Impact of SHGC differences

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
vvhatfor

Impact of SHGC differences

#1 Post by vvhatfor »

Long time lurker (used this forums for window replacement research in the past) but now I'm in a different home and different criteria. I'm looking to replace south-facing, wooden single-pane windows in Maryland. The reason for replacements is for comfort, the wooden frame gets north of 110 in the afternoons and the rooms get warm (even when it's less than 70 outside). I've tried reflective films and it helps to reduce the temps on the frames by about 5 degrees with little impact on the actual room itself.

I've got some quotes with the following options (make/model, u-factor, shgc):
1) Soft-Lite Classic Plus with Solar LowE and Argon Glass, 0.27, 0.22
2) Soft-Lite Pro Series Triple Pane with Solar UltraS Glass, 0.23, 0.19
3) Okna 500 Deluxe SunSeal, 0.25, 0.21

#2 and #3 are comparably priced while #1 is about $100 less per window. I'd like to understand if a .01 or .03 difference in SHGC will make any real-world difference in terms of how warm the rooms get in the afternoon sun. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Last edited by vvhatfor on Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

HomeSealed

Re: Impact of SHGC differences

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

The SHGC performance that you will see from the glass on those three options will be very comparable, I would consider it a wash. With that said, I'd still suggest that the premium for option 2 or 3 is worth it. Option 2 gives triple pane glass which is a nice upgrade, and option 3 is the best engineered product of the group. The better comparison would be what Softlite now calls the Imperial Elite, which is upstream from the Pro and Classic.

Lastly, keep the installation in mind as well, that should be given proper weight. In MD, if you are in the service area of Windows on Washington I'd highly recommend contacting them, they are one of the best outfits around and that would be great news for you.

vvhatfor

#3 Post by vvhatfor »

Yeah, I've used WoW before and option #3 is from them when I asked about a mid-grade product with low SHGC this time around.

Thanks for the input!

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

Sounds like a winner IMO, the fact that you are finding the price competitive even though its a superior product and a proven installation company just solidifies that. No company is perfect, but finding one that does a good job, offers good customer service, and will be around to service your purchase down the road can be worth its weight in gold.

vvhatfor

#5 Post by vvhatfor »

I wouldn't say I found a winner just yet heh ... I've also worked with the other installer who provided #1/#2 options and the Soft-lites before. The previous house had Okna's in the front put in and the Soft-lites in the rear; I started with the 500s in the front and thought they were overkill for what I needed so I went with the Soft-lites in the back of the house to save some money when I couldn't get the 400s (WoW told me they didn't carry the 400s anymore). I think I've ruled out #2 based on your comment about the numbers being a wash and now the question is whether I value the $100 per window premium that the Okna brings.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

I would argue that you actually found a winner...but I am a bit of a homer.

Email me at the office directly.

Enovotny@windowsonwashington.net

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

I wouldn't put option 1 in my home regardless of the savings. It was a fine window many years ago when it was a new, design, but at this point the only thing keeping that product around is the brand name. I'd love to see you choose WoW and in the long term I think that you would be very happy with that choice, but even if you don't, I would opt for a window other than option 1.

vvhatfor

#8 Post by vvhatfor »

Appreciate the input, thank you both!

toddinmn

#9 Post by toddinmn »

I think the Classic is still a solid window and better than most out there. It is kept around because it is still a solid window and gives Soft-Lite a different line That is available to different dealers.
If I was to use that window I would option it out with SuperSpacer, sash reinforcement, and foam enhancement. This is pretty much making it the Pro and the cost to do this would exceed the Pro.
The price delta therefore would not work me in this case and the 500 is the winner IMO.

fridge2020

#10 Post by fridge2020 »

I agree with above, sounds like a winner in the Okna option. Not fan of SL Classico Craptastico.

vvhatfor

#11 Post by vvhatfor »

Appreciate all the input, ended up going with the the Okna 500dx w/o sunseal after talking to Eric. I'll try to remember to report back after they've been installed in a couple months and include the temperature differences on the frames (albeit the outside air temp is going to be higher then).

toddinmn

#12 Post by toddinmn »

You got one one of the best installers IMO.

Windows on Washington

#13 Post by Windows on Washington »

Thanks for the glowing endorsements guys. We will try to live up to the reputation to be certain.