will likely run the business into the ground as he has with a few others already... Again, probably not likely that you are dealing with something like that, but a cautionary story about digging deeper when red flags are found.

If everything ends up checking out for you, I'd upgrade to stainless spacer as well as triple pane. No brainers as WoW alluded to particularly when you are starting at such a low price.