Window & Patio Door Quote Compare

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
jimbayshore

Window & Patio Door Quote Compare

#1 Post by jimbayshore »

I'm located just north of Milwaukee and have a house with 15 year old builder grade windows, many of which have seal failures. Over the past few weeks, I worked with local installers that seem to have solid ratings to get a variety of quotes - I'm assuming too many. Every installer tells me something different, so looking for help parsing through the quotes, and after searching for come comparisons between brands, found this site.

I have 34 casements and a 7'w x 8'h patio door to replace. The casements are all relatively large - 28-32"w x58-70"h. White/white with no grids. Many are double pane, and a couple are triple pane (casement/fixed/casement), but for the sake of comparison, I'm counting each piece of glass as a new window. I specified full replacement installs, including nail flanges and replacing/finishing exterior trim with smartside. There are a couple differences in quotes that I tried to callout below, but otherwise everything should be equal.
  • Installer 1: Sunrise Restorations AR-90 (triple pane), $58.5k
  • Installer 2: Pella 250, $42.5k
  • Installer 3: Renewal by Andersen, $47.5k
  • Installer 4: Soft-lite Imperial LS + Marvin Integrity Patio Door, $40k (cedar trim, does not include painting exterior trim)
  • Installer 5: Provia Endure EN600 (triple pane), $35k (no patio door included)
  • Installer 6: Marvin Integrity All-Ultrex, $53.5k
  • Installer 7: Sunrise Ultra U Plus (not restorations - but supposedly identical foam filled frame), $46.5k
My wife likes the slim casing on the Sunrise windows, as they and the Andersen seem to give the most glass area. I haven't seen the Soft-lite in person, as the dealer only has one in the showroom, so debating if we should go see it.

We've all but crossed the Pella off the list, as it doesn't seem to be the same quality as any of the others. Provided the Soft-lite looks and operates well, I'm leaning towards Installer #4, but would welcome input on the Sunrise windows from Installer 7, or any other thoughts.

Thanks,
Jim

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Window & Patio Door Quote Compare

#2 Post by masterext »

I notice you are in Wisconisn. I know you already have a bunch of quotes but i strongly suggest contacting Home Sealed Exteriors. The owner Brandon is the most knowledgeable window pro i ever talked to and he is also a very nice guy who runs a great business. He also offers window products that are on par and perhaps better than what you have seen.
Their big advantage is with their installation methods. They are the best in that regard.

randy

#3 Post by randy »

I would recommend contacting HomeSealed as well. Not only does he offer some of the best products in the industry, he installs them all using methods that far exceed the average contractor. HomeSealed enjoys a stellar reputation in the industry, and you’ll find them to be among the most knowledgeable of all the companies you’ve met with so far.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Step 1: Call HomeSealed

jimbayshore

#5 Post by jimbayshore »

Thanks for the feedback - I'll try giving them a call.

Any opinions on the other windows, or you're all aligned that the product from homesealed (appears to be Okna from what I read on the forum) is better than all the other quotes?

randy

#6 Post by randy »

Sunrise Restorations - very good window, but not on par with Soft-lite or Okna
Pella 250 - wouldn’t recommend it
Renewal by Andersen - good looking window, but subpar performance and overpriced
Soft-lite Imperial LS - best of the windows you’ve had quoted, a great window
Provia Endure EN600 - no personal experience with it, but Provia has a good reputation
Marvin Integrity All-Ultrex - narrow profile is popular, but the window can be a bit flimsy
Sunrise - stick with the Vanguard or Restorations lines if you go with this manufacturer

The reason we’re all recommending HomeSealed is that installation is just as critical as choosing the right window, and they do it very well. On top of that, Okna’s the most comparable window to the best you’ve seen (Soft-lite).

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

In the car world (i.e. horsepower), we say there is no "Replacement for Displacement".

In the exteriors world, installation makes the install. Thankfully, HomeSealed is going to have the best in class products along with the installations.