Replacement Windows for Urban Noise in SoCal

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
hakalau88

Replacement Windows for Urban Noise in SoCal

#1 Post by hakalau88 »

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum and so happy to find it! I've been enjoying many of the topics on replacement windows, thank you.

I need some advice about noise mitigation. My home has its original 1986 single-pane aluminum windows, and they are terrible! I live between a freeway, a train line, and a major local street; and the noise is ever-present at both high and low frequencies. Also, my neighbors are leaf-blowing fanatics. Worse, I am a teacher working from home until at least the end of the year.

What replacement windows are best for my situation?

A local hardware store guy suggested double pane with 1/4" lami over 1/4 lami with an STC of at least 40. Another contractor suggested 7/32 lami over 1/16 lami with low E and argon and an STC of 35-37. Finally, a friend suggested Milgard's Quiet Line. The house has masonry siding.

All together, I have 13 windows and 1 patio door, and unfortunately, a tight budget on a teacher's salary of less than $15K installed.

I am new to window replacement and appreciate any guidance.

Thank you!

Windows on Washington

Re: Replacement Windows for Urban Noise in SoCal

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Anything in the middle to high 30's is going to be such an improvement, you are going to be over the moon with the performance.

The QuietLine is a great window, but its pretty bulky and not cheap. Honestly, the STC of 40 is a great number and will be probably a 4X improvement over what you have now.