Window installation questions

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Mac90

Window installation questions

#1 Post by Mac90 »

#1) What type of lumber do you guys use to frame out a masonry/cinder block opening? I was told pressure treated 2x's are a no go as they will eat through the aluminum trim. I wanted to use pressure treated and a foam sill, but it seems I will have to settle for just the foam sill?

#2) When installing a replacement window stud to stud, what type of prep work should I expect? Either liquid flash or tape is required? Sloped sill(or is this not needed if the window itself has it)?

Thanks!

Windows on Washington

Re: Window installation questions

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

We normally use PVC, but if the PT isn't touching the coil, you are fine.

Mac90

#3 Post by Mac90 »

a PVC wrapped aluminum trim?

..and any thoughts on #2?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#4 Post by masterext »

With pvc coated aluminum, one side is coated and the other side is bare aluminum, not painted. I would not use PT wood with any aluminum or else the chemicals in the PT wood will cause a reaction and corrode the aluminum. Don't do it.
You can certainly wrap normal wood window or door trim with aluminum, that's never an issue.

Delaware Mike

#5 Post by Delaware Mike »

You can frame to masonry with 5/4 treated and then veneer the R/O with 1/2 regular wood. Older dried out pressure treated wood isn't so much an issue and soaking wet fresh out of the chemical bath new stuff. 50% of PVC trim coils are painted on back side of the roll and not just mill finished. Even so, they don't what the chemicals potentially coming in contact long term with aluminum. Some guys will wrap the treated with poly if they have to stop the bridge.

I pan flash with DuPont or Zip Wall's complete systems. That includes the 4" peel and stick flange tape. Low-expansion spray foam perimeter from R/O to window, back caulking the flange, correct exterior WRB or trim board application and you will never be able to get that system to leak.

toddinmn

#6 Post by toddinmn »

The rough open get doesn’t get aluminum trim installed on it . The actual trim/casing does not need to be pressure . As stated, a barrier should be installed between treated and aluminum .