Help! window replacement underway serious issues

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
mpcle

Help! window replacement underway serious issues

#1 Post by mpcle »

Hi all... I am having my windows replaced and thought I had done a decent job reviewing the company I went with. Tomorrow will be day 4 of the company attempting to install these windows and I have serious concerns. I don't know where to go from here.

I got 14 double hung, Sunrise standard windows. I have aluminum siding and the windows that were original were aluminum as well. There was no trim around the original windows on the outside of the house.

Installer came out and didn't remove the stops before install. The windows seem to be quite far out. Maybe an inch and a half? I have pictures but they seem to be too large to upload. There is a lot of caulk connecting the siding and windows. There is no trim of any sort around the window. I pointed out that this looks terrible and something isn't right. Installer said this was how the original windows were so they are matching that. I called the owner, owner said they can do a brick mold to hide the caulk or completely redo it. I'm at a loss here as I don't do this kind of work. Not to mention our siding got completely cut in some areas, and some areas are really scraped up.

I'm not sure what the fix is here, any ideas?

Delaware Mike

Re: Help! window replacement underway serious issues

#2 Post by Delaware Mike »

The off-set of the flanged aluminum windows to the interior frame face will be a less that that of even a non-flanged vinyl product, thus the outside of the vinyl window will stick out more proud than what you're used to seeing. This is assuming that that butted to the jamb and stool returns. To push in in farther the mechanics would have to trim back all of the sheetrock or wood jamb returns and stool at quite a bit of time and labor. If they downsized the new windows, they then have to "slip" the unit into the opening pocket and returns. Without pictures one can tell what they have done. We are performing the same install right now. I've had to make precision cut backs with a grinder to not over-cut the aluminum siding after scribing the aluminum siding for the new trim boards that will be cladded with aluminum and sealed with 3/8" bead of premium exterior sealant which is a completely different look than what the existing windows looked like.

It would have been in the salesman best interests to show detailed before, during, and after photos of an install very similar to your project to ease your concerns and best explain the process prior to signing paperwork, well at least that's how I do it to keep myself and homeowners relationship healthy.

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Mike, most salesman do not have enough technical knowledge to do that.
But the measuring guy could.
Again not the norm for most companies to be so detailed.

mpcle

#4 Post by mpcle »

I'm still not able to post these images because they're too large, I put them in an album on here-

http://s1380.photobucket.com/user/mpcle/library/

It looks like there was only about an inch of wood that they attached the window to without moving the stops.

They rescheduled to tomorrow because it's raining here. But the same installer is not coming out and the owner will be there.

The salesperson that originally came out (twice) said they would remove the stops, cut back the dry wall, foam around the window, add cladding outside and then caulk. There was a different guy that came out to do the final measurements and he was inside and outside.

From talking with the owner today, the installer was supposed to do a full window with us from start to finish to okay the look/ finish of the window. But that didn't happen. At no point did anyone say that our set up was different or an issue. We live in a development where all the houses look the same and most of our neighbors have had their windows done. No one else's windows look like this.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#5 Post by masterext »

Whenever you get windows installed, there can always be some degree of variability in terms of install or exterior trim among different homes in the same area.
Some homeowners expect their windows, especially the exterior to look exactly like their neighbors and sometimes, for whatever reason, its not realistic. That being said, the company you chose seems to be on top of things.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

What kind of window did they take out?

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

Looks like they did an "express" type of installation, and with the new frame depth being greater than previous. This has the window sitting proud of the siding...

At this point, your best bet is to meet with the management and express your concerns. It sounds so far like they are willing to move/reinstall the windows, which is a good sign. Keep us updated.

TheWindowNerd

#8 Post by TheWindowNerd »

How is it going?
Do you have a picture of what they did on the interior?
On the exterior one thing that stood out to me was the wave of the sill area on the siding. Not sure if they removed sill trim or not, but could have added it to straighten that course of siding junction with the window sill.
Were the original windows J channeled? That too could have been done to lessen the huge caulk beads.

mpcle

#9 Post by mpcle »

We are on day 5 of having the windows replaced. A different crew of guys came out with the owner and finished installing the last window. They then went back and readjusted one of the front windows that wouldn't lock and looked off.

They ended up cutting about an inch off of the aluminum siding around the windows then framing some aluminum coil all the way around the windows. They replaced the cut up siding below the front window.

It definitely looks more finished. I posted updated pictures in the photo bucket link above, including an interior picture. The only complete photo I had, is one of the front windows that had rotten fypons that we are going to add decoration to. So that part looks funny. There is still caulk running down along the siding, but definitely not as thick.

Our original windows were aluminum, from 1976, there was no jchannel originally. Just thick caulk that was painted over, but they were set flush with the house so it wasn't as noticable. I'll post more pictures when it's done. They are still working right now.

From what I've gathered from the company owner, the first installer was supposed to do a pilot window with us to get our approval. I'm thinking this installer is not one of their employees but maybe a subcontractor. Which is disappointing because having employee installers was what had sold me on this company in the first place.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#10 Post by masterext »

I would be more focused on the fact that the owner fixed the problem and the windows look good. The bottom line is the results which seem to look very good.

TheWindowNerd

#11 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Well that looks a lot better.
I would guess that your original windows were not flush with the high point of the siding, They were probably 1/4" or so proud, you want that for a caulking ledge. That along with seeing bright new white is a huge difference.