Sliding vs Hinged Patio Doors

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
ak_

Sliding vs Hinged Patio Doors

#1 Post by ak_ »

I have been following this forum for quite a while. In the near future I'll replace 27 windows likely with some Okna model (without good advice I'd have ended up with either Andersen, Pella or some other junk). That was a great learning, but doesn't help much on my immediate problem.

We have a patio door that is in critical condition (last winter it was sealed with calk due to wind tunnel like air infiltration). Currently we have a sliding door, but we are strongly considering to replace it with a hinged door.

Also from this forum I learned that sliding doors have a high affinity with windows, so Okna would be a good choice for sliding. But what about hinged doors? Who are the leading players? What are PROS and CONS of hinged vs sliding?

Who are reputable dealers/installers in Northwestern NJ (Randolph) area?

Delaware Mike

Re: Sliding vs Hinged Patio Doors

#2 Post by Delaware Mike »

For hinged patio doors I like ProVia and HMI. A quality hinged patio door unit pre-finished with screen cost me a dealer more than double what a quality vinyl patio slider does material wise. It also takes a little more time to install. Hinged patio doors need a little more interior room for the active door to swing/operate unlike a slider. The sill area on a slider like that of of the OKNA Elegante is designed to be super air tight, but in return has a taller interior frame pocket dam, thus it's a little taller to step over if one is converting from a traditional door aluminum threshold and riser which gives a lower profile (potential trip hazard with seniors). A Sunrise slider has a lower profile sill but is a tad bid less tight on the air.

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

For double active French hinged I like AW 400 series for the quality, AI, warranty and price point. It is a wood door on the inside, it can come prepainted white. If you move up to the A series you can get it prestained.
theWindowNerd.com

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#4 Post by masterext »

Ak
for a sliding patio door i have had a lot of success with Okna, especially with the climate here in New Jersey. my customers really seem to like the okna sliding door. Its built very well and its very air tight.
as far as hinged, I like HMI Doors. HMI is very similar to provia but usually with a better price point. We just installed an hmi hinged patio door for a customer and they really like how it operates. They had an andersen and had nothing but problems with it ( wood rot and operability issues). I actually have pictures of the original andersen.
HMI comes pre finished with a pre finished jamb and brickmould. I prefer the quality and operability of both HMI and Provia over anything made by andersen.
i have had Hmi in my own home in new jersey for over 10 years and it still operates like new.

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I am still not a fan of entry doors for hinged french doors, particularly if they are AP( double active). With out multi point locks the don't do well. If you want the lowest cost and are not afraid of painting it yourself then you can do Therma Tru with multi point lock.
You have to figure out what things are most important to you.

Ricknez

#6 Post by Ricknez »

I agree regarding hmi doors or provia, they both make excellent hinged doors. they also come with an option of a sliding screen.
therma tru is not something i would install as i dont think its made all that well. its more of a basic contractor type door.
most higher end doors come pre finished. go with fiberglass for hinged, not wood unless you want issues down the road.

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

Ak, in your location you may be in the service area of AGM Windows & Door. I believe that they carry both Okna and HMI, I'm sure that Paul over there could help you decide which option would be best for your home. Great company, and both of those products are great at what they do, you just need to work through whether hinged or sliding would be best for your needs.

TheWindowNerd

#8 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Most Therma Tru fabricators offer prefinish both in stain and paint. I do think that getting the slabs at minimum prefinished is best as the are dried and do not stick to the weatherstripping.
But if someone has the talent and wants a lower cost by doing the finishing themselves, that is fine. I just had a customer like that. For the $300 that to have a single slab painted, they decided to DIY the finishing.

Ricknez

#9 Post by Ricknez »

painting a door never looks nearly as good as it does when it comes pre finished, i dont care who paints it.
therma tru is not something i would recommend especially if HMI Doors or Provia is available. therma tru is a budget type door in my opinion.

ak_

#10 Post by ak_ »

Thanks all for your insights. I'm definitively getting in contact with AGM.

One last question. What usually lasts longer, hinged or sliding? (sorry, I know it is a trick question)

TheWindowNerd

#11 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I think with a little maitance both have similar functional life spans.

I would not call a correctly designed and prefinished ThermaTru door a butget door.
We are doing a split finish TT craftsman smooth fiberglass( why can't HMI make that), full view decorative side lights
Clad frame ~ $6 K.

Ricknez

#12 Post by Ricknez »

both hmi and provia make an air tight door. that said, a high end sliding door( Okna ) may be a tad more air tight.
technically a slider has less of a chance of having issues but we are talking HMI/ provia so you are good.

TheWindowNerd

#13 Post by TheWindowNerd »

A sliding glass door is easier to install than a french door.
A french door AP/PA has to be in a single plane, not as big an issue with sliders.

toddinmn

#14 Post by toddinmn »

The hinged doors will have a larger clear opening , especially if both panels operate. This can be a. Issue sometimes. Sliding doors have a higher sill but this can often be lowered With a little additional work. The air infiltration rates are close but I see the Okna coming in higher at 0.06 vs 0.05 on the Pro-Via and 0.01 on the the Andersen 400 frenchwood 2 panel hinged.

TheWindowNerd

#15 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I have an AW 400 AP in my house, it is air tight.
Lots of people have trouble with MPL.