Window Quote Help

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Windows on Washington

Re: Window Quote Help

#16 Post by Windows on Washington »

Good catch HomeSealed. We have seen some of that around these parts of late as well.

Definitely vet this guy well. That price is really below levels that are sustainable in our market.

wildblue

#17 Post by wildblue »

Windows on Washington wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:19 pm Keep us posted how it turns out.
Kept meaning to follow up on this ... finally getting around to it.

I ended up getting some references from the guys and making sure they were legit. It's a family business and they've been doing it for a few generations now. There was zero 'gotchas' in the quote and none of the high-pressure sales stuff you sometimes see. I had to ask them to add the stainless spacer. They don't even have a 'salesman' - the guy that did the quote was here every day doing the work.

They did a great job on the install from what I could see. Kept the site clean and so far I'm really happy with their work. Had a little leak with the 2 casement windows after the fact and they came right out and adjusted it (the sash was too low in the frame so the top didn't seal right) Other than that, just a few screens fit too tight for their liking so they had those re-done.

Also really happy with the Polaris windows so far. They look great and operate very well. I'm just thrilled I can see out the windows now - the old ones had so many broken seals it was terrible. The house is also so much more comfortable now. It actually got almost chilly a couple of times - the AC system will cool to dehumidify. I don't think it ever really did that last summer because the AC ran a lot more to cool. Never thought I'd be so happy spending this much $$ on windows :D
The dog doesn't like them - he used to be able to sit in the sun from the windows to warm his old bones. Now he has to sit by the back door or the side lites of the front door.
It's not noisy here by any means, but the triple pane sure does get rid of the little amount we have. We have a few neighbors that like to shoot guns - instead of the 'boom' it's more of like a 'tick' ... it's weird.
Less bugs living in the windows too - added bonus of the slope sill I guess.

I haven't actually seen much of an improvement on cooling costs though. It has been a much warmer / humid summer though and I'm fairly certain I had the thermostat set higher last year.
June of '18 the average temp was 71 and my total electric use was 1096kwh. June of '19 was 68 degrees and 960kwh.
July of '18 the average was 76, usage was 935. '19 was 77 degrees and 1098
August of '18 was 73, usage 977. This year average was 76 and use was 1035
This fits roughly what the AC system reports as it's total as well - about 400 more kwh this year than last. But again it's been hotter, more humid, and more sun. I'm pretty sure it's been set down a bit, I'm letting it over cool to dehumidify, and I'm not doing the 'setbacks' that I did last year either. Overall, it's just much more comfortable in the house. It'll be interesting to see how much it helps this Winter. I literally scraped ice off the *inside* of a window last year and we spend more to heat than to cool.

So that's my update. I got a lot of good info from here so I wanted to make sure I gave some back. Hopefully it helps someone.

Windows on Washington

#18 Post by Windows on Washington »

Sounds great. Thank you for the follow up and for circling back.

HomeSealed

#19 Post by HomeSealed »

+1, great feedback. You should expect the difference to feel more profound in the winter... You may also want to take a look at your attic for insulation and air sealing.

Runabout

#20 Post by Runabout »

Hi Wildblue, if you happen to see this...

I am zeroing in on Thermalweld Plus windows and am in Dayton.

If you are nearby, I would love to hear how you feel about your installer and maybe get a referral to them.

Found solid prices on Provias installed by 2 different 2nd Gen family businesses, but after seeing the windows live and in person, prefer the Thermalweld Plus windows over the Endures.

Many thanks!