Window Capping

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Jen-Phila

Window Capping

#1 Post by Jen-Phila »

The person who installed our vinyl windows did not paint/cap after and we have exposed wood and chipping paint. He did not charge us for it, but he did not inform us that we would need it either. Another, "if I knew then, what I know now" scenario, but alas.

Can anyone shed some light on if window installers will provide exterior trim capping only services? Of the 2 I have reached out to, none will do it separately and others have not called back.

If I can get as far as to get someone to do it, I feel like most of what I read is to choose vinyl over aluminum.

Any help and insight from you helpful folks would be greatly appreciated thanks.

HomeSealed

Re: Window Capping

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

Exterior capping is done in aluminum with either a baked on enamel, or a PVC coating (has a woodgrain texture). The latter is thicker and costs more (rigidity is good in this case), but it can also collect dirt on lighter colors.

As far as getting someone to do it, its not entirely out of the ordinary for a window company to accept a trim only job, but with two caveats:

1) Right now our industry is very busy, so that will limit the people that are willing to take this on
2) Its more conventional to trim older, existing windows in these cases. Asking another contractor to come in and trim a newly installed window could spell trouble. Lets say the window leaks next summer. The trim guy says it was a bad window install and has nothing to do with him, where the installer says the trim guy did something wrong. Ultimately there will be a correct answer, but getting to it might not be easy.

Have you asked the original installer if you can pay him to come back and do the trim? ... If he doesn't have the equipment or knowledge to do so, I'd be worried about the installation overall.

Jen-Phila

#3 Post by Jen-Phila »

Thanks so much for the reply. You bring up a lot of great points. Hopefully we can find someone who will take it on.
Have you asked the original installer if you can pay him to come back and do the trim? ... If he doesn't have the equipment or knowledge to do so, I'd be worried about the installation overall.
I haven't. I'm concerned about the mess he made on the install, and the lack of communication about the need for capping, that I have a hard time trusting him to complete the work. Maybe I'm being too harsh? I'm not sure how much clean up and explanation like this is standard.

toddinmn

#4 Post by toddinmn »

What is on the exterior now, just wood trim or trim that has aluminum on it ?
Sounds like you had aluminum enclosed trim and they did nothing with gap between the old storm and new window?

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Jen, are you in Philly?
DE Mike or myself might be able to do.
As Brandon said we are all busy, right now newly signed contract are looking at an install date of April or May.
Pictures of the exterior, qty, and color will all help in getting you an estimate.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

@Jen, I'd definitely take Window Nerd up on that offer, he and Delaware Mike are are the best. I don't like the split accountability issue as I mentioned earlier, but if either of those guys can fit you in that is certainly an exception to the rule as its guaranteed to be done right.

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Thx Brandon.
You always lead well, I appreciate that.

Jenn send me pictures and we are reviewing the project. It is an old house with painted wood shake siding , the wood window frames have a 5/4 x 4 flat casing some with a nice crown. My suggestion was to keep painting all till they decide to go completely maintance free. Also I suggested if they do want the frames capped to maybe leave the crowns painted wood to keep the detail.

wayne theWindowNerd