Okna 500 dx estimate

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
indy500

Okna 500 dx estimate

#1 Post by indy500 »

I need pros advice on the quote I received from Mr. Window dealer in Indianapolis.
I am replacing two side by side windows in builders grade home.

1. Install Two (2) custom-manufactured OKNA 500DX Series Deluxe Insul-Tech Double Hung Windows to the home. Windows to be Interior White and Exterior White with welded frame and sash, and extra strength double insulated energy package glass, which includes 7/8” insulated Heat-Seal glass with Low E High-performance Argon gas, multi-layer warm edge spacer, foam filled insulated extrusions. All Windows will have double cam locks, dual vent latches, and Half Screens and Flat Grids.
2. Insulate with spray foam insulation around new windows. Cover all exterior window casing and sills in matching aluminum and silicone seal. 3. Use floor protection while working. Clean-up and haul away all job debris.
$ 1,536.00
Fall Discount Until 10/15/2020 $ - 200.00
$ 1,336.00 Tax Incl

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Okna 500 dx estimate

#2 Post by masterext »

That is extremely cheap especially since its only 2 windows.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

Couldn't touch it for that number with that size project right now. We are stretched so thin, we have to keep it to a 5 window minimum.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

Same here.

What advice are you looking for indy500?

Is it a very good window? Yes

Is the price good? I'd say almost too good to be true, 3 pros have now thought the same.

Is the dealer reputable? Not sure, check them out. Google reviews, angie's list, etc. On one hand they offer a good product which is a good sign, on the other hand the pricing is a little scary on the low side for that scope. If its a very small company with little overhead, that could explain some of it.

indy500

#5 Post by indy500 »

Thanks to all professional advice!
I checked reviews of that dealer and they are good. Could you recommend other company that serves Indianapolis area?
Also, I am residing the gable area of the house. Should siding be installed first and windows after?
There is a window trim that must be replaced because of the rot issue.

Thank you!

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#6 Post by masterext »

Windows first.

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

Agree with above, windows first.

As far as the dealer, if they are an established company with good reviews, you should be in good shape. Pricing still sounds crazy, but who knows.

indy500

#8 Post by indy500 »

Do window grids influence window performance numbers? Is it better to choose windows with grids or without?

Thanks

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

Slightly, but the minimal impact is usually outweighed by the necessity or desire for the look of grids.

HomeSealed

#10 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. They'll affect the VT more than anything as they reduce the amount of light coming through, but in terms of overall energy efficiency (U value primarily) that difference is too small to even be measured. If you like or need grids for the aesthetics, don't think twice about it.

fridge2020

#11 Post by fridge2020 »

That pricing is fake news. Either they are going to come up with some hidden or forgotten charges, or you are gonna get the taillight warranty and a crappy install

indy500

#12 Post by indy500 »

I asked to price all windows replacement and the installer has a very good reputation.
Decided to go without grids. I don't know why pricing is low. Should I ask about warranty in written form? Installer said labor is covered for a year and if anything happens to the window he'd fix the issues. It is the first time I deal with window replacement and would appreciate advice on the whole process and what I should expect. I welcome the price and want to sign the contract. Installation probably will be done in January in cold weather.

Thank you.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Install Nine (9) custom-manufactured OKNA 500DX Series Deluxe Insul-Tech
Double Hung Windows to the home. Windows to be Interior White and Exterior
White with welded frame and sash, and extra strength double insulated energy
package glass, which includes 7/8” insulated Heat-Seal glass with Low E High performance
Argon gas, multi-layer warm edge spacer, foam filled insulated
extrusions. All Windows will have double cam locks, dual vent latches, and Half
Screens and No Grids.

2. Insulate with spray foam insulation around new windows. Cover all exterior
window casing and sills in matching aluminum and silicone seal.

$ 5,922.00[/b] Tax Incl

HomeSealed

#13 Post by HomeSealed »

Some may disagree with me, but personally I'd never choose a company with a one year warranty on workmanship. I'd require all warranties in writing as well. Many obvious installation issues would present themselves within the first year, but others could take a few. Same for parts, if he says that he'll replace parts for free, get that in writing and for how long.

indy500

#14 Post by indy500 »

Question on installation.

1. Here are pictures of the original builders grade single hung windows that I think of replacing with Okna 500 Dx DH.
The dealer says the side by side window will sit flush with the exterior wood trim but will be deeper on the inside. Is replacement a correct installation method?

2. The remaining windows are in the brick walls and have narrow window sills inside. I was told that current blinds will not work with the new window depth. Should I find a different window style or what are the options in this case?

Thank you!
Attachments
blinds.jpg
(34.16 KiB) Not downloaded yet
sill.JPG
(79.3 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Window 1.jpg
(83.26 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Ricknez

#15 Post by Ricknez »

Your contractor is correct. Thats par for the course when you have dry wall returns.