Polaris? Vinylmax? NE Ohio Quote Questions

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Bob74

Polaris? Vinylmax? NE Ohio Quote Questions

#1 Post by Bob74 »

Last week I had an installer come out and give me an estimate for 10 windows. I'm looking at the following and I'm not sure if these prices sound good or if I should look elsewhere or for a different product. He also told me he could get Provia/Pella/Alside/Anderson but didn't quote me on those. I'm looking at the following:

1. Vinylmax Franklin Series - Intelliglass+ - Triple pane w/ super spacer. $5500.
2. Polaris Thermalweld Plus - Triple pane. $6500.
3. Polaris Ultraweld - Triple pane. $7000.

I know Polaris gets a lot of love around here but I'm wondering if Vinylmax has the better product? Not only is it cheaper but its U-Value is 0.18 from what I can tell.

Thermalweld is 0.24, and Ultraweld is 0.24 as well from what l've found. Maybe those are outdated numbers?

Any input here would be great. It seems like Vinylmax has a good product.

TheWindowNerd

Re: Polaris? Vinylmax? NE Ohio Quote Questions

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

You always want to see what the AL test results are.
I only looked up the Vinylmax, I would not suggest or use a unit that is .12 AL. You will have drafts.
.05 or less for AL.

wayne theWindowNerd

Bob74

#3 Post by Bob74 »

Great, that is exactly the type of thing I thought I might be overlooking. Mind sharing where you found that information? It would be nice if there was a central location to find this info.

The only info I can find on the Polaris offerings is this blurb on their site: "Our windows are proven to be virtually air tight with air infiltration ratings as low as .01." It doesn't specify which window or which glass configurations meet which ratings.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Glass packages do not impact AL.

I found it on their website, hidden, I had to drill down to find. Which typically means it is bad.

Ask the sales rep uyou are dealing with to share the structural test report the the units you are considering.

theWindowNerd.com

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

Options 2 or 3 are good. The Ultimate2 glass from Polaris would be similar (2 low e surfaces on triple pane) and gets a .18 U value. Both Polaris lines have much better air leakage ratings as Window Nerd alluded to. Also keep in mind that most info about the Thermalweld on forums and blogs refer to the old Thermalweld model which wasn't that great, the new Thermalweld plus is much better.

With all of that said, have you done homework on the installing company? Those prices sound about right for 5-10 years ago but they throw up some red flags these days. The fact that he appears to offer every window that his local building supply house sells is as well.

Bob74

#6 Post by Bob74 »

HomeSealed wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:15 pm Options 2 or 3 are good. The Ultimate2 glass from Polaris would be similar (2 low e surfaces on triple pane) and gets a .18 U value. Both Polaris lines have much better air leakage ratings as Window Nerd alluded to. Also keep in mind that most info about the Thermalweld on forums and blogs refer to the old Thermalweld model which wasn't that great, the new Thermalweld plus is much better.

With all of that said, have you done homework on the installing company? Those prices sound about right for 5-10 years ago but they throw up some red flags these days. The fact that he appears to offer every window that his local building supply house sells is as well.
The installing company seems to have a relatively short history which was definitely a red flag for me. That said the installer was quite willing to give me references to previous clients and seemed pretty knowledgeable. On the other hand from the standpoint of your typical homeowner it wouldn't take much for an installer to sound like they know what they're talking about.

I have another installer coming out later this week so another quote so at least I'll have another direct option to compare it to.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#7 Post by masterext »

All good companies started off with "a relatively short history". If they didn't, they wouldn't have any history at all.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

Masterext has a fair and true point above, but as a homeowner, you may want to give that issue more weight given that according to the SBA, only 4% of companies in this sector survive more than 5 years. Yes all companies start with a short story, but pretty few make it past 5 and 10 year marks.

At that pricing, the 96% is where that guy will be headed more likely than not. Given the fact that windows have moving parts and pieces, service is inevitable even for high quality products. For that reason among others, it would be wise to choose a company that will be around to serve you. While there are no guarantees positive or negative, there are factors to consider that drastically improve your odds.

Bob74

#9 Post by Bob74 »

With what you mentioned about the pricing being a little outdated - should I expect to be paying more or less?

I think my ideal option is ThermalWeld Plus for a price/performance balance. As also mentioned above the window itself could be good but if it allows air infiltration it is all for nothing.

Kennedy

#10 Post by Kennedy »

Hey Bob,

I just had Polaris Thermalweld Plus triple pane windows put in last week. I'm in Parma and the work was done by Airko out of Rocky River. Jim at Airko was great to work with.
Where in NE Ohio are you?

HomeSealed

#11 Post by HomeSealed »

Bob74 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:00 am With what you mentioned about the pricing being a little outdated - should I expect to be paying more or less?

I think my ideal option is ThermalWeld Plus for a price/performance balance. As also mentioned above the window itself could be good but if it allows air infiltration it is all for nothing.
Some of the prices are alarmingly low. $550 a window even for a questionable window is not sustainable, and $700 for a higher end with triple pane is also very low. The TW+ with double pane at $650 per doesn't seem all that far off, at least not as much as the others. Very odd price discrepancy between the TW and UW if this is the same dealer.

Bob74

#12 Post by Bob74 »

Kennedy wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:04 pm Hey Bob,

I just had Polaris Thermalweld Plus triple pane windows put in last week. I'm in Parma and the work was done by Airko out of Rocky River. Jim at Airko was great to work with.
Where in NE Ohio are you?
Seven Hills. Mind if I ask how many windows you got installed and what your quote looked like?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#13 Post by masterext »

“as a homeowner, you may want to give that issue more weight given that according to the SBA, only 4% of companies in this sector survive more than 5 years. “
I agree that a younger company should be properly vented.

TheWindowNerd

#14 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Many of us were young once, I am beginning to feel "the old as dirt" moniker is starting to fit.
I believe HomeSealed is correct that a reasonably profit has to be, if a company is to survive.
I long while ago I asked Furman what I should do to help my business. He said raise your price. Okay, how much. 15%
I did it, and it has allowed me to survive some tough markets.
I am still in this for the long haul, four + decades, my son will take over in 5 years or less as I retire.
Durability, quality, grit, and kindness = a well earned reputation.

wayne@thewindownerd.com

Bob74

#15 Post by Bob74 »

Got a second estimate yesterday.

Polaris ThermalWeld Plus - dual pane - $4500

Polaris ThermalWeld Plus - triple pane - $6200