Okna 500 dx estimate

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Delaware Mike

Re: Okna 500 dx estimate

#16 Post by Delaware Mike »

If the OKNA 500dx is a non-flanged replacement window it will be sized as a "slip" to fit in between your sheetrock jamb returns, thus the reason for the loss of the jamb return which is now housed by the insert/replacement window and most blind brackets up in the head return don't have enough "meat" to mount to. If a pro puts in a flanged OKNA 550dx it would be sized exactly the same as the window being removed and the installers most likely would have to only remove at most 5/16" to 3/8" of sheetrock, wood jamb extension, plus a wood stool rip or cut in place. That's how I do it, but I'm stubborn and like to make things hard for myself. We have never not been able to reinstall the blind brackets. We don't do this for the brick veneers as the cut back isn't needed nor is a slip method.

indy500

#17 Post by indy500 »

Mike, I wish you were closer to Indiana. :-) Thank you for detailed explanation. Should I discuss installation process or fully trust the installer?

HomeSealed

#18 Post by HomeSealed »

Neither of the installs described are wrong, just different. The one that your contractor is explaining is the most common in this scenario. Mike's install is probably the best, most comprehensive way to do it, but you would see a significant increase in the price for that. At the end of the day its really up to you to weigh the pros and cons of that, however if you are already signed up with that contractor and the window order is placed, it would be too late to reconsider. A lot of companies only offer one type of install or the other.

indy500

#19 Post by indy500 »

I have not signed yet, have to go to the company's office to sign, request written warranties as recommended and pay.
This forum was very helpful in making decision on window brand. Thanks to all of you!

HomeSealed

#20 Post by HomeSealed »

I know that I speak for all when I say that we are happy to help. :D

I'd suggest discussing the install details and make sure that you get those in writing as well when you meet to sign the contract.

indy500

#21 Post by indy500 »

Question to HomeSealed:

What problems could develop within 5 years after window installation?
Did you experience or know any issues with Okna 500 windows?

Thank you!

Windows on Washington

#22 Post by Windows on Washington »

Honestly, if its done right, you shouldn't have ANY issues. We have almost 20 years of installs right now and I can count on one hand (2 fingers actually) the number is issues that were defects of workmanship or product.

indy500

#23 Post by indy500 »

I just try to finalize all details before committing to the project. The other issue is the drywall return around windows is 3 inch now so it the depth of the builders grade window. Okna 500 unit is 4 inch depth and I would lose an inch around the window. I would not be able to reinstall the same blinds inside mount as the bracket size is 2.5.
I'd have to replace 7 blinds with narrower bracket if it is available or order custom made which adds to the total project cost. Is there any other window brand that would have slightly narrower depth with similar ratings?
I am not considering outside mount.

Thank you,

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#24 Post by masterext »

Virtually all replacement windows are now that depth.

Delaware Mike

#25 Post by Delaware Mike »

All of these vinyl replacement/inserts are 3.25" in jamb depth. I've never seen one other than shoddy single-hung flanged new construction or some sort of weird mobile home window not 3.25".

HomeSealed

#26 Post by HomeSealed »

indy500 wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:42 pm Question to HomeSealed:

What problems could develop within 5 years after window installation?
Did you experience or know any issues with Okna 500 windows?

Thank you!
As far as installation, its not uncommon for water leaks to show up later on down the road, especially from subpar installs that depend on only caulk to keep the opening water-tight. There are other things as well, trim work poorly done that pops loose, an incorrectly placed screw through the sill introducing water into your wall, exterior trim lapped over the drip cap instead of under it, and other things of that nature. A quality installation should present none of these issues, but a low cost install may be "the gift that keeps on giving" years later.

indy500

#27 Post by indy500 »

Well, the installation of all 9 Okna 500 DX windows were done yesterday by Mr. Window company.
I find these windows very good looking especially from inside. The only thing I did not like is the aluminum coil around the trim and I would like pros input on caulking and coil trim ends.
Also, what are the gaps on the top of the windows? the installers did not bother to answer my question.
Those windows installed in the brick openings are done well. The most challenging window was this side by side on the front.
The trim around this window was not replaced as my contractor is behind on everything. The installer told me this aluminum coil trim can be popped out for trim replacement and then put back with the caulk.
I wonder if the entire aluminum trim can be eliminated and replaced with cellular PVC trim products?
I appreciate your input and advice.
Attached are some pictures. Thank you.
Attachments
top corner of the window.JPG
(55.67 KiB) Not downloaded yet
coil.JPG
(95.22 KiB) Not downloaded yet

indy500

#28 Post by indy500 »

some more
Attachments
from inside.JPG
(80.93 KiB) Not downloaded yet
whole window.JPG
(104.04 KiB) Not downloaded yet

HomeSealed

#29 Post by HomeSealed »

Glad to hear that you are liking the windows!

As for your questions:

- The gap on the inside jamb is just the balance cover. That can be slid up.
- Regarding the trim on the twin unit, are you referring to the cedar boards? Is there a plan in place to come back and replace that? I'd be surprised if they can reuse that aluminum at that point if its been caulked, but not impossible I suppose.
- As far as needing aluminum on the exterior, the way it was done is pretty conventional. If the old frames were left in then that is covering it and there really aren't many other choices. If the frame came out, conceivably that could be replaced on the face by a trim board of some sort, but aluminum would still be needed for the return back to the window.
- Hard to comment too directly on the quality of the trim and caulk based on those pics. Couple things I might do differently, the sill piece looks a little weird, but no major red flags or anything like that.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#30 Post by masterext »

agree. no red flags.
as far as you wanting pvc trim board; unless that was specified in the contract there is no way a company would do that. If you want it, not only would the company have to agree to it, they would need to charge you for it and it is very expensive.I would keep what you have.