Help with Window Replacement- NE Ohio

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
mpcle

Help with Window Replacement- NE Ohio

#1 Post by mpcle »

Hi all, I'm seeking some advice on the estimates I've received so far for vinyl window replacement. I'm located in Northeast Ohio. I have had 9 companies come out.

We are looking for 14 double hung vinyl windows with grids. Two are over 100 UI and those same two need the bottom sash tempered.

Here is what I have so far-

Integrity Windows- Polaris Thermalweld Plus at $7800

EZ Windows- Interstate 6800 at $7400 ($6900 w/o grids on back windows)
Polaris Ultraweld at $7100 ($6850 w/o grids on back windows)

Raetrent Remodeling- Alside Mezzo at $6279

Solar Windows- Sunrise at $8682
Sunrise Essentials at $7280

Window Universe- Okna 600 at $9181

Window Depot- Thermal Industries 9500 at $8890

Window Depot and Solar Windows sell just about any window and will beat comparable window pricing. Window Universe only sells the Okna 600 and will price match 110% to comparable windows. These three companies are larger and have been around longer than the others.

All of these companies have A+ ratings from the BBB, 5 star reviews on Google, 5 stars on Angie's list.

Can anyone tell me which of these quotes seem the strongest for quality and value? Anyone have experience with or thoughts on Interstate windows? Which quotes should I throw out?

Thank you in advance!

Windows on Washington

Re: Help with Window Replacement- NE Ohio

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Scrap the Essentials quote.

Outside of that, the Okna, Polaris, and regular Sunrise option are all solid choices. How did the installers stack up?

Ricknez

#3 Post by Ricknez »

I would immediately scrap the sunrise “ essentials” and the alside mezzo. The Okna 600 will be the best performer and in my opinion the best looking followed by the sunrise ( not essentials).

mpcle

#4 Post by mpcle »

What should I be looking for with the installers? I believe all of these companies use employee installers and not sub contractors.

I met with Solar Windows again yesterday, they said they could match the Polaris Ultraweld price and dropped the Sunrise (standard) to $7000 w/o grids on the back of the house. I think I prefer the appearance of the Sunrise. They also cautioned that there may be a remodel of the Polaris in the next couple years.

Which is a better window, the Polaris Ultraweld or the Sunrise?

I reached out to Window Depot and Window Universe to see if they could match or provide equivalent estimates. So we will see what they say.

I'm hesitant on the EZ Windows and Raetrent Remodeling companies as they are smaller (one man operations). The others are larger companies that have been around longer.

Ricknez

#5 Post by Ricknez »

In terms of looks, i prefer okna 600 and sunrise over polaris. The okna 600 also has structural reinforcement.. ask if the sunrise series has reinforcement. I would still prefer sunrise over polaris although the polaris is a good window just way too bulky.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

I mostly agree with the other pros. The only thing I'd differ on a little bit is the Sunrise double hung. They make an excellent casement and sliding door, but the double hung is not super stout, although it does look nice.

The Polaris UW is the opposite where its looks are very utilitarian and somewhat dated, although it does perform well. I've heard some Polaris guys actually prefer the new Thermalweld Plus over it, and I do think that a redesign of the UW may be in the offing somewhat soon.

For me, the Okna 600 is the choice that blends the looks and performance here, so if that dealer is willing to get their price inline with the others and you like their overall package, it would be my choice.... You really wouldn't go wrong with either Polaris option though, and you could definitely do worse than the Sunrise if installed well. If you strongly favor one of those dealers that should be given some weight as well...

Ricknez

#7 Post by Ricknez »

Polaris ultra weld is a very bulky window. The sunrise casement is very solid.