Okna 500 dx estimate

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
HomeSealed

Re: Okna 500 dx estimate

#61 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. I'd add that there is some fudge in the way that the seals are designed so being slightly out of square probably won't affect performance (locking smoothly is a fair indicator), however it would be best to get corrected.

indy500

#62 Post by indy500 »

Thank you, HomeSealed!

The greatest challenge is to get the installers back. I have not been successful so far. They keep promising and never schedule. After a year of promises I guess I have to pay for the job that needed to be done in the first place.

indy500

#63 Post by indy500 »

HomeSealed, my last question. :)

Is it possible to have mitered corners on the coil trim? The installer is coming to the house to do the work next week and in the discussion of work that needs to be done, he mentioned that mitered corners are not recommended. Is it true?

Thank you!

HomeSealed

#64 Post by HomeSealed »

Its not uncommon to have mitered trim on the top, not as much on the bottom/sill. Most commonly (at least in this area), a brickmold bend gets mitered top corners where flat trim like yours is cut square. Your installer may be concerned about whatever the trim is being installed over, where he can place a nail, etc.

So in summary, yes mitered corners are possible, however your installer's concerns may also be valid.

On the positive side, it sounds like you have had success getting the installer back out which is a positive development.

indy500

#65 Post by indy500 »

Thank you, HomeSeled!
I hope to have this finished and move to the next project.

Delaware Mike

#66 Post by Delaware Mike »

The only time we don't tend to perform aluminum trim coil mitering of the head cap is on trim board capping in which the top board face width really exceed the width of the leg trim boards like in historic homes. We have older cedar clap board sided homes in my area with lot's of butt joints to all of the wood trim with crown heads. I've personally found if you have modern 2" brickmold trim boards around windows I prefer mitered heads. Some of the guys out there performing this work tend be speed oriented only and don't understand basic building science and don't blind caulk the back side of the metal cap to glue miters and prevent potential water intrusion at the bottom of the miter joint potentially if a proper miter cut isn't performed along with good caulking.

TheWindowNerd

#67 Post by TheWindowNerd »

We also back caulk mitered heads, like DE Mike.

carmelite

#68 Post by carmelite »

@indy500

Did you ever have the owner resolve your install issues?

I got a quote from him for a full frame replacement of two windows in one opening, but got spooked by the way he danced around my exterior trim questions. I have LP SmartTrim around my windows now, and he made it sound like he'd just wrap that with some thin gauge aluminum vs putting the trim back.

Too bad there are no other OKNA dealers that I can find around this area, the windows seem to be really good.

HomeSealed

#69 Post by HomeSealed »

carmelite wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:53 pm @indy500

Did you ever have the owner resolve your install issues?

I got a quote from him for a full frame replacement of two windows in one opening, but got spooked by the way he danced around my exterior trim questions. I have LP SmartTrim around my windows now, and he made it sound like he'd just wrap that with some thin gauge aluminum vs putting the trim back.

Too bad there are no other OKNA dealers that I can find around this area, the windows seem to be really good.
I can't vouch for or against that company, but I'd request the details in writing regarding the exterior trim. You should know exactly what you are getting in that regard.

indy500

#70 Post by indy500 »

Carmelite, HomeSealed,

Sorry for getting back late. That was a struggle with the installers. They came back in three month and reinstalled windows that were not level. The windows are great and I am happy with my choice. Summer or winter - they are well insulated.

The contractor installed new PVC trim around the side by side front windows and Mr. Window team came back and wrapped with the coil. Looks neat now. I would not trust them to do the trim and you have to watch them closely during the installation.
Carmelite, you have to tell them exactly what you want o expect. Not every installer likes his job. I wish crafty hands of HomeSealed, Delaware Mike, Windows on Washington and the rest were available in Indiana!

Thanks to all of you!

TheWindowNerd

#71 Post by TheWindowNerd »

If we did that install you would lose 3/4" to 1" of the pocket depth.
The brackets will need to be remounted and the blinds will be proud a little bit towards the room side.

cheejhai

#72 Post by cheejhai »

Do window grids influence window performance numbers? Is it better to choose windows with grids or without? mobdro 2022
Last edited by cheejhai on Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Windows on Washington

#73 Post by Windows on Washington »

Window grids do create more of a thermal "bridging" to the exterior so if you are on the edge of a U-Factor measurement, the thermal resistance of the assembly may go down a bit. The difference is usually slight an not justifiable on the basis of thermal calculations alone. Never had any client NOT do grids because of thermal data. I don't care for them on the aesthetic, but acknowledge their necessity in many comes for architectural flow and compliance.

srivallibarfi

#74 Post by srivallibarfi »

Do window grids influence window performance numbers? Is it better to choose windows with grids or without? pikashow

tplink login
Last edited by srivallibarfi on Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

HomeSealed

#75 Post by HomeSealed »

They have a slight effect on VT (the amount of light that comes in), but that's about it. No measurable change to efficiency.