Is this a good install??

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
kellsbells515

Is this a good install??

#1 Post by kellsbells515 »

Whelp. This is not where I was hoping to be when I started this journey over a year ago! Our 30+ year old wood windows are rapidly rotting, so last summer we started researching and getting quotes. I won’t bore you with the whole saga, but suffice it to say, we got numerous estimates on a variety of brands, and after finding this site, and thoroughly scrubbing it, decided on Soft-Lite Elements, triple pane casements (we’re in MN). Following the advice here, we researched the few companies in our area who installed Soft-Lites and found a small company who’s been in business for 40+ years and has good reviews.

Our install started yesterday, finished today, and we are not pleased (and we’re not hard to please!). I plan to contact the company, and we haven’t had the city inspector out yet, but I’m hoping you can let us know if we’re justified, or if the install is on par with industry standards.

Hopefully I can attach multiple pictures to one post so you can see the install job, as I’m not sure I can fully explain it, but I will try with a list of our issues:

1. Our largest window is essentially 3 units - a lower unit with a right and left casement and stationary middle piece, topped by a rectangular transom piece, topped by a half round (with a bit of space between the half round and lower unit) - I’m also attaching a before photo of the uni for reference:
1.a. install looks unfinished, and poorly done, especially on the half round on the outside.
1.2. the drip guard was not replaced and is dented.
1.3. The space between the drip guard and the window was unfinished wood that was painted
1.4.The accordion folds right next to the window - what is this???
1.5 The vinyl connector piece between the half round and the lower window is fine, but there’s a gap on the right side at the bottom of the round window and top of the rectangle window.
1.6 On the far left side on the very top there’s a gap right underneath the drip guard

2. Overall caulking was not done consistently or professionally

3. All 4 of the locking mechanisms are scratched (on the inside)

4. There are scratches and/or defects in the interior corners of the windows

5. Two of the five screens have holes

6. They didn’t clean the inside or outside of the windows, to include black streaks on the inside of the windows and white scratches on the trim (low on the priority list but I’m curious what’s standard)

Basically I’m hoping the professionals, whom I relied on so heavily during my research, can look at these photos and let me know what you think, because right now, what were homeowners extremely excited and optimistic that they’d found the company to complete the rest of their approx $80K window replacements, has quickly soured.

I appreciate your time not just on this post (fingers crossed) but on this whole forum!

Edit: it looks like the photos are too large so I"ll try to add them in the comments

kellsbells515

Re: Is this a good install??

#2 Post by kellsbells515 »

before.PNG
(204.04 KiB) Not downloaded yet

kellsbells515

#3 Post by kellsbells515 »

3 exterior photos
Attachments
IMG_3208.JPG
(25 KiB) Not downloaded yet
IMG_3207.JPG
(30.72 KiB) Not downloaded yet
IMG_3206.JPG
(24.68 KiB) Not downloaded yet

kellsbells515

#4 Post by kellsbells515 »

More photos
Attachments
IMG_3204.JPG
(22.41 KiB) Not downloaded yet
IMG_3210.JPG
(29.46 KiB) Not downloaded yet
IMG_3209.JPG
(31.49 KiB) Not downloaded yet

kellsbells515

#5 Post by kellsbells515 »

Interior photos. Not sure if this is to be expected with Soft-Lites, or any vinyl window.
Attachments
IMG_3224.JPG
(31.23 KiB) Not downloaded yet
IMG_3221.JPG
(30.43 KiB) Not downloaded yet
IMG_3225.JPG
(33.08 KiB) Not downloaded yet

kellsbells515

#6 Post by kellsbells515 »

Two more interior photos.
Attachments
IMG_3226.JPG
(28.04 KiB) Not downloaded yet
IMG_3217.JPG
(35.02 KiB) Not downloaded yet

toddinmn

#7 Post by toddinmn »

The out side does not look good.
The inside weld welds should have been cleaned and touched up.
Have you contacted the company yet?

kellsbells515

#8 Post by kellsbells515 »

Todd, thank you. And yes, my husband contacted them this morning and is setting up a time to meet. Always good to have unbiased professional opinions from here!

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. I think that there are some areas for improvement on the exterior trim and caulking. On the interior window shots, as Todd said that could be cleaner, but also be careful not to have unrealistic expectations on that. The welds won't all be perfect, but they should be cleaner and hit with some touch up paint. That should really happen at the factory, but in this case the installer or a factory rep will have to do it on site.

kellsbells515

#10 Post by kellsbells515 »

toddinmn wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:59 am The out side does not look good.
The inside weld welds should have been cleaned and touched up.
Have you contacted the company yet?
Todd, wondering if you can help me "talk the talk" with the installer. Our main/last issue (they came out and replaced hardware, recaulked outside) is the large window with the half round on the top. And specifically the metal (I assume) piece on the very top that looks it's been through several hail storms. Walking around our neighborhood we see other half rounds that look neat and clean (possibly surrounded by trim).

The last conversation my husband had with the lead guy on Monday he told my husband he'd have to talk to the owner as he didn't know what they'd be able to do as far as the codes. (He also said we'd hear back by COB Monday and it's now Wednesday). We're in MN too, in the NW twin cities suburbs. Any help would be appreciated as we REALLY just want to be done with this and have our windows looking nice! Thanks in advance.

HomeSealed

#11 Post by HomeSealed »

Do you have an updated pic or two of that area? ... It sounds like you may be talking about the head flashing over that window. If that is the case, it would be improper to cap over that (even though it would look nicer). It would disrupt the drainage plane and potentially lead to water leaks as that piece extends up behind the siding. That said, again a pic showing exactly what you mean would be beneficial to confirm the component that you are concerned about.

How did the other fixes go?

kellsbells515

#12 Post by kellsbells515 »

HomeSealed wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:29 pm Do you have an updated pic or two of that area? ... It sounds like you may be talking about the head flashing over that window. If that is the case, it would be improper to cap over that (even though it would look nicer). It would disrupt the drainage plane and potentially lead to water leaks as that piece extends up behind the siding. That said, again a pic showing exactly what you mean would be beneficial to confirm the component that you are concerned about.

How did the other fixes go?
Thanks Homesealed - that makes sense and is probably what he’s referring to. The other fixes were fine - not great, but livable. I had trouble uploading pics last time so we’ll see if it works better from my phone - I’ll post them next so I don’t lose this. They were taken after they were out to do repairs and as you can see nothing changed.

Our concerns are the very top metal piece and how it’s dented. Also at the bottom where the edges of the round window (the outside edges) meet the top of the window below it there’s a gap and it looks terrible (maybe the metal pieces aren’t supposed to touch?).

If we were your clients, what solution(s) would you propose? Would you be happy if this install was on your house?

Thanks again for the input and this forum - it’s much appreciated and helpful!

kellsbells515

#13 Post by kellsbells515 »

pictures
Attachments
thumbnail_image3.jpg
(23.9 KiB) Not downloaded yet
thumbnail_image2.jpg
(26.12 KiB) Not downloaded yet
thumbnail_image1.jpg
(24.28 KiB) Not downloaded yet

kellsbells515

#14 Post by kellsbells515 »

one more - close up
Attachments
thumbnail_image4.jpg
(22.92 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Windows on Washington

#15 Post by Windows on Washington »

I am guessing that drip cap flashing was already there and part of the siding. In that case, the install, far as I can tell from the pictures, looks OK.