ProVia entry door questions

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Mac90

ProVia entry door questions

#1 Post by Mac90 »

Looking at a ProVia entry door with two 14" sidelights. The sidelites will either be Style 130 or 160 with DLA glass. Styles can be seen here: https://www.provia.com/entry-doors/legacy-steel-styles

Heritage Fiberglass - Smooth with no windows - .13 U-factor, .03 air infiltration
Signet Fiberglass - Smooth with no windows - .16 U-factor, .05 air infiltration
Legacy 20ga Steel - Smooth with no windows - .17 U-factor, .04 air infiltration

I know the legacy sidelites drop down to 24ga steel, but other than that I cannot find much of anything. The above ratings only reference the actual door. You can obviously choose the sidelite glass, but what is the amount of insulation around/below the glass(in between the steel/fiberglass)?

I have a quote for a Legacy door with Style 130 sidelites at ~2k. What price range do the fiberglass Signet/Heritage fall into? ..and what do you guys prefer steel or fiberglass?

Thanks

Delaware Mike

Re: ProVia entry door questions

#2 Post by Delaware Mike »

ProVia's Heritage line is actually a Masonite slab in which they perform the finish work, door frame build, and glass. Depending upon if you desire a painted door finish verses a stained finish typically dictates which series I will recommend. I like the Signet in most cases, however that's a price jump over their 20-gauge Legacy steel skinned doors. I wouldn't worry about the steel sidelites being thinner gauge galvanized steel than that of the actual door slab. One would never even know if it was specified. All are filled with high density urethane foam.

If you get a lot of direct south western sunlight exposure the Legacy steel will hold up much better than fiberlgass. The plastic trim kits that house any glass are an issue too. I like plugless myself.

Mac90

#3 Post by Mac90 »

Delaware Mike wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:34 am ProVia's Heritage line is actually a Masonite slab in which they perform the finish work, door frame build, and glass. Depending upon if you desire a painted door finish verses a stained finish typically dictates which series I will recommend. I like the Signet in most cases, however that's a price jump over their 20-gauge Legacy steel skinned doors. I wouldn't worry about the steel sidelites being thinner gauge galvanized steel than that of the actual door slab. One would never even know if it was specified. All are filled with high density urethane foam.

If you get a lot of direct south western sunlight exposure the Legacy steel will hold up much better than fiberlgass. The plastic trim kits that house any glass are an issue too. I like plugless myself.
I am not going wood grain, so no stain, just normal white paint. I assume there is no reason to then pay more for the fiberglass?

What do you mean by plugless?

Delaware Mike

#4 Post by Delaware Mike »

Plugless would refer to if there is any glass in the doors. On certain door series, the PVC glass surround trim kit which traditionally had a ton of interior screws to hold the inside and outside together with little concealment plugs to hide the screw heads. Not a big deal unless one ever has to change out the glass or damaged surround kit from sun damage. The new plugs can be belligerent as all hell to get back in sometimes.