Okna 500 dx estimate

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
HomeSealed

Re: Okna 500 dx estimate

#61 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. I'd add that there is some fudge in the way that the seals are designed so being slightly out of square probably won't affect performance (locking smoothly is a fair indicator), however it would be best to get corrected.

indy500

#62 Post by indy500 »

Thank you, HomeSealed!

The greatest challenge is to get the installers back. I have not been successful so far. They keep promising and never schedule. After a year of promises I guess I have to pay for the job that needed to be done in the first place.

indy500

#63 Post by indy500 »

HomeSealed, my last question. :)

Is it possible to have mitered corners on the coil trim? The installer is coming to the house to do the work next week and in the discussion of work that needs to be done, he mentioned that mitered corners are not recommended. Is it true?

Thank you!

HomeSealed

#64 Post by HomeSealed »

Its not uncommon to have mitered trim on the top, not as much on the bottom/sill. Most commonly (at least in this area), a brickmold bend gets mitered top corners where flat trim like yours is cut square. Your installer may be concerned about whatever the trim is being installed over, where he can place a nail, etc.

So in summary, yes mitered corners are possible, however your installer's concerns may also be valid.

On the positive side, it sounds like you have had success getting the installer back out which is a positive development.

indy500

#65 Post by indy500 »

Thank you, HomeSeled!
I hope to have this finished and move to the next project.

Delaware Mike

#66 Post by Delaware Mike »

The only time we don't tend to perform aluminum trim coil mitering of the head cap is on trim board capping in which the top board face width really exceed the width of the leg trim boards like in historic homes. We have older cedar clap board sided homes in my area with lot's of butt joints to all of the wood trim with crown heads. I've personally found if you have modern 2" brickmold trim boards around windows I prefer mitered heads. Some of the guys out there performing this work tend be speed oriented only and don't understand basic building science and don't blind caulk the back side of the metal cap to glue miters and prevent potential water intrusion at the bottom of the miter joint potentially if a proper miter cut isn't performed along with good caulking.

TheWindowNerd

#67 Post by TheWindowNerd »

We also back caulk mitered heads, like DE Mike.