Looking for noise suppression

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
FrankieD

Looking for noise suppression

#1 Post by FrankieD »

I just found this discussion board and have searched the earlier postings and don't find anything that quite fits our situation. Definitely would appreciate input by those more knowledgeable as we look into our options.

We are in So CA, with our rear windows facing south/southwestern so they get afternoon sun. House is just above a main freeway, up on a hill over it with only the hillside and a side street between us and the freeway. The Pacific Ocean is 1/4 mile beyond the freeway, so property is a view property. House was built in 1989.

We are interested in replacing all windows facing the freeway. My main concern is noise suppression, above all else. (I'm tired of hearing the freeway in the morning, as well as the Harleys!) We still need good heat insulation as well and of course want as clear a view as possible.

I have had two companies come out and their window choice is quite different. One is offering Simonton " Lami-Glass package, the outer pane is 1/8" thick double strength Glass (or 4/32") while the inner pane is also 1/8" glass with 3/32" Laminate over the top of this pane making the total inner glass now 7/32" overall" while the other company is quoting a Simonton 7300 Series Daylight Max acoustical sound package 1/8 "- 3/16".

Given my concerns about superior sound control, if these are both similar in how they will be installed (nail in), are one of these significantly better than the other??

Or are there other options that we should be considering?

Thanks in advance,

frank D

Windows on Washington

Re: Looking for noise suppression

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Are the IGUs the same overall thickness. The low frequency drone of the traffic usually takes a bit of extra airspace to help with.

Can they flip that IGU and put the laminated glass light on the outside facing lite?

FrankieD

#3 Post by FrankieD »

Thanks for responding, WoW. Unfortunately, your question may be in a totally different language for me! Just what are IGU's??

What I have been led to believe is that when there is a size discrepancy, that the thicker glass would be on the outside with the thinner on the interior size.

I thought that it would be better to have a space between those panes, yet it appears that the two 1/8 inch glasses with the laminate in between may not have such a space.

Clearly this second option will be much thicker and heavier. I just don't know whether thicker and heavier with a laminate in between is better than the 3/16 and 1/8 sound package with the gap/gas in between given our desire to eliminate noise as much as possible.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

IGU = Insulated Glass Unit (i.e. the double pane glass unit...just the glass).

Laminated glass does help. I just find that the low frequency drone of traffic is the hardest to get out. If you are more concerned about the motorcycles, that would be higher frequency and would be well addressed by the laminated glass.

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Do either have STC ratings.
What is the spacer system.
What is the AL?